Boy Oh Boy!!!

Got something to sell or trade? Feel free to post in this group!
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Boy Oh Boy!!!

Post by Racso_MS »

Take a look at what a newbie paid... :cry:

He (the seller (no names) of course) is pretty convincing though...

Makes everything look real good...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26fvi%3D1

I'd have sold him one for less than half what he paid...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
The Truthinator

Post by The Truthinator »

"The Perfect Christmas Gift for the man in your life."

Now you know who would pay that much money.
MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

even the starting price looked high (to me)..

Apparently the 1969 black plastic handle SS is the "tuxedo of razors".
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

The seller has a history. Any detailed discussion would probably be deleted.

BobS
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
seabass

Post by seabass »

holy crap - just think of what he could have gotten at that price
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

Astounding - no case etc.
The starting bid is more than I would sell one for.
Heck I just GAVE one away here not long ago!
Pity the buyer.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

Yeah, that kind of scratch oughta buy you a work of art, not a journeyman razor...

k
Occam

Post by Occam »

It happens.

The zero feedback is the key.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
NeedleRat

Post by NeedleRat »

Personally I think it is bogus. I've been watching some of these outrageously priced auctions and the one thing they all have in common, is bidders/buyers with little to no feedback. In this case, this is the buyers first time (going under the assumption no one has ever left feedback).

Whenever I am bidding on anything, the minute I see someone with 0 or a very low number jump in, I quit bidding. Call me a skeptic.

Jeff
I don't have diabetes, I'm insulin challenged.
Sando

Post by Sando »

Here's another:
*1949 GILLETTE SUPER-SPEED RAZOR SET CLEAN/SHAVE READY*
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... NA:US:1123
Can a '49 really be worth $71?

I am skeptical of EBay as well. It's ripe for people to work the system if they wanted to. But I get in there and find some deals now and again.

...Ray
Occam

Post by Occam »

NeedleRat wrote:Personally I think it is bogus. I've been watching some of these outrageously priced auctions and the one thing they all have in common, is bidders/buyers with little to no feedback. In this case, this is the buyers first time (going under the assumption no one has ever left feedback).

Whenever I am bidding on anything, the minute I see someone with 0 or a very low number jump in, I quit bidding. Call me a skeptic.

Jeff
I'm similarly skeptical with 0 feedback bidders.

There's two ways this could have gone. The 0'er bidder is a genuine newbie who was pumped higher by the 6'er who is the seller shill (note that the 6'er has bought an antique phone). The seller is also an antique seller so there is a plausible tentative connection there. The phone bought does not appear in the seller's items, but it would be too obvious if it was sold immediately. If that phone ever comes up for auction by the razor seller then that would be a smoking gun.

The other way is that the 6'er is the genuine buyer and the 0'er is the shill. In this case the 0'er has nibbled at all the 6'ers bids attempting to exhaust the automatic bidding limit since it's gone up to a high level. The 0'er wins but the 6'er is offered a second chance to buy.

Now if this ends up as a second chance offer then the second scenario becomes very likely.

It is usually too much of a hassle for power sellers to do this. It's much easier to just let sales go to their natural end. But in exceptional circumstances, where the price gets up to levels where it's equivalent to several sales then this may become an incentive. Also where the seller has a past history of the same, then it becomes more likely.

Watch for the telephone going on sale over the next few months, or the 6'er getting the sale via second chance.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
John 5

Post by John 5 »

The activities of this particular seller has generated multi page threads here in the past, and not of the complementary type, I might add. Most old timers here know about him, but He is Not Spoken Of. It is surmised that He ruffled his feathers and made threats of legal action against the forum, for speaking of Him was more or less banned, or at the least taboo, for lack of a better word. Just a heads up.

John
Occam

Post by Occam »

John 5 wrote:The activities of this particular seller has generated multi page threads here in the past, and not of the complementary type, I might add. Most old timers here know about him, but He is Not Spoken Of. It is surmised that He ruffled his feathers and made threats of legal action against the forum, for speaking of Him was more or less banned, or at the least taboo, for lack of a better word. Just a heads up.

John
No one has mentioned any names. I think everything thus far is within the bounds of decent free speech.

Nevertheless, the legal action threat is a cause for mirth to me... a poor artist trying to earn some cash for buying paint... whatever... maybe the IRS would be interested in auditing some of this cash ;)
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
rocketv8

Post by rocketv8 »

Even though the buyer has 0 feedback, the problem is that there are many people willing to pay such high amounts.

Sure there are sellers that may have some false advertising or overhype a normal razor, but some people just have too much money to throw around.

The other side of the coin is that I have seen several good deals on razors end without bids. Luckily, those are the some of the ones I have been able to win.

-Glen
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Please no one mention the seller's name. Please. :lol:
Richard
Occam

Post by Occam »

Look at this auction...

http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... 0198230452

Are there more 0'ers looking for razors nowadays?

Maybe someone should take down the shaveblog site... I think that's one huge source of eBay fuel... and the funny thing is that the author knows it since he laments the rising price of eBay razors.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Occam wrote:
John 5 wrote:The activities of this particular seller has generated multi page threads here in the past, and not of the complementary type, I might add. Most old timers here know about him, but He is Not Spoken Of. It is surmised that He ruffled his feathers and made threats of legal action against the forum, for speaking of Him was more or less banned, or at the least taboo, for lack of a better word. Just a heads up.

John
No one has mentioned any names. I think everything thus far is within the bounds of decent free speech.

Nevertheless, the legal action threat is a cause for mirth to me... a poor artist trying to earn some cash for buying paint... whatever... maybe the IRS would be interested in auditing some of this cash ;)
Yes, I could not agree more. I, for one, was adamantly against any censoring of the type. But, I do recall this site’s owner, citing some sort of threats of legal action from The Artist, or something of that nature, very kindly requesting of us certain things, such as not to defame the guy. Without touching upon the legal merits of whatever The Struggling Artist’s threats were, they apparently brought upon the administration an unwanted hassle.

For fun, look at the Artist’s (a painter, I believe) other auctions, and marble at the beautiful Gillette Red Tip, with the tip as red and full as the day it was born. Alas, he does claim to believe ‘it has never been used’.

John
Occam

Post by Occam »

John 5 wrote: For fun, look at the Artist’s (a painter, I believe) other auctions, and marble at the beautiful Gillette Red Tip, with the tip as red and full as the day it was born. Alas, he does claim to believe ‘it has never been used’.

John

If you mean item 280179480346

That tip does look very artistic. A good thing the Artiste is an aspiring painter and not a writer... the phraseology is cryptic... witness...

"Blue blade box is sealed but is unopened"

The text is magnificent in a starving Viennese Artiste kind of way...

"Invest in the Best This is grow in value."

Wonderful. The kind of person who would make me shake in my boots given the tight and precise letters in perfect legalese he could write to me ;)
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Occam wrote:The text is magnificent in a starving Viennese Artiste kind of way...

"Invest in the Best This is grow in value."

Wonderful. The kind of person who would make me shake in my boots given the tight and precise letters in perfect legalese he could write to me ;)
I have no comment...other than to use a 'smily', for the first time, perhaps: :lol:

John
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

Sando wrote:Here's another:
*1949 GILLETTE SUPER-SPEED RAZOR SET CLEAN/SHAVE READY*
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... NA:US:1123
Can a '49 really be worth $71?

I am skeptical of EBay as well. It's ripe for people to work the system if they wanted to. But I get in there and find some deals now and again.

...Ray
This particular seller is an active participant on the other forum, and he's a first class seller and great guy. He's a very good merchandiser, so, yes, it's true that he probably gets a higher sale price on average than less energetic salesman.

That said, you will generally be able to lower your acquisition costs by targetting sellers who don't specialize in razor reselling.

Chuck
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”