Why remove the price after selling?

Got something to sell or trade? Feel free to post in this group!
koeos

Why remove the price after selling?

Post by koeos »

Just curious. Why remove the price after selling?

I think it would be interesting to see the escalation in price for things sold here over the past few years. By removing the prices it makes that much harder.
- Mark
TstebinsB

Re: Why remove the price after selling?

Post by TstebinsB »

koeos wrote:Just curious. Why remove the price after selling?

I think it would be interesting to see the escalation in price for things sold here over the past few years. By removing the prices it makes that much harder.
+29872511241255
DEF

Post by DEF »

As much as I spend on this hobby, I may as well use "The Fatboy Index" in salary negotiations with my boss. (I'll also take a six-month option on 500 ml of Eucris.)

If I have deleted price info in the past, it would have been only incidental to marking the item as sold and not a deliberate choice.
Doug
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I like to delete prices on items I sell. That way I can charge more next time. :lol:
mission of burma shave

Post by mission of burma shave »

not exactly sure why people do it but I think it has something to do with repeat business. I wish they wouldn't.
regards,

mj
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

I used to do it because I saw others do it...Not a good reason huh? I leave them alone now as instructed.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

i try not to. i find myself doing it on occasion though. but i see what youre saying.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I've also used final sale prices as guides in pricing my stuff. It's just that much harder without them and I, too, fail to see what is gained by deleting them.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

D.Irving79 wrote:i try not to. i find myself doing it on occasion though. but i see what youre saying.
When you find yourself doing it, what do you find yourself thinking the reason is?
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

pretty much that since the item is no longer available, whats the point of leaving up a price tag, ya know?
yomuppet

Post by yomuppet »

D.Irving79 wrote:pretty much that since the item is no longer available, whats the point of leaving up a price tag, ya know?
I have to agree with that. Do you leave the pricetag on all your clothes, in case the people around you are curious about the price? Do stores leave pricetags up and blank areas in the aisle for items they are no longer selling?

In addition, on occasions where I have forgotten to remove a price, I get further inquiries via PM about purchasing the item, even though the subject is clearly marked "SOLD". If I have replaced the price with "SOLD", however, I have so far not gotten one such inquiry.

Furthermore, I would suggest that each seller be free to edit or delete as they choose, since it is their posting.

Regards.

J
DEF

Post by DEF »

What I really want to know, though, is how the incidence of post-sale price removal has trended over the past few years.
Doug
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I couple of times when I have bought things from the Selling & Trading forum, I have forgotten what the price actually was. Going back to the original thread for the price, I found it gone and had to PM back and forth with the seller to be certain of the price.

I see no reason to remove the price from the post. If you must, at the very least wait until you know that the buyer has sent payment. As others have said, the posted prices also help to establish benchmarks and help new sellers to see what the general expectations are among buyers here.

- Murray
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

yomuppet wrote:Furthermore, I would suggest that each seller be free to edit or delete as they choose, since it is their posting.
I agree with that, insomuch as I don't really think a rule against modifying sale posts would be appropriate. But I do think it's a real disservice to everybody when sellers go in and remove prices (and sometimes entire posts) after a sale.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I used to remove the price, but that was because I saw everyone else do it. Now I leave it as it gives people an idea of what the 'going rate' is. If I have something to sell now, I nearly always look up recent selling prices to see how much to put it out for.
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

I like to see the price removed so that the world won't know that I was crazy enough to pay "that" for yet another shaving brush or what have you. :oops:
Regards,

jimmy