WTB: Somerset Simpsons

Got something to sell or trade? Feel free to post in this group!
churchilllafemme

WTB: Somerset Simpsons

Post by churchilllafemme »

Just my usual monthly reminder. As some of you know, I collect and shave with Somerset (pre-Vulfix) Simpson brushes. If you have any of these older beauties you decide you want to sell, please let me know, preferably before posting an ad. Thanks.
_______
John
melyus
Vendor

Post by melyus »

John still looking for somersets ? im really curious when you will stop and how many do you have my friend.. When you finish your thread sure i will started new one but im not sure if i find any :)
btw i see and checked your collection in the other thread. Really beautiful brushes you got there. Congrats.

Regards.
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

melyus wrote:John still looking for somersets ? im really curious when you will stop and how many do you have my friend.. When you finish your thread sure i will started new one but im not sure if i find any :)
btw i see and checked your collection in the other thread. Really beautiful brushes you got there. Congrats.

Regards.
Yes, I'm still looking. There are a few holes in the collection. Thanks for the kind words. When I die I'm going to leave the brushes to my two nephews.
_______
John
paddy

Post by paddy »

If you have any of these older beauties you decide you want to sell, please let me know, preferably before posting an ad
i have been watching this develop for a while, and i'm going to speak out now and to hell with the consequences.

i think that to request / encourage people here on SMF who want to sell a somerset simpson to not post publicly about the sale here on SMF so that all SMF members know about the sale and instead just do private sales to yourself is just plain selfish and greedy.

i also find it bemusing that the public means you are encouraging the sellers not to use, you have no scruples about using that public forum to actually get the brushes yourself!

by all means build up your collection and enjoy it. but why deny other members the potential opportunity to purchase somerset simpsons from sellers?
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

See nothing amiss here Paddy, it's why we have this forum for members to offer to buy or sell. It's an open, friendly communication and either party is free to choose if the deal is acceptable.
Regards,
Squire
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

I've sold a lot of Somersets to John and i do not see any objection in his monthly requests. As far as i'm concerned he'll continue to do so. I'll be happy to sell him Somersets...that's to say, if i can part with them... :)
Peter
paddy

Post by paddy »

the monthly requests aren't a problem. it's the fact that they are now coupled with a specific request to any prospective selling member not to post an ad. that is is going too far and that is what i have the problem with.

why would he be making this request not to post an ad other than to deny other members the potential of buying?
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
river1

Post by river1 »

Come on everyone, lighten up. These Forums are supposed to be fun and everyone is free to sell or buy. John has sent along several of these Somerset brush sales to several of us in the past
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Isn't it up to the owner of the particular brush if they choose to list it as a FS item, or just PM John if they decide to part with their Somerset brush? I see John's post simply as a WTB with a bit of excessive instruction attached. I have the impression that somewhere around 100% of folks who respond to a WTB listing do exactly what John suggests, send a PM to the person who wants to buy it. That's what I'd do, as opposed to thinking "well, look, here's a fellow who wants to buy something, I think I have one of those. Maybe he'll buy mine, but first I've got to list it for sale, and THEN I'll send John a PM and find out if he's a buyer." If John's understandably just a little bit OCD about the Simpson's, he might be applying a bit of unneeded control to the situation. :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
paddy

Post by paddy »

i have nothing against john personally. heck, i am sure he is a nice guy, but what is going on here is total hoarding, pure and simple, and it's now got to the point where it is to the detriment of other members. i find that distasteful, particularly when it is abundant that the man is clearly not short of a somerset brush or two.

there is only a finite amount of somerset simpsons out there and getting them from other members is really the only way. i view my relatively small brush collection as complete and am not in the market. but say some newer member here just starting out wanted to buy a nice somerset in the last year since john has been a member? or have the opportunity to have first go at a really nice one before john? he hasnt a hope! maybe john has sold some on, but presumably those are only the ones he didn't want to keep. how generous!

just so you know i have had pms from at least 2 other smf members agreeing with my stance. maybe they haven't posted publically because whenever anyone here puts their hand up and says that they are not happy with the status quo, they tend to get smacked down by the usual suspects. i shall say no more.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Paddy, you raise some good points. If the brushes start showing up on ebay at healthy margins over cost, then it would appear to be not hoarding, but exploitation.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

I really think he is collecting for his own benefit. I do not see him hoarding as to sell the collection at another time.

i for one have no problem with is requests, other than I envy the growing collection.
texquill

Post by texquill »

"Obsessed"? "Persistent Collector"? Whichever label you might choose for John, you still should end up with the same conclusion: No one is forcing anyone to sell their Somersets without listing them for all to see. If someone has a Somerset that they are looking to monetize, but, for whatever reason, they don't feel they want to list it in the "For Sale" ads, this presents a convenient avenue for both seller and buyer.

My only observation regarding John's request that he'd prefer to be contacted before the owner posts an ad is that he certainly was stating the obvious!

Good luck with completing the collection, John!
Ken
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I find the collection of shaving brushes...ownership of more than five at once...to be kind of weird. Of course, I own twenty-seven copies of the Merriam Webster's New International Dictionary; Second Edition, so what do I know.

Buzz
Biggiej42

Post by Biggiej42 »

paddy wrote:i have nothing against john personally. heck, i am sure he is a nice guy, but what is going on here is total hoarding, pure and simple, and it's now got to the point where it is to the detriment of other members. i find that distasteful, particularly when it is abundant that the man is clearly not short of a somerset brush or two.

there is only a finite amount of somerset simpsons out there and getting them from other members is really the only way. i view my relatively small brush collection as complete and am not in the market. but say some newer member here just starting out wanted to buy a nice somerset in the last year since john has been a member? or have the opportunity to have first go at a really nice one before john? he hasnt a hope! maybe john has sold some on, but presumably those are only the ones he didn't want to keep. how generous!

just so you know i have had pms from at least 2 other smf members agreeing with my stance. maybe they haven't posted publically because whenever anyone here puts their hand up and says that they are not happy with the status quo, they tend to get smacked down by the usual suspects. i shall say no more.
I've been lurking around here for a while, looking for nice brushes. However, I haven't seen any other WTB's posted for simpson mancurians other than the OP's. What's stopping you, or anyone else from posting your own WTB. IMO, the OP can make whatever kind of requests he would like, as long as it's within the rules.

Also, it's a WTB thread, not a "let's vent because I don't like it" thread. I'm looking through multiple posts of plain clutter in someone's WTB.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hello Biggie, welcome aboard.

I believe this thread has wandered enough so I'm closing it now. John or anyone else is welcome to pose a similar WTB thread.
Regards,
Squire