Atkinsons *SOLD*

Got something to sell or trade? Feel free to post in this group!
F.W. Fitch

Atkinsons *SOLD*

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Hi all.

I have an 8 oz. glass bottle of the Atkinsons "ROYAL BRIAR" cologne that was discontinued around 2007-8. It has been kept in a dark cold closet since that time and is cellophane wrapped. This is a fairly potent scent that is rare to find. The factory was heavily damaged during Hurricane Sandy in 2012, that's the reason their Lavender water is also gone forever, too.

I would like $75.00. That includes shipping for USA addresses.

No trades please. PM if interested. This item is now sold. Mods - you can archive.
Last edited by F.W. Fitch on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EL Alamein

Re: ATKINSONS COLOGNE

Post by EL Alamein »

Fitch, good luck with this. This is an excellent men's cologne from the very early 1940's if what I read is accurate. It was from a time when men were men.

I have loved this stuff as a favorite men's cologne for years and probably have the largest stock left of it in the Western World and they will probably bury me with the remains of my cache. I shall cherish it.

However, of late, I don't like anything as potent at this (loved the Lavender also and could still use it). My olfactories have become very sensitive so it only gets play every once in a while in the form of a drop on the back of the wrist and I can smell it for days after. Lots of memories tied up in it. It would always draw compliments.

The last time I wore it full strength was when my first son was born and the very attractive young nurse attending remarked at how good it smelled and she needed to know what is was to get for her new husband. She was very tactful in asking this while my young very pregnant wife lay on the birthing bed. She wasn't too happy that you couldn't get it anymore. And, no, the Carroll's version is NOT the same. I have a bottle of Carroll's and it's like an entirely different cologne (never-mind the marketing ploy). I won't wear it.

One cannot get this anymore. And I believe that the old formula cannot be sold nowadays with the current scent regulations (though Bargepole would be authoritatively more knowledgeable on this than I) which is one factor why, I guess, that the Carroll's smell so different.

Chris
F.W. Fitch

Re: ATKINSONS COLOGNE

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Chris, I appreciate your interesting comments and take on this one. Thanks for the kindness and for taking the time. You make me not want to sell it any longer. I do have another bottle I have been dipping into for a bit. They are generous sized bottles at 8 ounces. I had the same size in their (US-blended) "Gold Medal" and can't remember if I sold that to you or to Basil? Well, it's been some time ago, and I kind of wished I would have given that one a bit more time. I do recall Gordon saying; that he had heard that the original "Royal Briar", when sold on Bond Street, was even MORE heady! That is fun to imagine. They even had hair brilliantine in this also.

It is very wearable and not to be feared. I will continue to keep a little on hand. I do like it. For those wondering, I would say Knize 10 projects more. Therefore, don't fear this one being 'overwhelming'. It is uncommon and rare. 3.5 oz. of Trumper or Penhaligon's costs a good deal more. This is ,ahem, 8 ozs.

Fitch
EL Alamein

Re: Atkinsons *SOLD*

Post by EL Alamein »

Fitch, my pleasure. Strong memories and very good times associated with this for me.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

I looked up the reviews on Basenote. There aren't many reviews, but they're all positive and informative, no negatives.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, if what's available on the web is accurate then it's something from a bygone era. That in itself can be intriguing for some folks like myself.

I don't know if all the lure is really what it's cracked up to be but I like it and I liked the compliments it drew. Those compliments weren't for me, a homely man, but for the scent itself. That was an indicator, for me, that it was a really good scent. That gave validation to some of the accolades this scent has gotten on the web.

I hope whoever bought it enjoys it.

Chris