New straight shaver seeks assistance for used equipment

Got something to sell or trade? Feel free to post in this group!
Joedy

New straight shaver seeks assistance for used equipment

Post by Joedy »

Hello everyone.

I’ve spent the last several days reading about straight razor shaving after unwittingly clicking a link about wet shaving on www.digg.com.

I suppose that my story mimics most other straight razor shavers: initial interest, skeptically terrified denial that it is still possible to do in the days of portable, automated technology gizmos, a sense of hesitation that just maybe the folks from days ago just might have already invented the perfect solution and we’ve been recreating newer and “better” solutions (which continue to fix what wasn’t broke) ever since.

I’ve taken the sage and wise advice to heart from many of the posts here, on Yahoo groups, at Badger&Blade and from other medias available on the internet, thus I am currently looking to acquire a used, but ready to shave straight razor for my foray into the world of SRS (Straight Razor Shaving).

I would also like to purchase a used strop. Since I don’t really have the experience to have a preference, I am open to using a strap or a paddle strop.

I have already purchased a slightly used Vulfix Badger brush (#403) from John G. here on the forum. This will be a good starting brush. John was kind enough to offer me a cake of Col Bay Rum or a tube of Arko to start with as well. I have several ceramic oversized coffee mugs which will work fine for a bowl.

I do not plan on purchasing a hone until later, so it is imperative that I end up getting a ready-to-shave state on the razor.

My only preference is to have a round tip, but keep in mind that this is largely due to my ignorance of the straights in general and a perceived notion that a round tip might be easier to learn with.

To give you an idea of my statue and if a particular straight might be suitable for me, I am 5’ 5” with a rather angular face. I consider myself to have a light to medium beard growth.

I have been using a Mach3 for a long time. I typically shave in the shower without a mirror as a result of a long history of ingrown hairs and razor burns. I forced myself to learn without a mirror since I figured if blind persons can learn to do it, then so can I.

I would like to spend about 40 dollars or so for these items. I do have a PayPal account, but I would prefer to send a USPS money order for payment.

I sincerely thank you for your valuable time and for posting your experiences on the internet. I have learned a lot and have deeply enjoyed learning about this modern-day lost art.

Sincerely,

Joedy Drulia
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
joedydrulia@ h o t m a i l.c o m
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

You might be pushing it trying to get a shave-ready straight and a strop for $40. Maybe you could borrow one from one of the guys at http://www.straightrazorplace.com, and if you find that the straight is really for you, you could drop a tad more knowing you're not just throwing out the money. In any case, I would post the request for a $40 razor/strop there, and see if you can get it. You might even get an unsolicited offer for a loaner.
Frankenface

Post by Frankenface »

If you'd like to try the straight experience without all the cost, I'd recommend a disposible blade straight. Here is a good choice for under $30.00. I own a similar razor that I use if I'm pressed for time and can't spare the stropping time. Always sharp and no honing is required.
-Fred
http://www.appletonbarbersupply.com/sto ... ode=SHAP01
ShavetheBadger

Post by ShavetheBadger »

You shouldn't have a problem finding something in that price range on straight razor place. There are several folks that can recondition old razors and offer them for sale. Tony posts here and on SRP and offers quality strops. I believe he has a few deals on right now. Post an add in the buy sell trade category here and on straightrazorplace.com

Good luck,

Matt
Has anyone here actually tried to shave a badger? It's more difficult than you would think.

Check out Thomas Anthony Company shaving brushes.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Check SRP for a good shave ready razor. Tony Miller offers great strops, very affordable, and FIRST CLASS QUALITY! However, Tony is on vacation for the next week. Check out his site at www.thewellshavedgentleman.com

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Heirphoto

Post by Heirphoto »

Randy, Still here through weks end but can't really ship after Thursday. I do have a few 2 1/2" seconds strops left for $14 plus shipping. Not on my website bt an e-mail will get one.

Tony Miller
heirphoto@comcast.net
The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.
www.thewellshavedgentleman.com
stuff495

Post by stuff495 »

http://www.thewellshavedgentleman.com/

http://straightrazorplace.com/

The best disposable-blade straight razor I know of under $100 is this. I like it more then the DOVO Shavette personally.

--Vincent