SOLD: New Merkur HD Open Comb razor

Got something to sell or trade? Feel free to post in this group!
JBahn

SOLD: New Merkur HD Open Comb razor

Post by JBahn »

Hi Gents,

I recently picked up a brand new Merkur HD Comb Razor from a fellow SMF member. Razor was still in the box.

I used the razor once and it just doesnt work for my face. I currently use a Futur and it just didnt work as well for me.

The razor is brand new, however I have used it just once and threw away the box. Razor is absolutely pristine.

Asking 25 which is what I paid for it. Would also love to see what might be available for trade.
Last edited by JBahn on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
--James--
khari

Post by khari »

James,
You can do what you want, but are you sure you're not jumping the gun passing judgment on the HD after only one use?
JBahn

Post by JBahn »

Khari,

I probably am passing judgement too early. I have had tought times with ingrown hairs and whatnot on my neck and with the futur I was able to greatly reduce the redness on my neck. I just had a feeling that I wouldnt be able to do it with the HD.

The futur works just fine however I was curious to see if there might be a razor out there that did the job a little easier. For me the HD wasnt that razor...next i will try a straight.
--James--
golfhacker

Post by golfhacker »

JBahn wrote:Khari,

I probably am passing judgement too early. I have had tought times with ingrown hairs and whatnot on my neck and with the futur I was able to greatly reduce the redness on my neck. I just had a feeling that I wouldnt be able to do it with the HD.

The futur works just fine however I was curious to see if there might be a razor out there that did the job a little easier. For me the HD wasnt that razor...next i will try a straight.
Interestingly enough, I had the exact same experience. I have had problems with ingrowns using cartridge razors. I had no problems using a Futur, but found it a challenge to be consistent. I then tried a Merkur HD and had some ingrown problems again.

I now use Milords, Aristocrats, NEW's and the like, and don't have ingrown problems.
JBahn

Post by JBahn »

Golfhacker,

You ever given any thought to trying a Vision? If a straight doesnt work out, that will be my next stop.
--James--
golfhacker

Post by golfhacker »

JBahn wrote:Golfhacker,

You ever given any thought to trying a Vision? If a straight doesnt work out, that will be my next stop.
No, I never tried a Vision. I found the Futur to be a bit too large for me, so I figured the Vision would be more of the same.

I tend to prefer a smaller razor that is easily maneuverable.

I never tried a straight either.

Sorry, no help there.

I'd have to say at this point that the actual razor itself is now pretty low on the list of required steps to getting a good close shave with no ingrowns.

#1 is a soft beard, which for me requires shaving after showering and a 15-20 second hot rinse leaning over the tub before each pass.

#2 is the right cream to water ratio (more water added in 1/4 tsp to Trumper's Coconut in a tub than I was originally doing).

#3 is a good sharp blade (Swedish gillettes)

#4 is the razor itself.

Scott
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

JBahn wrote:Golfhacker,

What about Gillette adjustables? Try something from a different manufacturer.
JBahn

Post by JBahn »

My first razors where a Gillette SS and then I went to an adjustable. I get a much better shave out of the Futur than any Gillette I have ever tried. To each face its own, i guess :D
--James--
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

PM Sent!
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

JBahn wrote:My first razors where a Gillette SS and then I went to an adjustable. I get a much better shave out of the Futur than any Gillette I have ever tried. To each face its own, i guess :D
Just curious to see if you had tried different makers as they can all be different.
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

the problem with your HD experience is that it was the open comb model :(
JBahn

Post by JBahn »

With The Grain,

From what I have read, I think I would find the bar much better. That seems to be the general concensus of the board.
--James--
JBahn

Post by JBahn »

Sold
--James--