best aftershave balm/toner

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

best aftershave balm/toner

Post by Sam »

ok men, i used to think trumpers skin food was nothing special, but know i think that the glycerin is good for my skin. so if you dont use it, how would u compare it to what you use, and would it be like #2 if you had to replace what you use now? i use em's place aftershave balm which is good, and gave my baxter balm to my brother. i just hate to order smaller sizes of stuff and pay that shipping but would rather get something that lasts a year

can skin food be used as a moisturizer? i used to use baxter balm and then use ems balm as a daytime and nighttime moisturizer. now i want to use a toner, then the balm, and no moisturizer, unless u think i need that also. would ideally like one product to work as a balm and nighttime product

also, what toner do you use. I am thinking of the dickinsons witch hazel that charles carries but it has alcohol. any comments? what about thayers?

sam
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

I like Taylor's aftershave balm the best. The scent is great, and it contains aloe and witchhazel. No alcohol. Great stuff and very soothing.
hedonist

Post by hedonist »

Personally I use Sharps toner and MenScience moisturizer which is IMHO one of the lightest moisturzers made. It keeps my skin combination skin looking like a million bucks, even in the humid Miami weather.

If you have drier skin you can try Fisher's method of using a hydrosol and mixing in some Rose Hip oil as an aftershave.
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Sam,

I use two toners. I use Key West aloe in the pink at night to draw the oils that have accumulated in the day. The Key West Aloe is more of an astringent/toner. I have oily skin. And if I don't i get ingrown hairs and pimples etc. And I use baxter's aftershave balm to tone after shaving.
Last edited by clownjuggles on Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

You know what's funny, I didn't even realize this forum was for aftershaves too. Thought it was colognes only. Ha.

Anyways, I've been using the Baxter's Herbal Mint toner with the Baxter's Aftershave Balm with pretty good results for a few days now. I don't really know what it is but the combinations seems to be working better then the DaVinci Water + Baxter balm.

I really didn't care for the Skin Food. It felt like I was putting a thin layer of candle wax on my face. I can't really think of a better way to describe it. Just a thin film that didn't really do anything but sit on my face.
hedonist

Post by hedonist »

clarkkent333 wrote:You know what's funny, I didn't even realize this forum was for aftershaves too. Thought it was colognes only. Ha.

Anyways, I've been using the Baxter's Herbal Mint toner with the Baxter's Aftershave Balm with pretty good results for a few days now. I don't really know what it is but the combinations seems to be working better then the DaVinci Water + Baxter balm.

I really didn't care for the Skin Food. It felt like I was putting a thin layer of candle wax on my face. I can't really think of a better way to describe it. Just a thin film that didn't really do anything but sit on my face.
Clark : Do you follow the aftershave with a moisturizer or do you just tone and apply aftershave?

As for the skin food I agree with you, it felt nice and cooling in the beginning but it felt heavy on my face and made me oily later in the day.
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

clarkkent333 wrote: Anyways, I've been using the Baxter's Herbal Mint toner with the Baxter's Aftershave Balm with pretty good results for a few days now. I don't really know what it is but the combinations seems to be working better then the DaVinci Water + Baxter balm.
The Baxters Herbal Mint Toner is cleansing your skin more thoroughly and resetting(?) your pH level. Therefore, the after shave performs better.
I'm sure someone else can word this better than I just did, but I hope I got the gist of it for you.
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

Hedonist - I've been coming back when the balm dries and applying a very tiny bit of Maleface moisturizer. I realize now that its way to greasy for normal use but its just right for that "butter shave" feeling.

Hugo - that's about right I suppose.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

wow, to think this was resurrected. here is what i do. i use thayers witch hazel with rose as my toner. after i shave, i can tell it gets the rest of any cream residue off. i then use some natureade aloe 80 gel while the toner is still drying. the natureade helps with any irritation if i get some and any nicks. then about 45 minutes later, i apply coral skin food. '

now, i have used baxter and anthony logistics and clinique and kiehls and samples of zirh, and other stuff, but the coral skin food is the stuff that does not make me oily by noon. it has simple ingredients and i have not noticed that my face is any drier because i dont use a moisturizer at night. if i need to, i use ems place aftershave balm.

now, for luxury, i use davinci water in the summer (will get 8 oz when i place an order with QED). and i love ems place witch hazel and her balm.

sam