Kent hair brushes - world's finest

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
lovetoshave

Post by lovetoshave »

Does anyone have any experience with this brush:

http://www.caswellmassey.com/shopping/p ... ductID=896

Also, following another member's suggestion, I picked up two boar military brushes from Sally's Beauty Supply. One had "extra soft bristles" which I feel is too soft to properly massage the scalp, and the other feels like nails.

I am considering purchased a Kent brush(either the MG3 or MG2) but I'm not sure whether to get the one with the dark bristles or the white bristles. From what I gather, the white bristles are softer and the dark ones feel like nails, but I kind of want something in between. Thats why I was considering the Calwell Massey brush, hopefully someone has used that one...
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

lovetoshave wrote:Does anyone have any experience with this brush:

http://www.caswellmassey.com/shopping/p ... ductID=896

Also, following another member's suggestion, I picked up two boar military brushes from Sally's Beauty Supply. One had "extra soft bristles" which I feel is too soft to properly massage the scalp, and the other feels like nails.

I am considering purchased a Kent brush(either the MG3 or MG2) but I'm not sure whether to get the one with the dark bristles or the white bristles. From what I gather, the white bristles are softer and the dark ones feel like nails, but I kind of want something in between. Thats why I was considering the Calwell Massey brush, hopefully someone has used that one...
You are right, the bristles on the Sally's military brush are very stiff and again, they are nowhere near the quality of better brushes, but for $2, if I find I don't like it, I can toss it and not feel to bad about it. I went to the link you gave for the Casewell Massey brush and that looks like a nice brush and the price is doable also. I would be interested in hearing what others say about it too.

Chaps
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

The military oval MHS 18 is now available as MHS 18S with less stiff/softer bristles; of course i had to purchase this one and i must say it's an improvement to me, although i have rather thick hair. My MHS 18 is so horrible stiff it's almost a torture to use it.....

Peter
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have such babyfine hair that a brush really is impratical.

Sam
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Where can a leathercase be bought for the brush?
Regards,
Jani
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Aztecface wrote:Where can a leathercase be bought for the brush?
There are plenty on Ebay, that's to say: for TWO of these brushes (that's the way they were originally used: in a pair)
Peter
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Thanks. I'm gonna check it out.
Regards,
Jani
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Thinking of a new brush. I have babyfine hair and thinning on top. Does Kent still give us a 20% discount? Do they have the ebay store? Dr. P, since you had the oval brush, what would you recommend to me?
Pgg365247

Post by Pgg365247 »

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement Kent MC 24 quill? I have searched far and wide and I am afraid my Internet skills have failed me. I purchased one locally a number of years back at a place called The Grooming Lounge and unfortunately they no longer carry that style. Thanks
- Brent

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."- Thucydides
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

ThStoddart wrote:Ren -- that's bad news. It's just insane how painful this brush is - it feels like I'm scrubbing my scalp with a metal wire brush! Unfortunately, no shop will take a brush back after you've used it...

I'm wondering if soaking the bristles in hair conditioner would soften them; after all, they are hair, albeit animal hair.
The most comfortable brush I've used is the Mason Pearson Sensitive. It is a little expensive and doesn't have the style of the Kent brushes but it is the only brush I can really use.

http://www.amazon.com/Mason-Pearson-Sen ... B001N444JU