Kent hair brushes - world's finest

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
The_Brazilianaire

Kent hair brushes - world's finest

Post by The_Brazilianaire »

I never treated myself this well. It's almost girlish. LOL :lol:

I'm thinking about getting one of those.

http://www.kentbrushes.com/acatalog/Military_Oval.html

These natural bristles hair brushes are supposed to distribute scalp oils and make your hair look nicer.

Anyone familiar with the brand or with the supposed ability of natural bristles hair brushes on your hair? Or is this all bullsh :!: t?

For sure I'm not spending $200 on a hair brush and I'm very, very hesitant in spending $50 in one of the models there.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Alex 8)
The_Brazilianaire

Thanks Chris,

Could you tell me what kind of brush do you have?

This is what they have:

Military Oval
Rectangular,Club Handled
Traditional Rectangular Shape
Oval Rubber Cushion
Oval Club Handled

But I don't know if they make any difference. You said that the military one is supposed to be used 2 in both hands. So the military is discarded for me. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about going for something like that:

http://www.kentbrushes.com/acatalog/OG2BIG.jpg

I think I'll treat myself to a little luxury. Later it will be time to get the little plastic squared thing on my wallet.

:roll:
Last edited by The_Brazilianaire on Wed May 25, 2005 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

well, heck, if you are gonna use the plastic thing, get me one. its not like you are using real money, lol

sam
The_Brazilianaire

Thanks for the replies gents. I'm learning a lot about how to take care of myself in this age when men just seem to don't care.

Yesterday I draw the plastic thing in my wallet and got this brush

http://www.kentbrushes.com/acatalog/mn1bbig.jpg

And that will be another nice item in my cabinet along with my shaving equipment.

Alex
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Post by blackgrass »

Explain something to me guys.....

Why do I need one of these brushes? I have a Vidal Sassoon real boar hairbrush that I got for around $10. I can understand with a shaving brush the need for them to absorb and hold water but what about a hairbrush? What justifies the high price and what makes the white hair better than the dark haired brushes?

Also looking at the combs. Why are they so expensive for a plastic comb? I must admit I really like the fact you can get the pocket combs with the teeth either fine, course or a combo as I have never seen that offered before. I am just trying to figure out what makes a boar hairbrush from Kent at $200 better than the one for $10 and a $10 plastic comb better than a $.99 comb?
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Blackgrass,

Maybe it's like "SilverTip" over "Best"; or $25 tub of shave cream instead of $.99 Williams cake soap (with a splash of Old Spice cologne thrown into it)

Maybe they are better brushes too?

- Gramps (thinkin' out loud)
~~ Larry ~~
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

Great topic gents. I've never put much thought into brushing my hair...usually just a few swipes before leaving the house. Can someone tell me or direct me to some information on what types of bristles work best for normal to thick hair. Also how many strokes one should use say 10, 30, or more.
Big thanks in advance.
Harrison
english_barber
Robert from the Gentleman's Shop

Post by english_barber »

Hello,

GB Kent combs are all cut from one piece of material and therefore much better for your hair than a moulded bit of plastic. If you look at a cheap comb it will have a ridge through the middle where the moulds meet! As a Barber we will only use and retail Kent combs, for this very reason.

If I had enough hair to comb though, I would use a GB Kent hair brush. Traditionally you used two, one for each side and kept them in a leather travel case. Brushes are much better for your hair and stimulate your scalp.

Regards, Robert
Charlotte & Robert Johnston
www.gentlemans-shop.com
The_Brazilianaire

Harrison wrote:Can someone tell me or direct me to some information on what types of bristles work best for normal to thick hair. Also how many strokes one should use say 10, 30, or more.
Kent's website has a feature to help you choose the comb/brush for your type of hair.

I never really cared about my hair until I had an “Ah ha” moment with DE shaving. I though that if my shaving problems can be solved, them my hair problems could be solved too.

I have normal to think hair, but as I never cared about it, it’s always been dry and damaged. I did some research about hair care and found the appropriate shampoo and conditioner for my type of hair (and it's already a major improvement) and I ran into the natural bristle brush bit.

And it suggests that brushing with one of those (thoroughly brush your hair - doesn't say anything about how many strokes. It also can be every day to once a week, it’s not specific) distribute scalp oils (from the scalp to the ends - where it usually gets dry), stimulates the scalp and loosens sloughed off cells. And it also suggests that you'll see results in a couple of weeks with this method, if compared with regular hard nylon brushes.

:wink:
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i have short, thin hair. a brush aint gonna help me all that much anyway

sam
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Post by blackgrass »

Does anybody know the difference between the white and black bristles?
Ben
The_Brazilianaire

Got my brush today. Very nice product. The bristles are quite stiff, which is nice. I thought it would be more delicate.

Question:

With regards to not damaging the bristles, should I brush with dry or wet hair? Does it matter?

Thanks,

Alex
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I use the Military Oval Quill http://www.shopattitudes.com/MC24.htm and love it. Plus it takes up less room in my travel bag than a regular brush with a handle.

Cheers,
Craig
Cheers,

Craig
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

I love going through these old threads, and occasionally resurrecting them; I learn a lot.

I've used a single military oval brush for years and will use nothing else. My 15 year old son loves to use the brush as well-- his hair is very thick, rather like straw, and the brush tames it like none other, beating it into submission and keeping it in place almost like its been treated with some sort of hair gel. Although he will not yet admit, I think he likes the masculine quality of the brush as well. My wife does too, as she insists on using it (very gently) on our 10 month-old son. As one of my daughters pointed out "that's a boy brush".

I find that the brush will tame fluffy, fly-away hair very well, and even works on bed-head.

I unreservedly recommend them to you all.

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Ok guys I'm guilty of using the cheap plastic combs and brushes. I have thick unruly hair and the only way I can tame it is with gel and hairspray. Would a *real* brush help me?
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Erik, a military brush is quite stiff. Yes, it would help gents with thick hair. I have the Ken brush and also the Caswell-Massey brush. The C-M brush is about a 1/3 the price of the Kent brush and works very well.
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Thanks Austin. I'll certainly look into them both.
Erik

Aurora Greenway
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

What brush for fine, thin and thinning hair? I keep it short on the top

Sam
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Big Ren wrote:
texasPI wrote:Ok guys I'm guilty of using the cheap plastic combs and brushes. I have thick unruly hair and the only way I can tame it is with gel and hairspray. Would a *real* brush help me?
Erik,

I was reluctant to spend close to $20 for a Kent comb. But once I did, I never looked back. That was over 15 years ago. I have since amassed a small collection of Kent combs because of their exceptional quality. And I don't even use combs all that often. If you don't lose it, a Kent comb will last you a lifetime.

As for the military brushes, you might want to email Kent to find out what is suitable for your hair type. Like the combs, the brushes are first-rate and are not something you will need to replace any time soon.

Ren
Ren, you know it's kind of funny but given what shaving brushes cost, hair brushes of this type seem like a bargain. No sticker shock there for me. :) Maybe I have been desensitized

While perusing the Kent site I noticed the brushes for children. I have a two year old son with a mane of fine hair. Anyone have experience with these? It'd be kind of neat for my little guy to have his own Kent brush, maybe even a comb too :lol:
Erik

Aurora Greenway