Kent hair brushes - world's finest

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Andrew: I tried but it did not let me specify anything other than a man's brush. And the FAQ section, question #4, had nothing

Sam
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ren, Infantile works and at times, is as apt a description as anything else I have been called.

Sam
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Sam wrote:Andrew: I tried but it did not let me specify anything other than a man's brush. And the FAQ section, question #4, had nothing

Sam
Sam, they must have changed it. I have used it before and was able to specify different info. Go figure.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, the mens hair brush they recommend is a styling brush with i guess synthetic or nylon bristles. i have one of those and it is ok. i use it to blow dry my hair. i was wondering what the natural bristles would do, even if i use gel.

it may be that brushing my hair with a bristle brush before i go to bed would help the scalp and any psoriasis there. any docs weigh in on that?

if robert or kentbrushes come in, what kent brush(es) are good for fine hair. i saw that kentbrush has some on sale in their ebay site for like 8 britishlbs and $5 shipping. the brush is beechwood with black bristles and is half of what it normally sells for. I read that the white bristle one is for fine and thin hair but what is the difference?

sam
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Afternoon, I've always had a Kent brush, however, now that the Rooneys are once again available, I must remind folks that they are also said to be superb. And the couple of old Coate's hair brushes I've seen have been gorgous.
Regards,
Gordon
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

In the "hair care" business the finest brushes are said to be from Mason Pearson (also made in the UK). I use one daily and have for years.

Chris
ThStoddart

Just got my Kent Brush...OUCH!

Post by ThStoddart »

I have a fantastic Kent shaving brush, so I decided to get a Kent hairbrush as well.

I have a full head of very thick hair. Thus, I decided to go with the black boar bristle, purchasing the MN11 Military Oval in ebony. It's a beautiful, well manufactured piece.

However, my first brushing experience was not pleasant at all. No matter how gently or lightly I tried to brush, I felt the bristles really scraping and hurting my scalp.

Does the scalp adjust/adapt or am I doing something wrong or should I have bought one of the white bristle brushes? I'm wondering specifically if the scalp will adapt to the stimulation in the same way that your gums adapt to flossing and brushing...

Thanks,
Stodd
ThStoddart

Post by ThStoddart »

Ren -- that's bad news. It's just insane how painful this brush is - it feels like I'm scrubbing my scalp with a metal wire brush! Unfortunately, no shop will take a brush back after you've used it...

I'm wondering if soaking the bristles in hair conditioner would soften them; after all, they are hair, albeit animal hair.
Kalypso
Poster of Easy Virtue

I hate this.....

Post by Kalypso »

I hate to pee on anybodys scooter, but Kent has provided me the worst cutomer service of any Wetshaving vendor I've come across. They don't even respond to emails.

Other than Kent, I've had nothing but excellent experiences with any Wetshaving Vendor or Retailer up to this point. Very dissappointing, to say the least. If they are above correcting an issue, they should at least have the courteousness to respond & say so....
"I want my money back for this suit. You're nancy-boy cream leaked all over the pockets -- Suits ruined.".....Kenny Banya

Some call me Doug.....

http://www.modelplace.com/?op=member&id=3448
ThStoddart

You're not going to believe this, but...

Post by ThStoddart »

...soaking the Kent MN-11 Brush in hair conditioner worked!!!

I just got back from a ten day vacation. Before I left, I put my Kent Brush (a.k.a., "the Torture Device") bristle-side down in a sealed tupperware container with hair conditioner.

While on vacation, assuming that the MN-11 was a lost cause, I went ahead a bought a Kent MS-11 and LOVED it. Felt great on my scalp, really conditioned my hair well. I decided to give the other brush to my parents to use on their dog!

Well, when I arrived at my house today from the airport, I saw the brush soaking there in the bathroom where I left it 10 days ago. I rinsed it out and let it air-dry all afternoon. Then tonight, I gingerly used it, and lo-and-behold, IT FELT GREAT! Not painful, no irritation to the scalp. It seems that ten days soaking in hair conditioner did the trick.

FYI, the conditioner I used was Aussie brand "Moist" conditioner.

Stodd
soaper

Post by soaper »

Anyone have curly hair? How do these brushes used for such hair?

Soaper
redstubble

Post by redstubble »

I own the satinwood MS11. I have very thin, fine hair. I love the brush! Very nice to the hair and scalp.

Mike.
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

i just picked up an MC4 Kent brush from Vasco for 48$. I see it's a travel size brush in the description (as per the url offered in the 1st page).

It's gentle and I am quite satisfied with it (even if it also reads on the box: Boy's Brush Real Bristle).

I also picked up a Kent comb for about 15 dollars. Those are quite nice too!
Andy
Chaps

Military Brush for $2.49

Post by Chaps »

Men---my wife wanted me to buy a military brush because she saw an actor using one in an old movie and thought it looked very manly. I looked at the Kent brushes and a few others, but I just couldn't afford to spend that kind of money on a hairbrush at this time, having to satisfy the RAD, SBAD, and SCAD I currently suffer with. I am sure the Kent brushes and the other high end brushes are worth every penny, but like I said, I couldn't afford one of those.
I went into a Sally's Beauty Supply and lo and behold they have Military Brushes with Boar Bristles for only $2.49. Now, I am not naive enough to believe these $2 brushes are of the same quality as the more expensive ones, but I was just glad to be able to get one. I love it! It doesn't matter how my hair looks, I just brush my hair with this military brush and it looks great. Just thought I'd pass this along.

Chaps
Stubble

Post by Stubble »

I have always used a military style, natural bristle brush for my hair, and it is wonderful. The top of your head feels just as good as a BBS shave, so why not spread the joy around all of your head. Not just your face!
I was also thinking of getting a Kent brush, just to have one. But, my hair is thick, and slightly wavy. So I need a stiffer bristle brush, just so it can get through the hair. I always thought the color of the bristle, indicated the stiffness. Maybe thats not so............
Stubble
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

On the Kentbrushes ebay store they are selling the boy's military white bristle brushes for a reasonable price. They are just a bit smaller than the men's one.

Might be worth a look. Order some Kent shave soap too...!
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, Kent shave soap? Do you suppose that it's any good? Have you ever tried it? ( LOL ).
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

The Kent Brushes store has some Men's oval military-style brushes here that are blemished at a good price:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MENS-MILITARY-OVAL-W ... dZViewItem

I'm thinking of buying one for my beard.
Last edited by rustyblade on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

So, does that mean that this is a hairbrush?
It belonged to my grandfather, and I was told by the aunt who gave it to me after he died that it was a clothes brush.
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."