Deodorant Part XXVIXX

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Mint

Post by Mint »

I work outside in the summer doing construction and manual labour. I use Crystalux, and personally would recommend it... Hopefully my co-workers would as well :lol:

But that's just my 2 cents...

I've also heard of using vinegar... Haven't tried it myself though...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I use Arrid Regular, first wife got me onto it 30 some years back because she didn't like the scent of Mennen. Donno know what's in it or what it does but it works for me.

Funny thing, a year or so back E and I were in a Walgreen's where I got my Arrid and she loaded me up with her personal stuff, body washes, women stuff, that sort of thing. Lady didn't see us walk in and when I placing the order on the counter she looked at me a bit as my craggy face and demeanor didn't seem to be such a patron. "Sir, is this all you need"?, E (more than 30 years my junior) ran back behind up and said I've three of of the pregnancy tests and this is all we'll need. Tossing the stuff on the counter and lady just just started laughing.

E was wearing one of her prettiest dresses and one of the assistant managers had been following her around to assist her
and sort of sulked away when he heard the comments. Lady just threw her head back and laughed. She said, "You guys", E an I in unison said "you would be surprised how often we've heard that".
Last edited by Squire on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

nice story, Squire. thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
CJS

Post by CJS »

Thought I'd add a deodorant to the list (forgive me if this deo. was already mentioned in a previous thread): Aubrey Organics Men's Stock

It is a lightly pine-scented alcohol based deodorant. The thing I like about this deodorant is that the combination of witch hazel and alcohol acts like an antiperspirant. No aluminum, so your clothes won't stain. It dries almost instantly after spraying it on, and for me, it does a better job at controlling mid-day perspiration than anything labeled "antiperspirant".

I bought mine at Whole Foods

funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Anybody tried the new Old Spice "locations"? (Fiji, Cypress, etc.)

Is it possible to get a good synergy between your Stick and your Splash?
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I had a revelation recently. For about 10 years I have been using Almay unscented antiperspirant, which worked on my sensitive skin, but left my undershirts stained. I got tired of the staining, and the idea of antiperspirants in general, but I sweat a lot, and have a longish walk as part of my commute. Enter Nancy Boy, and their new all natural deodorant. I purchased the "Active" in their Signature scent (rosemary, peppermint and lavender, same as their signature shave cream and soap), whose ingredients are: Natural grain alcohol, essential oil, witch hazel hydrosol, hops.
This stuff really works! The scent is a little strong, but when I get home at 7 PM I have zero, I mean no body odor, and my undershirts are clean. I cannot recommend this stuff highly enough. Pricey at $14 ($12 if you are a NB club member), nonetheless it's a premium product that delivers.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

DavidB wrote:I've been using the crystal stick for a month now and it works really well. Lasts all day. Does it just kill odor, or does it actually close the pores to limit perspiration.

Couple of questions: I occasionally get a little irritation/redness from it. Has anybody else experienced this?

Also, what's the best source for the Natural Fresh stick? Are they available in stores?

Dave
I really like the Crystal Deodorant sticks but ran into the same problem, irritation/rash after a few months. I looked into this problem and found that the crystal deodorants in the grocery store are ammonium alum which is synthetic and cheaper. I switched to potassium alum deodorant stones which are naturally occuring and never developed the irritation again.

So the potassium alum deodorant stone is one of my two main deodorants.

The other comes from a sort of revelation I've had concerning ethyl alcohol. My entire outlook towards colognes, aftershaves and deodorants has changed since.

Basically ethyl alcohol is an incredibly effective deodorant. It kills bacteria on contact and very little gets into your body. It evaporates almost immedietely. Add a little essential oil and you have something very nice that is not drying and has a nice light scent that does not interfere with our favorite aftershave or cologne. I started preparing to make my own but then found one product that is almost exactly what I would have made.

Weleda Citrus

Its just ethyl alcohol and lemon peel oil. Simple and pure. It works all day for me and there is no downside to reapplying in the evening. Its simply my favorite. Its sold in europe (made in switzerland) but hasn't caught on in the USA yet.

The revelation part for me is that it began to dawn on me that ethyl alcolol and essential oil is really similar to aftershave. I suspect that back in the old days men didn't just splash bay rum on their face, I'm almost certain that it was directly applied to the pits as it is so effective at preventing any odor.

Alcohol is coming back. Some very high end hair products like Wen are alcohol based. Alcohol derived from coconuts or palm is very good for skin and hair, cetyl alcohol as it has an affinity for fatty acids. I started going back to alcohol based aftershaves with good result. I still love balms but have just added the aftershave back into the regime.

So my two deodorants are potassium alum deodorant stone and Weleda Citrus.

I did try the Aubry Mens Stock which is a perfect alcohol based deodorant on paper but found the scent overpowering and not compatible with my EDTs or aftershaves. Its just a little too strong. The Weleda has a light citrus scent for a few minutes until it drys down. It does smell slightly like gin for the first moment or two. :D

Oh good grief, I've just realized that I've replied to an ancient post. Sorry.
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

Thanks for this- looks very interesting indeed.
Araner

Post by Araner »

I have to wonder, how many people with underarm problems wear an undershirt?

I use Tabac deodorant stick because it smells like Old Spice Classic only better. However, I also always wear a clean white cotton undershirt beneath my regular shirt and I believe that it helps considerably with resolving perspiration problems (staining, odor, irritation, etc...). Just a thought.

Araner
function

Post by function »

I wear an undershirt for just that reason. I use unscented antiperspirants and still get a bit of sweat, but very little odor at the end of the day.
The purpose of the undershirt is to absorb sweat and ruin cheap cotton with yellow stains instead of ruin my button down shirts with stains.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Here we go, archaeologic evidence of alternative use of aftershave:

:D
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

I've found another deodorant I like.

Last week I took an empty Weleda spray bottle and filled with it with Superior 70 bay rum which at 65% alcohol by volume is right about the same alcohol content as Weleda.

I use about 5 sprays per pit and I rub it in with my hand. This is working perfectly all day, no irritation, very mild scent, no sting on application. Most evenings I repeat just because I like it.

Perfect and cheap at $1.99 for 11.8 fluid ounces. They had 4 in stock at the local Walgreens. :)
brothers

Post by brothers »

For years I used Gillette anti-perspirant/deodorant, and since P&G now owns Gillette, they've come up with the same stuff in a different colored container (red) they call Old Spice Swagger. It works for me, and that's what matters. I like the fragrance of it. :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mme29710

Post by mme29710 »

I use Tabac Deodorant Stick, Irisch Moos Stick, and Speick Spray. All work great for me. I am wanting to pick up the Irisch Moos Spray from WCS
rbaloha

Post by rbaloha »

Live in a humid tropical environment. Alvera works exceedingly well.
malocchio

count me in

Post by malocchio »

kirkawall wrote:Hi,

One option might be to try one of the Unscented sticks made for women -- the Dove and (in Europe) Nivea brands tend to work very well and are often more gentle, containing various buffers and moisturizers left out of the men's versions. Some drugstores sell versions without propylene glycol. Finally, Speik makes a good deo stick, as do Jason, Earth Science and in Canada Green Beaver.

good luck,

k
..........yes....no shame in wearing womens deodorants if you want to stay away from toxic aluminum and petro-scents...I grab some in my rotation.....if the original alcohol formulas in true deodorants burn you,make sure after you wash or shower let your pits THOROUGHLY dry out...let the pores close up,a hot shower really opens them up,which we need to really get them clean..but in the open state they are more prone to irritation...if you do get irritation,wash well,then coat with hydrocortisone cream before going to sleep...wash off in the morning...this really helps.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have found that lately, the Mennen Speed Sticks and now Right Guard stuff is acting sticky-like. Have taken to using my talc and rubbing some in under the pits to dry that up and keep my arm from getting tacky against the upper side of my chest. Seems to work, but I am not pleased I have to use two products.