Deodorant Part XXVIXX

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Deodorant Part XXVIXX

Post by rustyblade »

I'm going to bring the deodorant topic up as again I am on the hunt for a good unscented or very lightly scented and effective deo. Again.

I touted Adidas Ice Dive as a decent deodorant with a somewhat decent lime scent a while back, but it doesn't seem to cut the mustard on a long hot day and is giving me irritation now and then. Also, like most scented deodorants I begin to really hate the scent after a while.

I have had good luck with the performance of Speed Stick deodorant. This stuff will protect you against odour for 24hrs easy, even in the summer. Problem is the available scents are wretched. If is was available in unscented, my problems would be solved.

I don't really like anti-perspirants, they seem to be available in unscented though. Many brands, in fact.

The crystal alum-based deodorants work if you sit in an office all day and push paper, but not if you actually move around and sweat a little. They are adequate for a light weekend, but thats all.

I tried Jason unscented deodorant, again very short-lived.

Nearly all the major brands of deodorant have overpowering artificial chemical scents (that overpower one's EDT) with stupid names like Mountain Sport! and Ocean Surf! that are headache inducing and best and vomit inducing at their worst.

On the opposite end I have tried C&E Sandalwood and Taylor Sandalwood, the C&E wearing away shockingly fast at $16 a stick, and Taylor being too overscented, and also expensive.

I am really lost, and maybe you guys have some new ideas? Is aluminum in antiperspirants that bad? Maybe I should just pick up a stick of Arm&Hammer unscented antiperspirant and be done with it.
Richard
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Richard, I feel for you... I'm in the same boat during the summer as I work outside at a rather frantic pace and find myself in need of a deodorant that can grind through the day with me. My all time favorite was a stick of Blue Stratos..... no longer available in North America, it's still to be had in the UK and EU. I did find a lightly scented Arm & Hammer some years ago but then they went and @#(*&$)ED improved it so that went out the door.

For now, I've settled with Mennen... I don't care for the scent that much, it's a bit strong but it's better than anything else on the shelf. I do have a stick of Taylors Sandalwood which I do use on the weekend (light application!) and when I'm really going to town I'll pull out my Pino Sylvestre. Still.... I do miss Blue Stratos but probably because the scent worked with my body chemistry rather than fight it.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
crawlingchaos

Post by crawlingchaos »

Have you tried Mitchum? It comes unscented, and is really strong.
What neither political party has ever learned is the most basic of all lessons: When you make someone else's character the issue, your own character becomes the issue too.
-David Gerrold
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

crawlingchaos wrote:Have you tried Mitchum? It comes unscented, and is really strong.
It is an antiperspirant, correct?

I'm trying to avoid them, but it doesn't look like I can find a strong unscented deodorant, I checked Auravita and feelbest.com and they don't have any.
Richard
crawlingchaos

Post by crawlingchaos »

Oh yeah, it's antiperspirant. Nevermind.
What neither political party has ever learned is the most basic of all lessons: When you make someone else's character the issue, your own character becomes the issue too.
-David Gerrold
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

GentsLLC Shaving/Skincare wrote:Has anyone tried the mineral salt spray mists?? Similar to the mineral crystal but in a spray form
Tried it. Same as the roll ons and the hard stick. Spray is probably the worst because if you spray too much it will drip. Again, not effective enough.
Richard
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

For whatever the low price is i'd give old spice high endurance a go, the 'fresh' scent is not strong at all, very good lasting protection. If you sweat through that and i doubt you will, the make a 'red zone' version as well, that's basically half a step away from perscription deodorant.
shaveC

Post by shaveC »

I like the Redzone. The High Endurance used to burn like hell and give me rashes every so often. The Redzone does the trick for me, they are scented, however I don't find them overbearing.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

With The Grain wrote:For whatever the low price is i'd give old spice high endurance a go, the 'fresh' scent is not strong at all, very good lasting protection. If you sweat through that and i doubt you will, the make a 'red zone' version as well, that's basically half a step away from perscription deodorant.
Yeah, I tried that one. The Fresh scent. It is effective, but the scent is too strong. Also, like I remember from the past, if I use it everyday it will start to burn. Old Spice deodorant has always been bad for that. I remember their original scent round sticks, ouch. They still sell them.
Richard
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

As I shower every night instead of every morning I started using Mitchum after my shower in the evening because I didn't like the feel of the Deoderant or Antiperspirant. I also hated the stains on my shirts. I didn't think it would work as stated "You can even skip a day", but remarkably it works fine after being on my body all night. If you shower in the morning I'm not sure how it will effect you.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

Hi,

One option might be to try one of the Unscented sticks made for women -- the Dove and (in Europe) Nivea brands tend to work very well and are often more gentle, containing various buffers and moisturizers left out of the men's versions. Some drugstores sell versions without propylene glycol. Finally, Speik makes a good deo stick, as do Jason, Earth Science and in Canada Green Beaver.

good luck,

k
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

kirkawall wrote:Hi,

One option might be to try one of the Unscented sticks made for women -- the Dove and (in Europe) Nivea brands tend to work very well and are often more gentle, containing various buffers and moisturizers left out of the men's versions. Some drugstores sell versions without propylene glycol. Finally, Speik makes a good deo stick, as do Jason, Earth Science and in Canada Green Beaver.

good luck,

k
Thanks, I'll look into those.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, A 'deodorant' can not be 'unscented' by definition. Deodorants work by masking body scent with some other scent. 'Anti-perspirants' can be unscented because they work by attempting to block the perspiration itself. I can't use them anymore. Their chemical make-up, the mineral salts and all, irritatie my skin, and I got tired of the stains on my undershirts. I went back to my old high school stalward; Mennen Speed Stick, in the original scent. I've had no problems with irritation since, and my undershirts are just fine. Personally, I like the scent, but it's pretty understated in any case. The newer Mennen scents I don't care for. Pity that they discontinued their Lime version ( story of my life with toiletries, it seems....."sorry sir, that one's been DISCONTINUED"...why is it ALWAYS the one that I like that is discontinued or 're-formulated'?...like now Trumper's Wild Fern....why couldn't they choose say Curzon to put in those tacky spray bottles instead?...but, no... ).
Regards,
Gordon
Stauff

Post by Stauff »

I actually like C&E sticks a lot. Been using sandalwood for some time now and it lasts a long time for me. Love the scent, and no itching armpits for the first time with deodorant.
Regards,
Frederik

'Alles Behaartsein ist tierisch. Die Rasur ist Abzeichen höherer Zivilisation' (Arthur Schopenhauer)
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Stauff wrote:I actually like C&E sticks a lot. Been using sandalwood for some time now and it lasts a long time for me. Love the scent, and no itching armpits for the first time with deodorant.
My issue with C&E is the price -- $16cdn a stick and they are quite soft.

I have been having some luck with Jason Men's Deo from the local organic store (I made a mistake earlier it was Tom's of Maine that doesn't work well). The only problem is it doesn't glide very well and you have to leave your armpits a bit wet when you come out of the shower. It seems to work well though, it is unscented, but since it isn't summer anymore the true test will have to wait. For winter though, this may be it.
Richard
Bob

Post by Bob »

I just picked up a stick of Caswell-Massey's sandalwood deodorant yesterday. It has a strong sandalwood scent, so it's only appropriate for complimentary colognes, etc. I like the scent quite a bit. The downside is the price. It ain't cheap.
--Bob--
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Bob wrote:I just picked up a stick of Caswell-Massey's sandalwood deodorant yesterday. It has a strong sandalwood scent, so it's only appropriate for complimentary colognes, etc. I like the scent quite a bit. The downside is the price. It ain't cheap.
It sounds like TOBS Sandalwood Deo. Very very strong scent.
Richard
neuromancer88

Post by neuromancer88 »

Have you ever tried Military Style or hunting Deodorant Ill Try and Find a Link it is Unscented as well. So as not to give your position away.

you can try this
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=57244
Ryan
Press: What Have you Writ Mr. Franklin.
Ben Franklin Replied, A Republic if you can KEEP it.
DUQ

Post by DUQ »

I was a hardcore Mennen Speedtick user until last year. I was finding that it did not last anymore. On a normal 12 hour shift at work, it would crap out at around 6 hours in. They may have changed the formula?! I switched to the Old Spice line. I chose the lightest scent. It last from early morning until bed time, even during the summer. The only time it lost the battle was while working outdoors during high humidity days.

I noticed that Mitchum has a new product, Clear Gel Antiperspirant/Deoderant

http://www.mitchumman.com/content_flash.asp
Rob

Post by Rob »

The Mitchum antiperispirant is ok, but man is it sticky for the first few hours after application.