Deodorant Part XXVIXX

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

DEwey wrote:I've read through all the thoughts here and I think my skin is a bit different from most of the gents'. The issue I have is not odor nor scent of the product - but I do perspire heavily. My real problem is that I experience severe irritation after using deodorants, some antiperspiants and all of the "invisible solids" - especially at night after using it that morning. I wondered if anyone knows if I might be sensitive to the chemical scents and if essential oil deodorants are available. Has anyone used them?
If you don't have odor problems, and only need this for heavy perspiration, then deodorant of any kind is not going to help. Focus on finding an anti-perspirant that doesn't irritate you. Also, experiment with using less of it (or more? I don't know...) to see if that reduces the irritation.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Maybe you want to try something like this:

http://www.feelbest.com/Pages/ITEMDETAI ... 7453621921
Richard
CurtP

Post by CurtP »

rustyblade wrote:Maybe you want to try something like this:

http://www.feelbest.com/Pages/ITEMDETAI ... 7453621921
That stuff works very well, but I don't think it's meant to be used as a deodorant. It's used to get hyperhidrosis under control, but the anhydrous ethanol is brutal. AFAIK, it is only available as a prescription in the US, but there are some milder OTC versions of it from other manufacturers (which never worked for me).

I only have to apply Drysol once every couple of months now and I don't sweat at all anymore. Since the sweat glands are shut down, I don't even have to wear deodorant/antipersperant at all if I don't want to (as long as I take a shower in the morning).

I went to see my doctor about my excessive armpit sweating - it was embarrassing to go out in public!
Stauff

Post by Stauff »

Could someone please describe the scent of Mennen speed stick (classic)?
Here in Europe, Mennen products are marketed a little differently, but somehow I suspect the clasic US fragrance to be the same as our 'Mennen Green'.
Regards,
Frederik

'Alles Behaartsein ist tierisch. Die Rasur ist Abzeichen höherer Zivilisation' (Arthur Schopenhauer)
DEwey

Drysol

Post by DEwey »

Thanks guys. I actually tried to get Botox for hyperhydrosis but my insurance would not cover it and it would have been $$$$$. The Drysol sounds like a good alternative. Does anyone know if the product burns like hell or what? If it actually cuts down on the profuse sweating, that would be great. If it burns, does it continue to burn for an extended period of time? Thanks again.
DEwey
Straights, Gem 1912, & Grandpa's '66 Gillette Superspeed______________________________
Google Ron Paul
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what will be lunch, LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote,"Benjamin Franklin
CurtP

Re: Drysol

Post by CurtP »

DEwey wrote:Thanks guys. I actually tried to get Botox for hyperhydrosis but my insurance would not cover it and it would have been $$$$$. The Drysol sounds like a good alternative. Does anyone know if the product burns like hell or what? If it actually cuts down on the profuse sweating, that would be great. If it burns, does it continue to burn for an extended period of time? Thanks again.
Yes, it burns. You only apply it every so often. I started out with three back-to-back applications, then once a week, then once a month and now I do it when I can remember. You apply it before going to bed and you take a shower in the morning to wash off any residual Drysol.

You'll feel the tingling sensation long after you apply it - for at least a couple of hours (once you get a shower, the sensation stops). It used to drive me nuts, but I'm used to it now. The first application is the worst - you're supposed to apply it, then wrap the area with plastic (like Saran Wrap). I put on a too-small T-shirt and used some plastic in the armpit area. You should only have to do that once though.
wildcat4424

Post by wildcat4424 »

Degree Power is a good long lasting deoderant/antiperspirant. the scents are light.
jramire2

Post by jramire2 »

Shave your pits. That alone usually cuts down to the point where you can use a lighter scented deo and not have any problems.

I have an old, not pretty injector that I use just for shaving my pits, about once a month.

You might want to try this as well.

It's been recommended here.
~Joshua
JayKay

Post by JayKay »

I love the old spice red zone. Great protection. I think the scents are pretty decent and you dont smell them unless your sniffing your own armpit. But the scents do smell pretty good, so you may just find your self sniffing your own armpit.
-Jay
aaronrules

Post by aaronrules »

I tried Arm&Hammer unscented once on a whim, and never gone back. Trim the pits down a little and wear non-cotton under/over shirts and I am now unstinky!
Aaron
Ft. Smith, AR
I love this forum!
jramire2

Post by jramire2 »

jramire2 wrote:Shave your pits. That alone usually cuts down to the point where you can use a lighter scented deo and not have any problems.

I have an old, not pretty injector that I use just for shaving my pits, about once a month.

You might want to try this as well.

It's been recommended here.
To quote myself, I've been meaning to try this stuff for some time now, but have been putting it off b/c I was going to have to order it online. Found some of this stuff at Target this weekend, they had the aloe fresh scent. The scent's not great, but it's really subtle, and so far it's working really well. No stank pits, less sweating than usual, no aluminum/parabens and no irritation like the Toms of Maine stuff was.

I've been using it for the past few days, I'll report back after using it for a couple of weeks. But so far so good.
~Joshua
AncientOne

Post by AncientOne »

As Rustyblade has said, I used Regular Speed Stick up until about a week ago. It is a great product, it isn't antiperspirant, and it smells good. However, it doesn't last that long if you are really sweating, but it last longer than any other regular deodorant.

But, about a week ago I discovered Speed Stick's new product: 24/7 deodorant. It is a deodorant; not an antiperspirant, but it smells great and it lasts all day! It comes in four scents. I am using the Fresh Rush and it's great.

I am very pleased.
James
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

This thread got me thinking again about deodorant, even though I've been happy with mine.

Well, I decided to try the "crystal" deodorant and it was on sale for $4 at the local grocer (vs. nearly $7 each at Amazon). After using it over an active weekend, I'm very happy with this find. So far, no reactions to it or anything negative. The nether regions where the arm and shoulder meet might actually be said to have a pleasant scent.

Many thanks for the discussion and for the folks who mentioned it.

This is the type I bought (with aloe added):

Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
acoldspoon

Post by acoldspoon »

Shave your pits. Nothing works better. Nothing.
Cheers,
Peter J
pjdatzil

Post by pjdatzil »

+1 on the crystal deodorant! The stuff is amazing...no smell, no odor!
Tad
jramire2

Post by jramire2 »

Hoos wrote:This thread got me thinking again about deodorant, even though I've been happy with mine.

Well, I decided to try the "crystal" deodorant and it was on sale for $4 at the local grocer (vs. nearly $7 each at Amazon). After using it over an active weekend, I'm very happy with this find. So far, no reactions to it or anything negative. The nether regions where the arm and shoulder meet might actually be said to have a pleasant scent.

Many thanks for the discussion and for the folks who mentioned it.

This is the type I bought (with aloe added):

Is this a soft or a hard crystal deodarant? The packaging makes me think it's a soft deodorant, like any other deodorant. I don't like how most crystal deo's are hard that you have to wet before you apply. And I don't like the spray ones either.

If this is a soft deodorant, but crystal based, I might have to pick one up.
~Joshua
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

It's a hard deodorant - basically a block of alum. You moisten it a little bit before applying.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

jramire2 wrote:If this is a soft deodorant, but crystal based, I might have to pick one up.
Not as economical, but you can buy spray-on "crystal deodorant", where the crystal is simply dissolved in water. The same brands may come in both forms.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I apply my "crystal" deodorant just when I get out of the shower. My pits are still wet, so I don't have to moisten the crystal.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I've been using the crystal stick for a month now and it works really well. Lasts all day. Does it just kill odor, or does it actually close the pores to limit perspiration.

Couple of questions: I occasionally get a little irritation/redness from it. Has anybody else experienced this?

Also, what's the best source for the Natural Fresh stick? Are they available in stores?

Dave