What bath soap are you using right now?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Unfortunately I don't remember for sure. I think it was similiar to their regular bath soap, but then again, their bath soap and shave soap smell pretty much the same to me. Interestingly, I have been using the classic Mitchell's soap in the shower for several weeks now and have not had the problematic skin reaction that I did the last time I used it, so, if this holds I may have found my replacement for my beloved ( but now cheapened ) Vinolia. I certainly hope so.
Regards,
Gordon
95%

Post by 95% »

Gordon, if indeed you can use MWF bath soap with no reaction to the lanolin, it will be a milestone in the annals of SMF, and a perfect answer to the recent Vinolia catastrophe. The creaminess of this soap is like nothing I've experienced. Yet it rinses off nicely while leaving no residue.

I will simply order a bar in the Country Scene wrapper and report back to the group on how its scent differs, if at all, from the classic version. In any case I plan on making MWF my soap of choice.
Porter
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thatnks Porter...Im looking forward to hearing what you thing. ive always wondered what that soap is but was to afraid(cheap) to try it :lol:

i alternate between vinolia and mwf........soap heaven!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Just started on a bar of C&E Sandalwood soap. Nice scent. I'm impressed with the two C&E soaps I've used. They are very nice, indeed.
Eric
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've got a nice bar of heavily tallowed Mexican bath soap in the shower. It seems to be lasting a long time. Next after this one will be the beleagured Musgo Real "shave" soap.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I hope to be moving soon and have a newly arrived box of Green Mountain tallow bars and veggie liquid soap that will be opened at the new pad. (I am currently undergoing sensory deprivation training to prepare for the unscented wonder of it all.) I also plan on ordering some Nancy Boy Sweetgrass once settled. I do miss the original Vinolia, but that train has sailed and I have since moved on.
Ron
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

http://www.guelphsoap.com/NATURAL.HTML

They have a mint soap that is just awesome. Doesn't last too long, but is dirt cheap and really available in Canada. Apples and medicine balls compared to a proper milled soap, but works really well nonetheless.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, FWIW, that Green Mountain soap really didn't do it for me. It is TRULY scentless, which was a bit unsettling, but also, the soap itself just didn't lather or treat my skin like it has been accustomed to. I don't really know why, but it was rather a disappointment. Hopefully it will go better for you. I have been staring balefully at my dwindling supplies of the original Vinolia soap for some time, wondering what in the world I was going to do when it finally ran out. All the high end soaps that I used to love have all gone to palm oil and nothing else I've tried as a substitute has been satisfactory. I had a couple of cakes of Mitchell's lying around that my then girlfriend had bought thinking that that was what I used. I thought, 'oh well, let's give it another try...why not?'. I always thought that it was excellent soap, really liked the stuff, but had had problems with the lanolin in the past. But this time, so far, things have been fine and it's a hellava relief to tell you the truth.
Regards,
Gordon
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

95% wrote:Gents - those of you who have tried the Wool Fat Country Scene range - is it the same soap as the one that comes in the traditional yellow wrapper, or does it have a different scent? I'm digging the quality of the traditional bar but would appreciate more fragrance. It smells nothing like the shave soap, to my nose.
The Mitchell's bath soaps are all the same. The only difference is in the wrappers. The shave soap scent is different.

Regards,
Rick
95%

Post by 95% »

Thank you, Rick. That's not what I would have expected. I can't think of many other cases where the identical product is offered in more than one style of packaging.
Porter
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gordon, I haven't used the Green Mountain in quite a while so wanted to see what's what. Same with the Nancy Boy. I've been using drugstore brands lately and wanted back into the good stuff. A little scent is okay by me and suspect if the NB performs as I remember, that will become a go-to. The GM is just to have a decent-quality something around; the liquid soap is actually quite good, at least for my uses. I'm glad you and Mitchell's get along.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Looks like this week will usher in a new bar of Mexican made Rosa Venus, 5.3 ounce bar with 3 ingredients and a pleasant but mild rose fragrance. Sodium cocoate, sodium tallowate, and fragrance. That's it. Very inexpensive, to boot. Fabrica de Jabon La Corona.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's interesting Gary. A new shop called The Mexican Store recently opened in town and I may drop by to see if they have any soap products.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

My old stomping grounds in the neighboring county had Mexican shops. Next time I'm in the area I'll see if they carry soaps.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Sounds like a good deal. So far, my purusing of 'Hispanic' or 'Latino' shops around here have come up negative but I haven't checked them all out. Thanks for the tip.
Regards,
Gordon
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Started into a new bar of Claus Porto Lelite (Orange Amber) this week.

As has been mentioned it is a vegetable based soap but it is agreeable for my skin type and the scent is quite pleasant. It is one of those 12.34 ounce monstrous sized bars and contains 2% shea butter. The label claims that it is milled 7 times and air dried.

I rather like it.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Scott, Yeah, they always were top quality products. Personally, I was partial to their 'Almond' rendition....unlike the scent of most other almond soaps, a little closer to say Trumpers Almond hard shave soap in a way. I really liked it, but like my other favourites, once they went to veg. oil base it just didn't work the same for me. I'm glad they do for you because they really are fine soaps.
Regards,
Gordon
JimT

Post by JimT »

Gordon,

I have made this suggestion to you before. Try the Basis Sensitive Skin Bar. The ingredients are posted on drugstore.com. Tallow based, no fragrance, the best skin compatibility of anything I or my family have tried, shaves fairly well for a bath bar, and reasonably priced. This one has withstood the test of time and consistently comes out on top. I orginally discovered this doing research for dry skin on Mayo Clinic's website. This soap also works very well for oily skin such as foreheads by not removing excessive oil from the skin.

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jim, I first tried the Basis soap in the '80s and have checked it out at odd intervals since. It doesn't seem to work very well for me. It's a nasty predicament; the inexpensive soaps, a few of which are still tallow based, don't seem to amuse my skin or lather that well, whilst almost all of the high end soaps that I once loved have gone to a veg. oil base which ruines them for me. I'm truly relieved that the Mitchell's seems to be working great this time around because if it didn't I'd largely be SOL.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

SWMBO and I have been using Cussons Imperial Leather Original for as long as we can remember. On our annual pilgrimage to the family seat in England we stock up at the Pound Store; we get 3 x 100g bars for £1 (used to be 4) whereas in Canada we pay $2 per 100 g bar. Occasionally we'll use L'Occitane Verveine. Every once in awhile I'll torment SWMBO by opening a bar of Lifebuoy coral-coloured soap, which she hates. I like it as it reminds me of my boarding school days when we were each given a half-bar of Lifebuoy for a week of showers. Unfortunately today's Lifebuoy no longer has its characteristic medicated carbolic smell, which I loved, nor does it have the much loved red brick shape; so much for progress. Today, however, there is a nice big bar of Imperial Leather in our shower.
Bryan