What bath soap are you using right now?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
malocchio

Re: What bath soap are you using right now?

Post by malocchio »

Pears (India)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Yes Gordon -- I was typing on my tablet native keyboard ...... we pick it up in either the dollar store or local Hannaford grocery when we are in Maine -- it's dirt cheap and easily obtained down in southern Maine. The scent is marvelous --- and I haven't had any issues with the change to the palm oil base. Guess I am lucky there.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

bernards66 wrote:Wendell, Since you're in Canada I assume that you're talking about the real Yardley Lavender soap, the stuff from England? If so, yeah, that's always been one of my favourites but it's hard to find and quite expensive in the US. And now that they too have switched to a palm oil base, well....doesn't work so well for me but the scent is still superb. Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon & Wendell, I buy Yardley Lavender bath soap at the Dollar Store (I also buy poo bags for the dog there). The bars I have currently are made in the USA. The ingredients are listed as, sodium tallowate, water, sodium cocoate, glycerin, fragrance, lavandula angustifolia oil, sodium chloride, titanium dioxide, tetrasodium EDTA and iron oxides. It sounds like a chemical dump, but it sure does smell good and works very well.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Admittedly, I haven't purchased it in Canada in ages -- and I do mean ages .... but as Bryan notes -- it is plentiful in the US at bargain prices.
Wendell

wvbias

Post by wvbias »

Yardley Oatmeal & Almond

Terry
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

Yardley Oatmeal & Almond

Terry
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yardley Honeysuckle today, a stash of which I found while moving.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bryan, Yeah, I know. I suspect that Wendell did not read my earlier post closely...or perhaps has not checked the packaging of his Yardley soap and just assumed it was English when, in fact, he is getting that made in the US under license stuff. Not that it's 'bad', mind you, but it's a quite different soap from the original which is still being made in England. I believe that the real English made version is somewhat available in Canada, at least forum members there in the past have said that they could buy it locally. While not inexpensive even there it was reported to be considerably less pricey than it is in the US...in the very few places one can find it here at all. It was one of my all time favourite soaps and I would pick some up in NYC occasionally ( at the old Cambridge Chemists ). But since they've switched to a palm oil base I am reluctant to gamble the money as no palm oil based soap that I've tried, at any price, has been satisfactory from my point of view. The US stuff is tallow, or at least it has been until recently...there has been some talk that it too has been changed, but the rest of the mix and the manufacturing process is different from the English original. I can sort of use it but my skin isn't that keen on it and it doesn't lather quite as well as I would like. Still, it is, IMO, the best soap out there that is inexpensive and relatively easy to find locally.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, Yardley soaps are stock items at our local Dollartree though I generally just buy the Holiday Editions, which are still only a dollar.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

MWF. We've tried it before and weren't impressed, but SWMBO and I decided to give it a second chance.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Yardley Honeysuckle today, a stash of which I found while moving.
So there you go, Squire -- the benefits of moving house are finally manifest.

We are back to Dove this morning.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Always looking on the bright side aren't you Wendell, I'll bet there's a lot of laughter around your house.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Always looking on the bright side aren't you Wendell, I'll bet there's a lot of laughter around your house.
Well -- the laughter is usually at my expense --- Dad always gets laughed at most in any family situation. This past weekend, I was playing Patch Adams to our cold-ridden granddaughter -- I let her put hot pink post-it notes all over my face. Kept her occupied and happy -- her parents couldn't take anything I was saying seriously while looking at me.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ah, those post it notes. My kid still does that and he's bigger than me.
Regards,
Squire
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

Yardley Oatmeal & Almond

Bought two bars of this and two Lavender
at Dollar General Store.

Something a little different for my usual
Ivory, Irish Spring or Coast. I usually rotate
through these three.

Terry
brothers

Post by brothers »

Someone gave me a chunk of homemade bath soap. I don't think it'll last long, it's small, and it does lather nicely. Maybe a light fragrance, but not bad.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

At least the price was right.
Regards,
Squire
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

I do a motley mixture of things with bath soap/washes. I've given up wearing scent, most of the time, and instead do some olfalchemy in the shower (just mixed right on the wash cloth/sponge/scrunchy thing). It still provides a nice scent but without a strong announcement.

Moulton Brown's Recharge actually mixes with other things quite well. Just a little bit (a few drips/drabs of it only) of it can bring out a nice scent in an otherwise mediocre gel/cleanser. A little bit mixed with Kiehl's Grapefruit highlights the bright notes. (Same with Trader Joe's bodywash, but a tad more mellow.) Same with lime bodywashes.

A mix of Provence Sante's Vetiver bodywash and Dial's Coconut Water wash (surprisingly not bad if a little strong on the coconut smell) is a nice, springy melange that's also pretty mild. I keep trying to recreate the clean, sharp scent of Claus Porto's Vetiver bodywash but with little success (haven't tried the bars because the CP bars are just too large). Provence Sante's comes closest. Need to try it with Kiehl's Grapefruit and see. I have my doubts though - they're both a tad too sweet in the scent department.

For bars, I really like Crabtree & Evelyn's Sienna (only in the winter, though). I have a few bars of Trumper's Fern, which is nice from time to time in the summer. I'm trying out Ayurveda's vetiver soap bar. It's OK. A glycerine soap. The scent is just kind of mediocre - OK, but nothing that makes me want to buy it again.

And, every once in a while, I just use a good old bar of yellow Dial soap or plain old Castile soap.

I like some variety in my routine. :D
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

Variety is the spice of life and since we only go
around this old world once we may as well make
the trip a pleasant one whenever possible.

Terry
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well said Terry.
Regards,
Squire