What bath soap are you using right now?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

What bath soap are you using right now?

Post by rustyblade »

Currently I am using D.R. Harris Almond Oil. I love the scent and it is a nice long-lasting bar. It makes the whole bathroom smell nice.

Before that I was using Mitchell's Wool Fat (fantastic moisturizing soap and lathers more than the Harris and Nancy Boy).

After the Harris soap is done I plan on using a Nancy Boy soap, scent undecided yet (I have three of their soap scents).

If you are using a shower "gel" explain yourselves please. ;)
Richard
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

We pretty much stick with the Kirk's castile.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I use Floris, Woods of Windsor and Pre de Provence.

I need to add Claus Porto soaps.
Last edited by Austin on Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Richard: I use both soap and shower gel. The soap I use is Floris Rose Geranium. I really like the lather it creates, a thicker sort of lather. The scent is really nice, really nice. An expensive soap at $7 a bar or so, when it is on sale, but probably the nicest soap I have ever used.

I started using Molton Brown products when I stayed at the Hermitage Hotel in Nashville. Got hooked on the Black Pepper and other scents. I picked some up on sale at TJ Maxx so I have like two whole bottles and the little bottle still left

Sam
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Sam, I reckon shower/bath gels are just a scam to get you to use more product.

Not that there is anything wrong with them, I just find them more inconvenient to use. Anytime I have used them I found I have to use a remarkable amount of gel to get a lather going on a wash rag/scrub. I prefer to use a good hard bar of soap and my rough working-man hands to clean myself.

Bar soap: it has worked for centuries...
Richard
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Nothing wrong with bar soap. And I was not a big gel fan but the scent of that Molton Brown was incredible. It lathers easily and I can use a quarter-sized amount and lather my whole body. Getting a bottle for $10 or less at TJ Maxx was a deal. Ill probably be less likely to get gels in the future unless I can score a deal on them because $23 for it is a bit too much. $10 or less seems like a bargain. Other than that, Ill pop for much more Floris when it goes on sale, and then there is the L'Occitane shop in Nashville where I can get some soap.

Sam
dridiot

Post by dridiot »

Hi Richard,

I guess it is "SOAPS" you meant.

I have a couple in rotation and whenever mood strikes.
Here is the list:

1. D.R. Harris Old English Lavender
2. D.R. Harris Almond Oil
3. L'Occitane Extra Gentle Soap Verbena
4. Pears Vinolia Boracic Cream and Cold Cream Soap
5. Yardley English Lavender Luxury Soap
6. Yardley Sandalwood Soap

* Will do a trade if anyone is interested in item(s) 4,5,and 6. PM me.

Regards,
Jason
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

dridiot wrote: 4. Pears Vinolia Boracic Cream and Cold Cream Soap
5. Yardley English Lavender Luxury Soap
6. Yardley Sandalwood Soap
I have seen Yardley lavender at Wal-Mart, is it any good? I read the ingredients and it is tallow based. If it is a good soap, it is very accessible and a good price.

Where did you find the Vinolia?
Richard
dridiot

Post by dridiot »

Richard,

It is the English Lavender "Made in England" from Yardley of London and not the usual one found in US. Very nice herbal Lavender scent. " Finest Lavender in the World" or so they say...

http://www.yardleylondon.co.uk/lavender.html

NOT THIS US version!!!!!!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Yardley-London-Fl ... B0006M6ARY

Vinolia aka " Titanic Soap ", I bought it in England.

-Jason
Last edited by dridiot on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Richard, they have some Yardley soap at Highland Farms and I picked up a bar a while back. I wasn't too impressed with it though. I do like a bar of olive oil soap I picked up at Starsky's, it was only 99 cents but is simply amazing. Highland Farms also carries some Greek soaps that seem to be tallow based and have one with a Tabac :o scent ( yes, it says Tabac on the package) that I love very much. There are other scents as well but I haven't tried them yet.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

I use a bar of Nancy Boy soap in signature scent. The best bar of soap I have used. Not drying or annoying scent.
Jeffrey Weaver

"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril. "
Sir Winston Churchill

http://scoffery.com
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Nitrox wrote:Highland Farms also carries some Greek soaps that seem to be tallow based and have one with a Tabac :o scent ( yes, it says Tabac on the package) that I love very much. There are other scents as well but I haven't tried them yet.
Did you say TABAC!? =P~

There is a Highland Farms not far from here...!
Richard
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

I haven't tried most of the soaps listed, but I will chime in for Nancy Boy soaps--particularly the Signature scent. It is by far the best bar of soap that I have ever used.
Danny
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

i alternate between dr. bronner's magic soap (peppermint) and caswell-massey's almond cold cream soap. both are A+++ in my book.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

rustyblade wrote:
Nitrox wrote:Highland Farms also carries some Greek soaps that seem to be tallow based and have one with a Tabac :o scent ( yes, it says Tabac on the package) that I love very much. There are other scents as well but I haven't tried them yet.
Did you say TABAC!? =P~

Yep, Tabac. The Highland Farm up on 400 and Rutherford? I guess they all carry the same assortment.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Nitrox wrote:
rustyblade wrote:
Did you say TABAC!? =P~

Yep, Tabac. The Highland Farm up on 400 and Rutherford? I guess they all carry the same assortment.
Yes, that one. At one point I was looking around for the Tabac line with no success. I reckon a German deli/grocer in the Kitchener/Waterloo area would have it.
Richard
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Pangea organic soap. A bunch of Boulder hippies turned soapmakers (rule one of fight club...). My wife and I met them at a wedding in Santa Fe, tried their product (soap product), and liked it greatly.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Stauff

Post by Stauff »

Bronnley RHS srose soap. Great scent and skincare. :)
Regards,
Frederik

'Alles Behaartsein ist tierisch. Die Rasur ist Abzeichen höherer Zivilisation' (Arthur Schopenhauer)
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm currently using a bar of Caswell-Massey's Almond soap. They say that George Washington used it. I hope he didn't use the same bar I'm using, though. It didn't look used when I unwrapped it.

Before that, it was a bar of C-M's Newport (the old formula, which was brown, rather than blue). Decent scent, although it can be disconcerting watching the brown trail go down the drain. Overall, I like C-M's soaps. Their Jockey Club is probably my favorite soap scent, although I'm not as keen on the Jockey Club cologne.

Most months, though, the missus picks the soaps. She reaches into the Soap Vault and picks out something in a fragrance she likes, and I use it. Sometimes it's a Roget & Gallet, other times it's some nameless peach-mango glyerine thing. She's got a big block of that olive oil castille soap that she slices a chunk off occasionally. Good stuff.
--Bob--
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

We bought an Ecowater water treatment system when we bought our house back in 2003. Part of the deal was a bunch of personal care and household cleaning products designed to work well with soft water. Among those were several boxes of oatmeal bar soap.

It's wonderful stuff. I've been washing with nothing but that for nearly three years now. My face gets Neutrogena Oil-Free acne wash, but the rest of my body gets the oatmeal.