What bath soap are you using right now?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
bikeguy1

Post by bikeguy1 »

Alternate between Santa Maria Novella "Melograno" (pomegranate)...the large bar lasts a good three months...and Claus Porto "Rivale" (grapefruit-fig) and "Tabaco" (tobacco, obviously!)

Usually purchase when I'm in Europe, but available here: http://www.lafcony.com

So many soaps, so little time!

Happy lathering...

Bob
timc

Post by timc »

I recently started using Goat's Milk soap (http://www.canusgoatsmilk.com/eng/html/maineng.html), and I find that it keeps my skin moisturized. It's a nice, inexpensive, triple-milled tallow-based soap. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now.

If only it worked on my hands. Nothing seems to keep them from getting dry and cracked in the winter.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

bernards66 wrote:David, The real Claus Porto soaps are very good indeed, especially considering that they are not grossly expensive... The Almond is my personal favourite of all of them; very rich and old fashioned, masculine scent. I prefer the 'smaller' cakes that come in three packs, as they're still the size of normal bath bars. They are harder to find though. Claus Porto is one of the few reasonably available quality bath soaps that are still tallow based.
Regards,
Gordon
I bought a 3-pk of the C-M almond bath soap ("Pres Eisenhower"). Are these made by Claus Porto?

It was great soap, and very long-lasting.

Greg
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Right now I'm using Floris Santal bath soap which was a gift from another member. Great scent, great tallow-based soap.
Richard
ferbenic

Post by ferbenic »

I've been using Claus Porto's Musgo Real Soap on a Rope for a while now. No complaints, my skin feels great and the scent, well you know, calssic musgo real. I'm thinking on ordering some G.F. Trumper's goat milk soaps. I know we all have heard good things about goat milk soaps regarding skin care. Could somebody please comment on the scent?. I mean, G.F.T's are 12 Pounds for a single tablet. They oughta smell like paradise.
jakuda

Post by jakuda »

Nancy Boy's Signature Scent body soap
Stauff

Post by Stauff »

Tadé Aleppo soap.
This is the real deal, the legendary soap made in Aleppo (Syria) for tens of centuries. Basically just olive oil (65%), laurel oil (35%) and soda. Looks like a small, brown-greenish brick with stamped Arabic lettering on it. These soaps are left to dry for months in ancient cellars. Weird, but they float in my bath...
I love the neutral, really clean scent. The skincare is amazing as well.
Regards,
Frederik

'Alles Behaartsein ist tierisch. Die Rasur ist Abzeichen höherer Zivilisation' (Arthur Schopenhauer)
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I got down to the last bit of the Blenheim Bouquet bar, you know when it starts getting paper thin and then the thing breaks in half on you? Today, I had a choice of Floris Santal, Floris 89 and a Castle Forbes. Went with the Castle Forbes. That thing lathered creamy as the Floris Rose Geranium I like. Yet the smell is non-existent when lathered and it is not quite citrusy when you unwrap it. Anyone know what kind of smell it is?

I have an extra Id trade for something if anyone wants to swap and try this. I am tempted to use this as a face soap as well.

Sam

\edit: Used it as a face soap this evening. I love that it makes a creamy lather, and it is on par in that regard with my Floris Rose Geranium. Im not good at scents but when lathered, the scent disappears quickly, which could be a good thing for a face soap. I know that some say Penhaligons is maybe a Floris soap, but my Blenheim never lathered as creamy as the Floris. Well CF does. I usually use the Molton Brown Milk and Oatlmeal but I think I might trade those.

Sam
JAL1639

Post by JAL1639 »

Irish Spring

Jeremy
bikeguy1

Santa Maria Novella

Post by bikeguy1 »

Using the last bar of Santa Maria Novella Melograno (Pomegranate) that I bought in Florence in November. However, I found it here: http://lafcony.com/Merchant2/merchant.m ... Code=10219

although it costs about 70% more here!

It's great stuff, mild, lasts a couple of months....my favorite, although the Claus Porto soaps are great, too!

Happy Lathering,
Bob
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ANy body got a bar of Nancy Boy they want to trade for something? ALso Cusson's seems like I need to try it. Gordon suggest Floris Rose Geranium to me and my daughter stole all of my stash to take to college. I bought a No. 89 and another Floris from SlcSteve, so I am down to that.
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

Sam,

PM me -- I'd be happy to send you a Floris Rose-Geranium on the house or in trade for the CF soap. I'd also recommend the Roger & Gallet soaps which are gentle, lather very well and have some gorgeous scents. I'm partial to Blue Lotus and Imperial Bouquet tho' the Lettuce Extract (sic) is also excellent, particularly in winter.

best,

k
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

k, The Roger & Gallet bath soaps drive me to distraction. They are one of the very few really top shelf soaps that I can buy locally, and their Fougere/Fern is just superb, scent-wise. It's almost identical to the Penhaligons English Fern soaps, at a fraction of the price. And, it's a high quality item. So, what's the problem? It's that the R&G soaps vaguely irritate my skin. It gets me nuts! WHY?! I ask myself....and I've tried them repeatedly, not wanting to believe it. But they do....sigh. So, since the Vinolia is now gone, I have finally retreated to those giant cakes of Claus Porto. I'd rather have the more modest sized cakes, but they don't have those, of course. And in Verbena because they don't have my favourites; their Almond and their Lavender. So, I make do...just can't get past my resistance to always having to mail order bath soap ( as well as the expense ). But if I could, I would just order Floris Rose Geranium and the Penhaligon's English Fern soaps by the case, and be done with it....sigh.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z

Post by z »

I'm currently using this huge 12 oz bar of lemon castile soap from Target. Seems to be Castelbel soap in an unbranded label. They've got a few in the spa section for about six bucks. It's about half the price that they normally cost in more expensive stores, but the selection is smaller.

Previously I was using a bar of Fresh Tobacco Flower. Not a bad soap. I'd use it again, if I found it locally. The smell is pretty unique, but is a tad artificial. Still, smells nice and clean and a bit spicy.

"Bar-none" (har har) I still find Nancy Boy to be one of my favorites for the price. Which reminds me... Here is a secret. I managed to get Eric Roos to tell me about it in an email....

Nancy Boy just started selling their "replenishing" cucumber body wash this month. I prefer vegetable soaps to body washes these days, so I figured I'd see if Nancy Boy had one on the way. I emailed Eric to ask if he'd start selling a soap as well. He said they've tested it and it smells fantastic. So, here's hoping that we'll see a cucumber body bar from Nancy Boy soon. Eric seems to hint that it will be happening.
Zach
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

I've been using this Dead Sea mud soap from One With Nature. At first I thought it was good, but nothing too special, but after using it during dry weather for a couple of weeks, I think it's actually done a great job of helping dry skin. It's under $3, and the mud in it is the second ingredient, so when it dries, it looks like cracked adobe or something, but I think it'll actually hold up for quite a long time. Virtually no scent, too.
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

bernards66 wrote:k, The Roger & Gallet bath soaps drive me to distraction. They are one of the very few really top shelf soaps that I can buy locally, and their Fougere/Fern is just superb, scent-wise. It's almost identical to the Penhaligons English Fern soaps, at a fraction of the price. And, it's a high quality item. So, what's the problem? It's that the R&G soaps vaguely irritate my skin. It gets me nuts! WHY?! I ask myself....and I've tried them repeatedly, not wanting to believe it. But they do....sigh. So, since the Vinolia is now gone, I have finally retreated to those giant cakes of Claus Porto. I'd rather have the more modest sized cakes, but they don't have those, of course. And in Verbena because they don't have my favourites; their Almond and their Lavender. So, I make do...just can't get past my resistance to always having to mail order bath soap ( as well as the expense ). But if I could, I would just order Floris Rose Geranium and the Penhaligon's English Fern soaps by the case, and be done with it....sigh.
Regards,
Gordon
Hi Gordon,

I'm sorry to hear the the R&G irritate your skin -- I like these soaps so much that I find myself collecting them. Sigh. I had to restrain myself in Paris from pursuing a "one of each" policy on thiese soaps since they make roughly a million varieties. And there's nothing like explaining why you're carrying 14 soaps in bright plastic cases to sceptical Customs folk. Anyway, here's a site that does the Claus Porto lavender in the smaller (5.8 oz) size:

http://www.momentumgrooming.com/qs/category/58/4299/0/0

It's mail order, but they have free shipping on at the mo.

all best,

k
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

JAL1639 wrote:Irish Spring

Jeremy
Me too ; a bit drying but great scents
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Im tiring of bath gels and have read this thread. I am surprised we have not brought it up more. I did like the creamy lather of the Floris Rose Geranium Gordon suggested I buy and until my daughter stole my stash, was looking forward to it. So in reading, I was wonding on thoughts on these soaps, as far as lather, price, scent, how long they last, etc.

Vinolia - Gordon's Pic?
Nancy Boy - maybe not as long lasting
Claus Porto
L'Occitane soaps
Pre-de-Provence and other Marseille soaps (but not the cube)
Roger & Gallet
Lightfoot
What about that black soap, Magno

I have tried the Asquith soaps at TJ Maxx but they seem to lack something the Floris had.

Sam
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Sam, Magno is a nice cheap soap. The scent is rather spicy but nice. You can find it at CVS.
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Someone please send me one of the bath soaps mentioned within these threads because I still cannot see how they can/could be less stripping/more moisturizing than shower gels. And for the price of some of these I cannot bring myself to pull the trigger on a purchase. I'm so confused.