What bath soap are you using right now?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today I'm going to use a sample that was sent to me from Martin de Candre. It smells wonderful, and I'm sure the soap's going to be just fine too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, I think that their bath soaps are very fine indeed if Marseilles style soap agrees with one's skin. I had some last year and my SO found it excellent ( she usually uses l'Occitane Lavender ). Like all soaps of this type however, it didn't agree with me...I seem to need a tallow based soap for my skin to be happy. The MdC bath soaps are mighty expensive though by the time they arrive at the US consumer's door. Enjoy.
Regards,
Gordon
tom920

Post by tom920 »

I enjoy using Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Bar Soap.

I'm in no way connected with this company.
I'm listing these links because I found them helpful,
and want to pass it on in case it can help others.
http://lisa.drbronner.com/?p=675
http://www.drbronner.com/soapmaking_overview.html

Tom
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Just finishing a bar of Sea Salt bar soap from QED, wonderful stuff. Luxuriant lather, kind to my skin, and a scent (to me) of clean white sheets drying on the line under a bright Sicilian sun.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Martin de Candre Lavande bar soap is very nice. It's a hard soap, and even though it's just a sample bar, it's pretty large, and is looking like it'll last a good while. I have no idea how much a full size bar would cost.

Edit: I've visited the website, just out of curiosity. The bar I have is the olive oil based bath soap, and the one I have is the 55g minicube that sells for around $6.50 US, not counting shipping. They also sell it in 150 and 225g bars. The big bath bar is over $18 US, not counting shipping. Maybe I can win the lottery and buy myself a couple of bars. For now, I can visit the local hispanic grocery store and they sell huge bars of Mexican-made pleasantly scented tallow rose bath soap for about $0.85. Now that's more like it!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Bee & Flower Sandalwood Soap. Inexpensive, tallow containing, and wonderful sandalwood scent.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

Picked up a bar of Vinolia the other day. Used it first yesterday. Nice bar. May pick up another bar in the future, but it wouldn't be my first pick off the shelf. Good soap nonetheless.
--Greg
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Years ago my sister gave me for Christmas a set of Dunhill cologne and bath soap. I opened up the bath soap this week, and it is quite nice. It lathers well and smells great.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Greg, What are the ingrediants of the Vinolia that you just got? I ask because that has been my bath soap of choice for years now but it seems that they have finally caved and gone the palm oil base route. All the Vinolia I've been using and the two cakes I still have left are the old tallowate stuff but I've been told by a knowledgeable fellow SMF member that what they make now is not even in the same league. I've been increasingly concerned as my stash has dwindled down because there are almost no bath soaps left that I like and that my skin gets along with.
Regards,
Gordon
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

Gordon,

I threw the box out when I put the bar in my bathroom; however, in the next day or so I'll walk over to Merz and check out a box.
--Greg
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Greg,
Thanks.
Regards,
Gordon
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

Here's a snapshot of the ingredients on the box.

--Greg
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Greg, Yep, unfortunately it is the newer stuff. I've never tried it but Chris ( from Philadelphia ) who also has used Vinolia quite a bit has said that he doesn't think it holds a candle to the older tallow based version. He also felt that the scent had been changed as well. Sigh...what a drag. Still, thanks for the follow-up on this.
Regards,
Gordon
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

This will make Wendell very happy! None other than Mitchel's Wool Fat Bath Soap. In fact I used it this morning for my shower and followed that up with a great shave using (drumroll please) Mitchel's Wool Fat Shave Soap.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Just started on C&E Vetiver and Juniper soap. Very nice.
Eric
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Claus Porto Banco which is sort of a light verbena scent. Found a couple of those big honking bars in the back of a drawer.
Regards,
Squire
John N.

Post by John N. »

PdP Verbena and...
A very fine artisan soap made locally in Seattle by Soapworks Studio. My favorite so far is their Bergamot Shea Butter bar.
J.
John N.
AxelH

Post by AxelH »

Yardley's Cocoa Butter. First tallow-based body soap I've ever owned and used.
Lover of cold, hard steel.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now on deck for the next bath soap in my shower is the infamous Musgo Real Shave Soap. It smells great and is a big 4.4 ounce puck of very hard soap.
Gary

95%

Post by 95% »

Gents - those of you who have tried the Wool Fat Country Scene range - is it the same soap as the one that comes in the traditional yellow wrapper, or does it have a different scent? I'm digging the quality of the traditional bar but would appreciate more fragrance. It smells nothing like the shave soap, to my nose.
Porter