What bath soap are you using right now?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
lanolite

Re: What bath soap are you using right now?

Post by lanolite »

Colgate Deodorant Beauty Soap, with lanolin and hexachlorophene. From 1956! It has a little seal on the wrapper commemorating the 150th anniversary of Colgate-Palmolive. Colgate & Co. was founded in 1806, so that's how I get the 1956 date.

Remember hexachlorophene? It was in just about everything, including toothpaste, as an antibacterial agent, until around 1970 when it was identified as a suspected carcinogen. internet research says that the link to cancer has been disproven, so I see no reason not to use it.

The scent reminds me of something my grandmother used. Not really bad, but terribly old-fashioned.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Old Fashioned suits me right well. The kids are amused by my interest in such things as I am amused by their reaction to stories about the days when we only had BW tv and a total of two broadcast channels.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

The imperial leather was delivered yesterday (thanks jeff!!!). Out the packet, the scent is welcoming, but the lather seems a bit stingy. probably needs a couple of uses before it shines.

to date, my two best finds via smf are mwf and cashmere bouquet, however CB doesnt last very long and the shape of the bar gets minus thumbs up (is that a thumbs down??)from me :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've learned that MWF bath soap and those huge L'Occitane bath soaps make great comparable lather, and they last a long time too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote:The imperial leather was delivered yesterday (thanks jeff!!!). Out the packet, the scent is welcoming, but the lather seems a bit stingy. probably needs a couple of uses before it shines.

to date, my two best finds via smf are mwf and cashmere bouquet, however CB doesnt last very long and the shape of the bar gets minus thumbs up (is that a thumbs down??)from me :D :D

clive
Interesting observation on the CIL lather. But, as we know only too well, YMWV. How are you finding it now Clive?
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:I've learned that MWF bath soap and those huge L'Occitane bath soaps make great comparable lather, and they last a long time too.
Never used L'Occitane, but +1 on MWF -- which is what we have in the shower today. We are nursing a very small supply of these coveted bars at the moment. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning I opened the second bar of MWF in a row, as I continue to work my way through several brands of good bath soaps I've accumulated over time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:This morning I opened the second bar of MWF in a row, as I continue to work my way through several brands of good bath soaps I've accumulated over time.
It's such wonderful stuff, that MWF ...... simply wonderful.
Wendell

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Just started using one of Peter's (scritchnscrub) bath soaps - wonderful stuff. It looks and smells like a piece of chocolate cake, with actual chocolate powder on top.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sounds seductive.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I've been using a Tim's Soap bath bar for the last couple of days and it makes a creamy lather that feels really good on the skin.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Anyone try the 4711?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, we went through several boxes of the 4711, I rather liked it.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks squire. The other day Phil posted about a sale he was having and thats when i saw the 4711. I will have to order some!!!

clive
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

[quote="lanolite"]Colgate Deodorant Beauty Soap, with lanolin and hexachlorophene. From 1956!

My God, lanolite...go buy some fresh bars of Irish Spring...would you!

*I wish Cogate made a matching shave stick to go with the bath soap, but that is another thing.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

12 day's on and we still have a week's worth of the MWF bar we started nearly 2 weeks ago. My wife wants to find out whether Mitchell's have a factory outlet in Bradford ...... I sadly informed her that they did not -- at least not the last time I checked ..... would love a factory tour -- not sure they have gotten the Emma Bridgewater model yet .... or perhaps simply a different set of business parameters.
Wendell

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Found at Wal-Mart. Kirk's castille soap . 3.pack for like $3.84 . Creamy lather
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Using L'Occitane bath soap at the moment. Taking a break from our usual Cussons Imperial Leather.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the MWF bar we started
still the best soap out there and the only one, in my experience anyway, that is worth every penny

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today I started a new bar of Swedish Dream Sea Salt Soap. Supposedly for shaving and/or bath. A thoughtful gift and I did attempt to lather it with a shaving brush. I know I could have shaved with it, but it's more convenient to use it up in the shower. I was surprised to find out that this bar of soap has actual grains of sea salt throughout. An abrasive of sorts. It did great in the shower.
Gary