What bath soap are you using right now?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Hugo,

I don't know that soaps are generally more moisturizing than shower gels, although in my case I certainly prefer them as they agree better with my skin. As far as price is concerned, I would say a bar of triple-milled soap probably gets more mileage, dollar for dollar, than your average shower gel. Of course certain soaps like Santa Maria Novella are marked up very high in price but this can also be argued for many of the high end shower gels. All said and told, this is another YMMV thing.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Ren,
You are right. I'm certain most of what can be said within this thread -- concerning soaps vs. body washes -- is it is a preferential thing and, as you pointed out, YMMV. Each persons skin is unique, and what works well for one will not necessarily work for another. To date, I've yet to find a soap that performs as well as the body washes I currently use. Yet, all this talk about soaps has peaked my interest. Something that I can say is unnatural for me.
Maybe next fall I'll look into some of the soaps mentioned within this thread, but for now I'm looking at a few of the Korres body washes. Nothing but amazing things have been said in regards to these as well.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Just finished a bar of tallow based Floris Santal and started on a bar of Mitchell's Wool Fat. Mitchell's gives a slightly creamier lather than the Floris soap. I did a side by side comparison with the remaining sliver of Floris (one lathered on one arm and the other). That bar of Floris had to have lasted around 5 weeks with only myself using it. So many good soaps!

Next will be Yardley Lavender (English version). I expect the large 150g Mitchell's bar to last me another 5 weeks.
Richard
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Ivory...what can I say. It does the job for me.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I spent some Christmas money on some common toiletries like dental floss and talcum powder, and sprung for a three-pack of Kirk's Original Coco Castile soap.

I've never tried it before, and have been curious for years about why it even existed.

It smells like Ivory, but the lather is very nice and thick. I'm quite pleased.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I have been alternating between Musgo Real body soap and Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soap.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I've been using a bar of Hermes Equipage. But I just bought some bars of vintage Yardley Lavender soap on Etsy. I've never used this before, so I'm looking forward to trying it.
_______
John
buster

Post by buster »

Caswell-Massey Sandalwood currently with a bar of Mitchell's in waiting.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Caswell-Massey lavender.
Regards,
Squire
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

CM Sandalwood here. Winners (CDN = TJ Max) had a bunch of CM soaps on hand. Nice soap.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

A fresh cake of Imperial Leather showed up in the shower a few days ago -- sheer bathing joy.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Araner

Post by Araner »

Caswell-Massey Lime

Mike
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Yardley Pomegranate Rose bath bar.

> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

SS where did you find the Yardley?
Regards,
Squire
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

I've seen it a Dollar Tree here in West Virginia.
They also have the Yardley Lavender.

Terry
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

The cheapest I can find. Currently Irish Spring in its various forms.
Ed
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

wvbias wrote:I've seen it a Dollar Tree here in West Virginia.
They also have the Yardley Lavender.

Terry
It's truly amazing how in a dollar store, one man's junk is truly another man's treasure.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

The fat for me

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Squire wrote:SS where did you find the Yardley?
I actually picked up that Yardley at a Big Lots store. I'm not sure if y'all have those near you or not, but it's kind of a bargain discount store. I got a pack of 4 bars for $3. Works out to $0.75 per bar. Not too bad! Though I did just see a post somewhere that Walgreens drug store has a coupon to get a bar of their soap for only $0.65 or $0.69. I can't remember the price but if there is a Walgreens near you just go in and look for their paper with specials in it. The coupon should be in there.

Edit: Yep, just looked at the coupon. 69 cents at Walgreens and the sale coupon is good through 1/14/2012
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah!....another old thread. Well, since my last posting I located mail order sources for Vinolia and have been using it ever since. Unfortunately, they too finally succumed to the irrational move from tallow to palm oil base ( and, according to Chris, screwed up the scent as well ). I still have a few cakes of the good ole stuff thanks to Dr. Chris, but after they're gone, I'm not sure. Mitchell's WF is awfully nice and I can use it for awhile but eventually the lanolin tends to annoy my skin. Green Mountain makes an okay tallow soap but it is unscented ( for real for real ) so it's not very pleasing to me. When the old Vinolia runs out bath soap will become a real dilemma for me again.
Regards,
Gordon