What bath soap are you using right now?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Does anyone like regular Pears? I love the scent and the heritage it has, but it seems to disappear pretty quick (glycerin).
Richard
mgraepel

Post by mgraepel »

I can't recall the brand name off the top of my head, but it's a local soap maker and the soap in question is pure Castille soap with peppermint oil. I smell like a candy cane when I come out of the showers now :P
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Holt Renfrew proprietary triple-milled soaps - gardenia and grapefruit in particular. Also, Roger & Gallet mild soap bars.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
BD1970

Post by BD1970 »

although it can be disconcerting watching the brown trail go down the drain.
LMAO =D>
Brad
BD1970

Post by BD1970 »

Where did you find the Vinolia?
FWIW, Vinolia is sold at Vermont Country Store...or it used to be.
Last edited by BD1970 on Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

BD1970 wrote:Where did you find the Vinolia?
FWIW, Vinolia is sold at Vermont Country Store...or it used to be.[/quote]

I thought you may have had a lead on some that Gordon hadn't sniffed out yet. :)
Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I found this interesting nugget just now regarding Mitchell's Wool Fat (5):

Richard
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

For me it's Imperial Leather Original.

http://www.imperialleather.co.uk/barsoa ... d=original

I used to be able to get it on the cheap here in Canada at most dollar stores (that was after Boots closed Canadian operations a number of years ago - they stocked it all the time). Now I am lucky if I find it a couple of times a year so every time someone we know travels to the UK, we get them to do a market run and pick up a few 4-for-£1 packs to keep us going.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
scarface911

Post by scarface911 »

Using both Bee and Flower Jasmine and Nancy Boy Signature right now.

The next in line is Dr.Bronners Almond.
dridiot

Post by dridiot »

Hi Wendell,

Cussons Imperial Leather Original, I have used that when I was a child.....There is even an ad on tv that I remembered very clearly.

They put One Cussons and an unknown soap together and run a shower on both and guess which one last longer?

My siblings and I used to fight over that bar of soap.

Thanks for bringing back those memories......

Havent seen them for a while now, gotta start looking....

Regards,
Jason
javyn

Post by javyn »

KMF now.

I like the Zum bars, they smell amazing, but are expensive and don't last long at all.

Next, I don't know what I'll try but if the weather is still cold, I know it's going to have to have Shea.
John
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

dridiot wrote:Hi Wendell,

Cussons Imperial Leather Original, I have used that when I was a child.....There is even an ad on tv that I remembered very clearly.

They put One Cussons and an unknown soap together and run a shower on both and guess which one last longer?

Regards,
Jason
I grew up with that soap as well. As a kid that sticker always interested me. The soap would wear funny because of that sticker on it. I should pick some up sometime, I see it now and then.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Evening, Ah, one of my favourite topics, and it's nice to see that there is much more general discenment evident, compared to the last time this topic really came up ( which was on the old Wetshavers forum ). There are certainly still a lot of real quality soaps available, if one knows where to look. Unfortunately for me, some of the best ones are out of court for me, due to that pesky lanolin problem again; Harris's, Wool Fat, and Bronnley pop immediately to mind. My favourites are the Floris soaps, especially Rose Geranium and Lavender. Also, Penhaligon's English Fern. The Santa Maria Novella soaps are also just superb ( I'm partial to their Lavender and Russian Cologne scents ). All three of these are brutally expensive though. I always pick up some Floris Rose Geranium when I'm in NYC, but I only mail order it when/if it is on sale. When I didn't have any, I always used Vinolia. A truly top shelf, old fashioned, classic bath soap. For awhile I was buying it at our local C-M shop for $5 a cake, and it was a steal at that price. Before it became locally available, I usually used the 'smaller' cakes of Claus Porto Almond. Now, neither one is available in these parts, and the Vinolia seems to be gone from N. America, AGAIN! All these five soaps are tallow based. Very recently, in a fit of despair, I've had to turn to the C&E Goat's Milk soap. I used this stuff regularly many years ago. It was better back then, but it's still a fine quality bath soap, and, it's easily obtainable locally, and not especially expensive. So, that's were I'm at right at the moment. I am looking forward to popping into the NY Floris shop in December though. For hand soaps; in our bathroom it's usually Roger & Gallet Fern, in our son's bath, Cusson's Imperial Leather, and in the kitchen, usually the original Pears. These last two I can generally get at the local 'British store'.
Regards,
Gordon
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Asquith & Sommerset Shea Butter bath soap. Wonderul scent and very moisturizing.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I have used your typical bar soaps from drugstores, target, and such. I never was fond of the lather, and they were always too drying for my skin. I switched to using body washes for the past several months. I currently have a bottle of Jason Lavender Satin Shower Body Wash that I picked up from whole foods. I was happy with using it, but I always grow tiresome of using the same things. I have almost used up the bottle, and I was thinking of going back to trying bar soaps for the winter. I was going to try some of the nancy boy bars, that woody's meat and potatoes giant bar soap, or i was going to pick up some T&H bars during my next time in nordstrom. What are some of the pros/cons of liquid body washes opposed to bar soaps? I always just assumed it was just a personal preference.
--Greg
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Right now, Nancy Boy, in the Sweetgrass scent. I have a bar of Spa scent waiting when I finish this one.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

I'm currently using a bar of Nancy Boy soap in one shower and a bar of Bee and Flower rose soap in the other shower. They're both fine soaps (the Nancy Boy in particular, the latter I just like for the rose scent), but whenever I use an olive oil soap like Kiss My Face, I wonder why I use anything else. Olive oil soaps just have a clean, gentle, earthy quality about them to me that belies their ugly green color!
soulshine

Post by soulshine »

nancy boy body wash
molton brown black pepper
butterscotch baby - chocolate stout body bar
logan creek bars

s~s
acoldspoon

Post by acoldspoon »

Bath for me these days:
Nancy Boy Invigorating Body Wash

The liquid soaps tend to be kinder to my dry and sensitive skin. Same reason I shy away from shaving soaps and instead use creams (mostly Nancy Boy too these days).
Cheers,
Peter J
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

rustyblade wrote:
dridiot wrote:Hi Wendell,

Regards,
Jason
I grew up with that soap as well. As a kid that sticker always interested me. The soap would wear funny because of that sticker on it. I should pick some up sometime, I see it now and then.
For me it's the sheer clean fragrance that doesn't smell purfumed to me - just plain clean.

It's a drag we can't readily find it in Canada any longer. Thankfully we are able to keep some supply around from friends and family who travel back and forth between us and the UK. It's a great deal on the market - like I said, usually 4 bars for £1. You can't beat that price.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?