Soaps versus detergents

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

This topic of OCM brings back memories of 4th year Latin class where our teacher recounted this cleansing method as it was used by the Greeks and Romans. I found it fascinating at the time as an artifact of history. I didn't realize people still did it. I myself am not interesting in performing such a ritual but it is still interesting to know.

Chris
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yes, my recollection is that the Greeks oiled themselves up and then "squeegeed" the oil off with rods, or sticks, or some such. Is that what you're up to, Chris?
--Bob--
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

Bob wrote:Yes, my recollection is that the Greeks oiled themselves up and then "squeegeed" the oil off with rods, or sticks, or some such. Is that what you're up to, Chris?
Some forms of meditation still use this method. Having lived with a gent who did it, I can confirm that health benefits aside, it made for a slippery and eventually rancid shower. If you plan on going the whole nine yards with this oiling thing, please invest in one of those nubbly mats and be prepared to change shower curtains frequently.

k
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Chris, most of what I've found about the OCM seems to be written by women for women. Thus, I'm a little puzzled as to how this method works in conjunction with shaving, since, obviously, we have a big step included in our facial grooming that women don't have to worry about. I'm curious how you work the OCM into the rest of your grooming routine. Do you do it only at night, and cleanse "normally" in the AM before shaving (assuming you shave in the morning)? If you do it twice a day, how do you integrate it with your shaving? Do you find you still need to use an aftershave balm (or other treatment) after shaving? At night (assuming you don't shave at night), do you still need to moisturize? What oil blends do you use? One you make yourself, or one you buy?

~ Nathan
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Nathan:

My routine is as follows:

PM:

1.Use OCM (this is a deep and thorough cleanse)
2. Spray Hydrosol
3. Apply a blend of Emu Oil, Pomegranate Oil and Jojoba Oil (w/ a drop of added indian sandalwood EO and a drop of Spike Lavender EO).

AM:
1. Shower and at the end risne my face thoroughly for 30 seconds with warm/hot water
2. At the basin lather up with whatever soap/cream and shave away (I don't cleanse in the AM since my PM cleanse is so thorough)
3. After shaving I rinse thoroughly with warm and then cold water.
4. Spray hydrosol
5. apply A/S product and sunblock

Once a week I use a mechanical scrub or a clay mask.

That's it !!!

Chris
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

What, no rosehip seed oil? My, how quickly things become passe. :wink:

Seriously, though, thanks for the insights.

~ Nathan
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Oops. Yes, I forgot. I do use the Rosehip Seed Oil too added to the other oils mentioned. It's my own "cocktail" if you will.

Chris
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

K and Bob:

Yes, ancient civilaztions used this method for cleansing the entire body. I know some whodo this but for me it's a "facial only" thing. I still use soap/gel to cleanse in the shower and when I am lazy I revert back to a good liquid based cleanser for the face. If you invest about 30 days in to OCM on just the face using the technique I described you'll be surprised at what it does for your overall skin texture/tone.

Chris
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

bernards66 wrote:Hugo, FWIW, I always use quality bar soaps on my face today. but alcohol based aftershaves are definately a no go for me.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,
I knew the link between the two was weak, but it was something I've been thinking about. I cannot use either on my face.
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

BURT BEES ORANGE FACIAL CLEANSER :

Our award winning facial cleanser gently removes all traces of dirt, oil, make up and pollutants while moisturizing and conditioning the skin.

* 100% Natural
* Not tested on animals

This gentle and moisturizing cleanser is especially effective on sensitive and normal to dry complexions. Natural cleansers and emollients leave your face radiantly clean and replenished without the parched tight feeling associated with harsh, synthetic cleansers or detergent-like soaps.

*(from ingredient list) Quillaja is derived from the Chilean endemic tree Quillaha saponaria. It is used as a natural soap, cleanser, and foaming agent and contains antioxidants and proteins.Removed emulsifiers; added Quillaja extract.

Vegetable Glycerin, Olive Oil, Orange Oil, Oat Flour, Lanolin, Oat Oil, Aloe Barbadensis (Leaf Juice), Vegetable Oil & Beta-carotene, Tocopheral (Vitamin E), Quillaja Extract (*see product details), Rosemary Leaf Oil
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Rafikz, thank you for the ad copy. Now, do you have any of your own thoughts to offer?

~ Nathan
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

JackieMartling wrote:Rafikz, thank you for the ad copy. Now, do you have any of your own thoughts to offer?

~ Nathan
:lol:

I posted this because everybody was talking about oil cleansing with no SLS, etc...

Yes, I used this product last winter ; I have dry skin and it's amazing ; feels goey, really different from other cleansers, but really cleanses and really ,really gentle
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

JackieMartling wrote:Rafikz, thank you for the ad copy. Now, do you have any of your own thoughts to offer?

~ Nathan
:lol:

I posted this because everybody was talking about oil cleansing with no SLS, etc...

Yes, I used this product last winter ; I have dry skin and it's amazing ; feels goey, really different from other cleansers, but really cleanses and really ,really gentle
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the input. Despite its oil content, I don't know that it would really be considered part of the OCM, which uses only oils - without any other additives, waters, foaming agents, etc. - for cleansing.

~ Nathan
xenic

Post by xenic »

I have been reading up on this oil cleansing method, and decided to try it out. I have been looking into getting some olive oil soap, instead of the OCM method of using the olive oil + castor mix because it is pretty messy. Does anybody on here use olive oil soap? Just trying to get some feedback about how well it works.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Xenic, Olive oil based soap is the classic 'Marseilles' or 'Castile' type soap. Yes, some members use them. My experiance suggests that they are often a good choice for those with more 'oily' type skin, but are too drying for those of us with dry or dry/normal skin types. My skin is much happier with high quality traditional tallow based bath soaps.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

xenic wrote:I have been reading up on this oil cleansing method, and decided to try it out. I have been looking into getting some olive oil soap, instead of the OCM method of using the olive oil + castor mix because it is pretty messy. Does anybody on here use olive oil soap? Just trying to get some feedback about how well it works.
Olive oil soap has nothing to do with oil cleaning methods. You may like the soap, but don't start to think that you're doing OCM or even close. Olive oil soap is just soap.
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

notthesharpest wrote:
xenic wrote:I have been reading up on this oil cleansing method, and decided to try it out. I have been looking into getting some olive oil soap, instead of the OCM method of using the olive oil + castor mix because it is pretty messy. Does anybody on here use olive oil soap? Just trying to get some feedback about how well it works.
Olive oil soap has nothing to do with oil cleaning methods. You may like the soap, but don't start to think that you're doing OCM or even close. Olive oil soap is just soap.
He is correct, I do the OCM and it's the Castor oil that is the 'special' ingredient.

It really is amazing wiping oil on your face and than coming away with a healthy, NON-oily, toned skin.

I only do the OCM at night and rinse my face with spectro-jel in the morning.

Also, I don't find it messy at all. I found my ratio (40% Castor/60% Olive) and just mix it into a normal soap dispensing jar. I keep it out of the bathroom (humidity) but before I bath I throw a squirt in my palm, rub them together, massage into my face for about 2 minutes. I then take a steaming hot cotton cloth and place it on my face until it cools, once it cools and gently rub it over my face to clean off some of the oil. I do this 3 times and I'm finished. I then jump in the shower and wash my hair and body and i'm done. If I am having a bath I just do the first couple steps and jump in the tub, I than continue with the cotton cloth.

Really quite simple, economical, and has worked better than anything else. I really think it is all the additives in products that bother peoples skin. If they just let their skin be it wouldn't over-regulate or dry out.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Teuton wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:
He is correct, I do the OCM and it's the Castor oil that is the 'special' ingredient.
The special thing about OCM, for someone who's never done it, is that you don't use any kind of soap at all. None.
Olive oil soap is still soap, and you usually don't get that much olive oil in it anyway, and even if you did, it wouldn't matter for this purpose.
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

notthesharpest wrote:
Teuton wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:Olive oil soap has nothing to do with oil cleaning methods. You may like the soap, but don't start to think that you're doing OCM or even close. Olive oil soap is just soap.
The special thing about OCM, for someone who's never done it, is that you don't use any kind of soap at all. None.
Olive oil soap is still soap, and you usually don't get that much olive oil in it anyway, and even if you did, it wouldn't matter for this purpose.

True, Marseille soap has a lot of Olive oil in it but like you said, it wouldn't matter for this purpose.