Skin preference

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Johnnie
Shave This

Skin preference

Post by Johnnie »

I have never used moisturizer. From what I understand it is important that you use it. I have oily skin so I figured I never needed moisturizer. I heard that if you use moisturizer your skin wont be as oily because you have already given it the neccessary oils that it needs. I have always

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Hopefully somone may be able to help. I normally use regular soap such as ivory, lever 200 on my face either before or after I shave. I have oily skin and I know that these types of soaps do not help. Can anyone recommend several soaps that can help me. What are some of the products that you guys uses after you shave.

Right now I use:

Regular soap to wash my face
Shave soap or cream to shave
After shave such as old spice or avon wild country after shave balm

I guess I am looking for recommendations for oily skin for washing my face and products for after I shave.

Thanks
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Johnnie,

I myself have had a rough time with my skin being extremely oily. The cleanest rinsing soap that i found that works really well with my skin and keeps it balenced is Castle Forbes Moorland soap. It runs about 8 bucks a bar but it has really made a difference on my face.

The Castle Forbes shaving soap is a wonderful thing for my face as well they also make a nice aftershave balm that is fantastic.

That would be my choice because the Castle forbes uses a lot of aloe in their stuff.

I also use taylors stuff. I am using their shaving shop aftershave gel and it seems to be doing a decent job. I am goign to order some Trumpers Skin food. This should help tone and moisturize my skin.

I would avoid ALL aftershaves with alcohol in them. They dry the skin out and cause more oil to be made by the skin to compensate.

Hope this helps...
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Johnnie:

The first thing you have to do is stop it with the Ivory and Lever. Those are low-end body soaps that dry out your face. The Fab Five would slap you silly if they knew you used those. Try a cleanser specifically designed for use on the face. I personally like Lab Series Lift Off Power Wash, which is an effective, fragrance free liquid cleanser. It's a bit spendy, $14 for an 8 oz. bottle. If you want to take it down a notch on cost, you might try Liquid Neutrogena, or even standard Neutrogena bars. I am not typically fond of Neutrogena products, but their basic bar and liquid facial cleansers are pretty good. And, since you have oily skin, you probably won't find the Liquid Neutrogena too drying, as I do. Or you could try Cinique's Face Soap. It is in bar form, but does a good job of cleansing without over drying. It comes in regular and extra strength. At $11 a bar, it might seem expensive, but it is a big bar that lasts a really long time. You might find that, over time, it is one of the most economical options out there that really work.

As for moisturizer, yes, use something. You may not need a heavy, cream-type moisturizer. I do, because my face tends to dry out after shaving, especially in the winter. For you, you might try an oil-free moisturizer or a moisturizing gel. I don't typically use either, so it's hard for me to recommend some. Anthony Logistics puts out an oil-free moisturizer that I believe is pretty good, albeit spendy. I have heard good things about Art of Shaving gel; their after-shave balm is great, but perhaps is too moisturizing for your needs. Of course, anything by Art of Shaving is going to be very expensive, possibly prohibitively so. You might also try Lab Series Razor Burn Relief Ultra. It's a balm that soothes well and has a light moisturizing effect, without being the least bit heavy. Neutrogena also puts out an oil-free moisturizer, which is more affordable than any of the others I have mentioned so far; I'm not so big on it, but my girlfriend swears by it. One other product I can recommend is No. 7 Daily Vie Balancing Aqua Gel by Boots. It might be hard to find, since it's distribution is somewhat limited. However, it is a pretty good, light moisturizer especially designed for oily skin, and it is not too expensive. Click here to see it: http://www.boots.com/brandtreatment/pro ... id=1028312

Stay away from "old-school" aftershaves on your face. As clownjuggles pointed out, they contain alcohol (tons of it), which irritates and dries your face. If you really like how they smell, splash or dab them on other parts of your body, such as your chest, back of the neck, or behind your ears.
rschul2

Post by rschul2 »

Johnnie,
I too have very oily skin and I found that Gelskin Wash from California North does a nice job. Some people have said that it can be overdrying. I have not found it to be the case. As far as a moisturizer, I would recommend Menscience's moisturizer or California North' s Action moisturizer. Both have worked well for me.
Best of luck,
Randy