Crystal Deodorant = Alum Block

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
LawMonkey

Crystal Deodorant = Alum Block

Post by LawMonkey »

I just want a final answer on this. Reading Leisureguy's intro page raised my interest in trying an alum block, but I'd rather not pay shipping on one if I can get one in a easy to use push-up form for less at the local Wild Oats.

So, is it the exact same thing? THe ingredients on the deodorant listed "mineral salts, alum."
--Noah
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Noah,

I'm not convinced they are exactly the same thing, but it has been suggested here it is. I have used the crystal stick as an aftershave treatment and an actual alum block. The alum block seems to tighten my skin a bit more and also stings a bit more if I got a little reckless with my shave.

I got my alum bar at an Indian grocery store for a few bucks. If you have access to one that may save you from online prices.

Good luck and keep us updated.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
yomuppet

Post by yomuppet »

I believe the deodorant stick is ammonium alum, whereas a shaving alum block is potassium alum. I am not certain as to any difference in performance, but if you go with the deodorant stick for shaving I would advise using a separate physical stick for deodorant and shaving purposes :)

J
drumana

Post by drumana »

I recommend doing a search on wikipedia.org for alum - they have a good amount of information there

-Andrew
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

jrgroucho wrote:
I got my alum bar at an Indian grocery store for a few bucks. If you have access to one that may save you from online prices.
this is a good tip, the last time i was in an indian store i saw some shaving alum bars, i think they were like $2 each.
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
Risky

Post by Risky »

Interesting observation. Looking at my Pit Rok:

Ingredients:
Ammonium Alum
(pure natural mineral salts)
James R
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

I was going to post about the different alkali metals found in alum, but thought I might come off as annoying. That is why I said they aren't exactly the same. I am not a minerologist, but I did date one :lol: . I have a very good understanding of chemistry and geology and feel you'll get the same basic effects from both products (also, having tried both). Potassium is usually used as the shaving alum. Remember, the block is a natural item and is subject to the geology from which it came. I also climb and I am familiar with chalk. Climbers chalk is Magnesium carbonate and gymnast's chalk is usually calcium carbonate. I have used both for climbing and see very little difference.

Good luck and keep us updated.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
LawMonkey

Post by LawMonkey »

Believe it or not, I was actually more concerned by the mention of unspecified "mineral salts" on the ingredients. I didn't stop to think that a) alum itself is a 'mineral salt,' and b) they could just be covering their behinds by including the trace impurities that will naturally come with a natural product.

I picked up a small (3.5 oz, I believe) block of the crystal deodorant on the way home from school today. The ingredients actually specified potassium alum, so this presumably is entirely identical to the shaving stuff. I'll be giving it a try tomorrow morning, most likely.
--Noah
DEwey

Post by DEwey »

Noah,
I used a crystal deodorant years ago and it worked pretty well for me. After recently becoming a DE shaver, I also wondered if it was really just an oversized alum block. Interestingly, the crystal deod worked just fine for me for many months, my wife's results were immediately horrendous. It didn't hurt her, but the proof that it was ineffective as a deod on her became evident within an hour of application - not usually a problem with my lady, I assure you! I guess body chemistry can really come into play. Curious to know how it works for you.
DEwey
Straights, Gem 1912, & Grandpa's '66 Gillette Superspeed______________________________
Google Ron Paul
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what will be lunch, LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote,"Benjamin Franklin