Pimple remedies

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Pimple remedies

Post by VinceFX »

The other day I got a really big pimple on my cheek. It was very unsightly :-(

I'm curious to know what kind of pimple treatments you guys use (if any).

As for myself I treated it by washing my face every night, toning, and applying a simple pimple cream called Clean and Clear. It contains salyclic acid or something like that. I got frustrated though because it's taking what seems like forever to completely heal.

Any thoughts?

Vince
:::Vince:::
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

Vince,

Although I have not tried it on pimples, I would try the Proraso Pre/Post cream. I have used it on many "blemishes & bites and it works really well.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Wow...I never thought of or heard of using that Proraso cream in such instances. I think that might be justification enough for me to put in another order with QED very soon!

Thanks again Paul!

Vince
:::Vince:::
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Vince,
I use a homeopathic gel by Nelsons. Works incredible. smells like tea tree oil, but clears them right up w/o drying.
emsplace
Owner of emsplace.com

Post by emsplace »

Hi Vince,

The best thing I have found for pimple erruptions, bug bites, cuts, cold sores and other small skin irritations is lavender, tea tree or a 50/50 blend of lavender and tea tree essential oil (50/50 ratio) is my favorite.

When applying an essential oil for spot application use only a drop. Most all essential oils should be diluted and never used direcly on the skin. However, there are a few exceptions and this would be one. Use only on the spot and only a drop.

In my experience it takes care of problem/s in about a day or two. As a note, some people can have sensitivity to ingredients, even natural ones, so monitor the application in that regard.

PS. I just joined the board and learn a lot from eveyone who posts here and on the other forums. Thanks for sharing your experiences! I hope I can contribute occasionally.
Em
Em's Place, Vendor
rschul2

Post by rschul2 »

Em,
That sounds like an interesting home remedy. Do you carry such an item on your site?
Randy
emsplace
Owner of emsplace.com

Post by emsplace »

Hi Randy, thanks for the interest. There are often sources for essential oils available in local communities or on the internet. If you are interested in a 50/50 lavender/tea tree blend you can visit http://www.emsplace.com/bcprod/blends.asp or for just a single essential oil http://www.emsplace.com/bcprod/eo.asp.

Essential oils are very powerful and generally should be diluted in what is called a carrier product. If you want to use an essential oil or essential oil blend for more broad scale use than the pimple or spot application mentioned, it is suggested that 8 to 15 drops of essential oil be used to one ounce of carrier product.

An essential oil carrier can be any unscented product, oil or water soluble item. Just remember when an essential oil is added to a water soluble base it will need to be shaken before use to mix oil with water. A water base could be distilled water, hydrosol, witch hazel and so forth. For an oil, the botanical ones (for example jojoba, apricot and natural massage blends) are preferred so long as there is no personal sensitivity to a given ingredient. The use of animal (for example lanolin) or petroleum (for example mineral oil) bases are reputed to cause the most sensitivity or pore clogging properties and are therefore not high on the list for an essential oil carrier.

Use any home mixed formula in a short time for maximum freshness and benefit. Also, if you use essential oils become informed about their use, properties and precautions - and test for sensitivity or allergic reaction (Yes, you notice a disclaimer going on here...)

Randy, you may already know this information, but just in case others view this message and find anything mentioned of interest.
Em
Em's Place, Vendor
vespergo

soaps that you use

Post by vespergo »

It can be different for many people, but for me what has helped 100% has been Russian Birch Tar Soap. It's near impossible to find (at least for me), but I have some Russian step-relatives that somewhat introduced me too it.. well I was curious about it after I smelled them take a shower with it.

Other soaps that are similar would be grandpa's pine tar soap and neutrogena unscented. Shower with one of these and use it for your whole body, face included. don't mess with the junk soap that you'll find in most stores because it WILL increase the problem. Avoid overwashing as well because this will definately contribute to the problem.

This is what I do for my daily routine. It's rather simple, but I've had great success and so I thougth I would pass it on. If it works for you as well that will be great because I know how difficult those pesky suckers can be to get rid of.

Okay...
Start your day by taking a shower. Not too hot of water but definately on the warmer side. Wash with the aforementioned soap your whole body except your face and neck. Shampoo. By this time, my beard is soft and ready to be shaved. Lather the soap up in my hands and apply it to my beard. Shave with mirror in shower. Relather the soap and wash forehead and nose (don't over scrub... might be tempting but DON"T do it!!) stick your head under showerhead and let all soap rinse away. let me restate that the water should be warm but not scorching.. this will result in dry skin if you do that.

Gently pat skin(don't rub) on face area dry. Run towel through hair to get
fairly dry.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention.. I don't use moisturizers or anything like that... for me they DO cause problems.. my skin is very picky. I also don't wash my face at night.. this dries me out too much and causes problems.

Besides this simple routine, know what foods are good for your body and which ones cause problems.. I know you've probably heard people say that foods don't cause acne... that's not entirely true. In my case I KNOW there are certain things that if I eat they will cause problems, so I either avoid them entirely or I eat them sparingly.

I'm not a dermatologist, but I do know what has worked for me and hopefully some of this advice will work for you. I hope I didn't forget anything, but if you have questions just let me know.

Josh
growler

Post by growler »

I don't get them often, but when I do lately I've been using something called Fix, from Zihr. Got a bunch of samples from Sephora.

If it's a serious problem you might consider investing in this:

http://www.mariobadescu.com/productDeta ... ductID=151

Pricey, but I've heard it's fantastic.
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

Hi folks,
I use the tweezerman skin care tool for the occassional pimple and blackhead. It speeds up the healing process when used as directed. Check it out here http://tweezerman.com/index.cfm?fuseact ... duct_ID=63
Harrison