Nancy Boy Sweetgrass bath bars

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Nancy Boy Sweetgrass bath bars

Post by drmoss_ca »

I was sent one of these monster sized bars as a freebie with several tubs of cream I had ordered and recently got around to unwrapping it. It is lovely soap - it smells predominantly of lemon, and has that same creamy note to it that the AOS shaving soaps have, making the whole thing a lot like AOS Lemon soap. It makes an awful lot of thick lather very easily (I even tried shaving with it - but the lather thins out quickly when sitting on your face).
Knowing that shampoos are essentially the same as dishwashing detergent with somewhat different scents added, I have always favoured using soap for washing my hair. I know, it sounds odd, but works very well indeed if you get the right soap. Too drying leaves the hair squeaky as you rinse, and then the scalp compensates with extra oil production, but the opposite is no better as the hair doesn't get properly clean. This stuff is just right for my head.
Needless to say, I have 20 bars on the way.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Chris you only ordered 20? I would have ordered 40. :lol:
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris, will you do us the favor of comparing this soap with other bath soaps you have used? Now that Floris Rose Geranium never goes on sale, and that Claus Porto is vegetable based, I am in a search mode again. The Claus Porto bar I have, while it lathers profusely, has a lack of the creaminess that the Floris soap had. It is, therefore, almost exactly like the Pre de Provence soaps I have used. Yet the PdP soaps are available locally, are smaller and easier to grip, and better priced. I had tried some Taylors hand soaps and they did not excite me either. I do have the ability to get Asquith and Somerset at TJ Maxx, though sometimes the scents are not all that desireable.

Your observation on using bar soap as shampoo is spot on, and for baby-fine hair, even more reason why you have to be careful.

Sam
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Good quality soap but I find the lemongrass scent begins to bother me after a while and I struggle to finish it. I prefer their signature scent.
Richard
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

Interesting. How does one go about even getting adequate lather from a bar soap and applying it as a shampoo? Seems like it would be a lot of work.
jlmwrite

Post by jlmwrite »

The sweetgrass is a wonderful scent, but I find the NB signature scent to be more intriguing and with all the same creamy lather. It also does a much better job of waking me when I've got rounds at 5am.

Just don't drop one of these enormous bars on your toes!
"What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? H** no!" -- Animal House, 1978
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Baloosh wrote:Interesting. How does one go about even getting adequate lather from a bar soap and applying it as a shampoo? Seems like it would be a lot of work.
Rub the bar of soap a few times on your wet hair. Simple as can be.
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

My two favorites are Sweetgrass and Tea Rose. A bar of it lasts for quite some time, too long sometimes, and I need to swap out scents.

P.S. When did Nancy Boy start shipping across the border again?

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
AZwildcat

Post by AZwildcat »

I love the Nancy Boy Signature Scent bath bar. I am currently using a Santa Maria Novella bar which I also like, but I don't think it competes in terms of value to the Nancy Boy soap. The NB soap lasts much longer than any other bar soap I have ever used. I'll agree with Dr. Moss that is has one of the creamiest lathers of any soap. I am debating whether to even try some Issy's Olive Oil soap b/c I don't know if it will be as moisturizing. Anyways, great soap that is highly recommended.
Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

jrgroucho wrote: P.S. When did Nancy Boy start shipping across the border again?

--
Jeremy
They don't. It took some special pleading with Eric to get this shipment.

Sam, My non-shaving soaps have boiled down to these: Floris for the face prior to shaving (Rose Geranium being the nicest, but all work equally well), Nancy Boy for washing hair (save one time per week where I use Selsun 2.5% shampoo to keep any tendency to dandruff away), and for the rest of me I use either Dalan Turkish olive oil soap or some of my hoard of Williams Mug Soap, which is a serviceable body soap.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drumana

Post by drumana »

I find the Williams Mug to be a little too drying for a bath soap. Which is a shame because of the price and I love the scent.
-Andrew-