Barber or Stylist

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
~dan~

Post by ~dan~ »

Money is the answer...

My Uncle was a barber, (his father was also a barber), in the 50s, he packed it in and opened up a women's hair dressers. By all accounts, he was damn good at it and well regarded. There was far more money in it.

These days, in England at least, it seems to be that hair-dressers are opening barber's shops. In my opinion, very few are up to scratch.

The barbers shop I now use has been open 45 years, since they built this town. They are good, but despite having the gear as decoration, they don't do shaves... in fact, I don't recall ever seeing a high-street barbers that does.
DNA - National Dyslexic Association
Dyslexics of the world untie!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Honk, good to see you.
Regards,
Squire
Magnulus

Post by Magnulus »

I don't even bother going to a barber to get my haircut. I cut it myself, and occasionally have my mom do some touch ups on it (she's a former cosmetologist). Where I live now in Florida, the barbers never give a decent haircut the way I want it- it's always too long. I like wearing an extremely high-and-tight haircut, very short. It is good if you wear a helmet alot, like me (motorcycles) and you are tired of helmet hair and the heat of summer.
okie

Post by okie »

I went to my favorite barbershop yesterday. While I was looking for a parking space I saw a women in the window. I thought it was a mother helping her son into the chair. WRONG she is the new barber. This shop has been open for 71 years and over the years they have had a couple of women barbers. She looked like she was giving good hair cuts and she used a razor on the neck and ears. She will not cut my hair and I hope they replace her soon.
shave well look good
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

The barber who cuts my hair at the shop is a woman, and I hope she is there for years. There are two men who work there, as well, and both have great reputations, but I can't argue with Linda's work. The shop is relatively inexpensive, but the cut is great. I also get a shoulder rub, hot lather neck shave (naturally), eyebrow trim, and generally fantastic treatment.
I have gone to stylists a couple of times, kept myself in buzzcuts, and visited the SuperProSportClipCut shops. Never had anything as satisfying as the cut I get from my barber.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
disposable

Post by disposable »

When I was a kid and growing up in England, i used to frequent a great old fashoined Barbershop, they would do the busines (shaves and all). They had a female barber too, the Hairdresser/stylists were in the adjoining store over the way. They would ask all the young men if they wanted "something for the weekend"..it was an amazing place.

It was called Tony's and it was amazing. I get my wfie to use the clippers on my hair. I'm starting to wash more and more of my forehead so i just keep it short.

If i find a good Barber i'll treat myself to a old fashoined haircut and shave..i've always wanted one..

Whats high and tight mean?
--Mat
okie

Post by okie »

the haircut Marines get in Boot Camp
shave well look good
english_barber
Robert from the Gentleman's Shop

Post by english_barber »

Hi Dan,

You have almost hit the nail on the head here!

The new holy grail is now recognised as "male grooming" and all hairdressing salons are trying to attract male customers. Apparently 72% men have their hair cut proffessionaly, of which 62% visit a Barber. I know that "Barber Spas" are the next big thing here in the UK, but will only work if staffed by Barbers.

I celebrated 25 years as a Barber this week and work with four other Barbers, we have nearly 120 years experience between us.

All the best, Robert
Charlotte & Robert Johnston
www.gentlemans-shop.com
admeasel

Post by admeasel »

The big difference between a barber and a hair stylist is their training. Stylists do just that... a little bit of cutting, but mostly dying and styling. Barbers have all their training in cutting hair. The best bet is to get a barber that has both certificates. That way they can cut your hair any way you want; but if you prefer longer hair, they can also give it style! My previous boss (female) was a barber on the side and she was telling me all about her training.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

rustyblade wrote:My wife is going to cut my hair for the first time this weekend. I can't imagine it's all that hard, I already have a nice Oster Fast Feed trimmer with all the clip on whatchamacallits. Scissors....comb...

I may even train her to use a straight to clean up my neck.

I'm not kidding.
Since this thread was brought up again, I'll update. I've trained up my wife and she is getting really good at cutting my hair. I have a very simple 'do' and most of it is done with the Oster clippers and the spacing attachments. She cleans up where necessary with scissors and shaves my neck with a DE and Erasmic shave cream. So far my savings from going to the barber have paid for the equipment, the next 1000 haircuts are free... 8) This agrees well with my new found frugality.
Richard
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't care who cuts my hair or what her certificate calls her just so long as she is young and cute.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well, cute anyway.
Regards,
Squire
admeasel

Post by admeasel »

Squire wrote:I don't care who cuts my hair or what her certificate calls her just so long as she is young and cute.
Squire wrote:Well, cute anyway.
:shock: :oops: :lol:
Wyatt Earp

Post by Wyatt Earp »

Evening gents.

Please add me to the barber side. I have ever yet to find a stylist that can cut my hair how I like it. I am not good at explaining what I want and the results with every stylist and many barbers have been disappointing.

About a year ago I found a traditional barber in the town where I work (about 30 mins from home). He is the kind of barber who can size you up and with minor explanations just understand what you want to look like.

Ten years in the naval service got me used to a certain look. Clean cut but not high and tight.
Jose

For those who obey man's law we have the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. For those who obey God's law, we have the Holy Bible. And for those who obey neither, that is why we carry our Smith & Wessons.
Boyextraordinare

Post by Boyextraordinare »

Depends entirely on your needs.

Simple cut: barber or use a clipper set, with the assistance of a friend/girlfriend/whatever.

I want a traditional barber str8 shave but I don't know where to get one except in a really trashy, dirty town nearby.

Use good blades, though: Derbys in plastic shavettes.

Nasty environment, though.

By contrast an upscale salon around here charges 30 for a str8 but the guy who does it is very....off.

...But back to the topic at hand, go to a semi-junky, new salon - they're usually in malls or next to tanning salons. That's where the girls who skip college and go to beauty school end up. Low 20s, hot, sufficiently capable.

I have curly hair, so cutting it is forgiving. No need for a girl who "understands" my hair. Plus I slick it back. Just need a little trim & shape up. So I tend to go thru these places like kleenex. Very rewarding bonds can be established.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I just tried a new (to me) barbershop in Redondo Beach and was quickly reminded what the difference is between a good haircut and a bad haircut...two weeks.

Does anyone know of a good barbershop in the South Bay area of Los Angeles?
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I finally found someone who can cut my hair the way I like it, but she's up in Berkeley. She seemed to be the favored cutter of many UC Asian-American students, all of whom were in line ahead of me (short, spikey, and lubed is quite a popular style, it appears) -- then whitebread me shows up, definitely not a spike candidate, and she cuts my hair perfectly. Young Vietnamese girl who really knows her scissors. I've not found her equal down here in the Southern climes.
Ron
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

Flowbee. Before that usually a stylist because they were cheaper then the nearby barbershop.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
cvc

Post by cvc »

To the dude in Redondo beach.

Here's a very cool Barber shop that doesn't even allow women to step inside. I actually saw them ask a woman to step outside because "this is a men only establishment." I also saw them politely kick out a guy for wearing those very small athletic socks. They have certain rules that must be followed. No women allowed, no fannie packs, no little socks and others that I can't remember. They serve you a beer while you wait and guarantee to spend 30 minutes on your cut. You need to make an appointment because they get busy. http://www.hawleywoods.com/ourshops.cfm

Sit back and listen to the cool tunes from the 40's and 50's and feel free to act like a man because there are no women to offend..lol..The owner created a great pomade called "Layrite" that I use daily. Works like a regular pomade but washes out like a gel. The site shows pics of pompadours but you can get a regular cut as well. 3 locations. Costa mesa, Long Beach and Huntington Beach.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

CVC
How much do they charge for a haircut? Are they good?I've lost count of retro hamburger joints with juke boxes, cherry cokes and hamburgers that think hearing Elvis is worth $25.
There's a guy in L.A., Matt Deckard selling men's suits out of a Film Noir movie and singlehandedly pushing EBAY prices for Kum A Part cufflinks
up.
There is definitely a backlash against the whole emasculation of casual 24/7 Fridays, political correctness and where smoking tobacco is banned while medical marijuana dispensaries are popping up like magic mushrooms. www.artofmanliness.com is doing well and the latest fad locally here are 60s family sedans among the high school kids bored with black beemers.
Tough economic times always evoke 'the good old days' even when they weren't. Trading a stylist named bAmBi ( star over i) for somebody who's reinterpreting my youth like a civil war reenactor 40 lbs overwieght wont fly if I'm buying merely an E ticket to Disneyland. Oh, that's right, they dropped those.