After-shave balm vs. moisturizer

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Maynard

After-shave balm vs. moisturizer

Post by Maynard »

Is there any real difference between an after-shave balm and a moisturizer? For years I used Aveeno moisturizing lotion (fragrance free) after (dry) shaving. Now that I've switched to wet shaving I'm wondering if I should switch to an after-shave balm or stick with the moisturizer (which I do like and works well on my skin). Do after-shave balms do something that regular moisturizers don't?
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Maynard, some gentlemen actually use both. For me and my skin type, I only require balm. The difference between balm and most moisturizers in the antiseptic properties in AS balm. Good luck.
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Maynard,
As Austin pointed out after shaves (whether they be liquid, balm, or lotion based) contain antispetic properties whereas a moisturizer does not. The antiseptic properties help to eliminate infections within the small nicks, cuts, and scrapes the razor causes while shaving. If you've found no need for one up to this point I do not see how you would need one now.
Now, after stating that I cannot see how an after shave would not help or be beneficial to you. You can purchase a lotion based after shave if your skin needs the extra moisture.
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Maynard,

Most balms have some alcohol (which may or may not irritate one's face) and most do not moisturize. The balms I use do not have alocohol and they moisturize. The Castle Forbes balms and Floris Santal.

I don't use balms after shaving; I just spray on some hydrosol. I use the balms at night after the shower if I need moisturizing (a look in the mirror tells you right away).

Cheers,
Richard
TX
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

Thanks--didn't know about the anti-septic properties. So I guess what would work best for me (I have rather dry skin) would be a balm that also moisturizes. I'd prefer a fragrance-free balm, however--I got a sample of the Castle Forbes lavender balm and the fragrance is just far too strong. Any suggestions for fragrance-free moisturizing balms, if any such thing exists?? Or maybe just a regular fragrance-free balm (which I could follow with my moisturizer)?
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Try the Baxter balm. Light scent that fades away.
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

AOS (Art of Shaving) makes a nice, unscented a/s balm. Best, John.
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Baxter is nice...I personally found the AOS balm very heavy & greasy and did nothing to soothe...Try either one of the Peter Thomas Roth A/S Balms...I'm using the Multi-Lite one right now and am loving it...It's a light balm that hydrates well, but dries super matte...The best description of how my face feels is 'normal', it feels soothed, hydrated & calm without feeling like I've applied any type of balm...No grease or shine at all...They also have a thicker balm for dryer skin types...
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Esoteric, where did you buy it?
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

skinstore.com via amazon.com...Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... y&v=glance
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I'll try Baxter or Peter Thomas Roth, and try to get a sample of the AOS balm in the meantime (about four times as expensive as Baxter, so it better be good...).
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Maynard,
As you just starting out on this ever-spiralling journey (up... or... down, dependes on your frame of reference :wink: ) don't completely disregard some of the "everyday, drug store, wal-mart type products".

Some of them are quite adequate and very affordable.
With sensitive skin, though, and these products, try to get an unscented one or two to start with.

Then, after a bit, move on one at a time, to some higher end stuff.... Check the selling and trading forum often as there is usually something there... at a discount!

And don't use a lot of different peoducts at the same time .... "K.I.S.S." rule applies.

- Gramps.... enjoy the ride "blade brother"....Image
~~ Larry ~~
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

Thanks Larry. I can see how this wetshaving thing can easily get out of hand--especially after looking at some of the pictures of DrP's brush collection!! :shock:
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

Maynard, I have dry skin and I use the Nivea sensitive aftershave balm. Moisturizes well without being too greasy and has soothing ingredients (chamomille, calendula).
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

Thanks rafikz. I ordered some Baxter, but I'll put the Nivea on my list of things to try if Baxter doesn't work out.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Defining a balm is tricky, as they vary considerably from product to product. Sometimes the dividing line between a balm a moisturizer is slim. Some balms are light, some are quite heavy. Some have alcohol, others are alcohol free. Most balms have a selling point of soothing shaving irritation, but in many cases, a moisturizer can soothe just as well. And yes, some balms do have antiseptic properties, whereas most moisturizers do not. AOS balm has antiseptic properties, and it could almost be a moisturizer, as it is rather heavy. However, unlike truly heavy moisturizes, it eventually absorbs to a relatively light finish - just compare it to the likes of Clinique or Kiehl's moisturizers, and you will see AOS is not as heavy as some. I find it is a good balm for cold or dry weather. Indeed, the weather got cold and windy here in Minneapolis the other day, and as I only had Trumper Skin Food on, I got rather wind-chapped; I needed something heavier. However, AOS balm is not so good during humid months, or in a generally warm climate. The AOS aftershave gel is a great, lighter-weight alternative for those times and locales. Also, AOS is one of the few truly unscented aftershave options available, in either the balm or the gel. They are not the only game in town, but they are quite good in their own right - albeit spendy, and not to everybody's taste. Samples are always a good idea.

Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the AOS rosewater hydrosol is absolutely splendid - at once fresh and rich. Unlike some rose hydrosols, which blend rose essential oil with a water base, AOS uses pure distilled rosewater, and nothing else. If you have a store nearby that sells AOS products, make sure you spritz a little of the hydrosol on to see what you think. Like all AOS products, this one ain't cheap, but it's one of the few they offer (along with the balm and gel) that is among rare company at the head of its class.
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

I tried a sample of T&H classic unscented after-shave balm and it really didn't do it for me. For one thing, they have some nerve calling it "unscented." I guess they mean that they don't add any scent to it, but it has a rather strong smell that I could smell on my face all morning, and I thought it was quite unpleasant. On top of that, it made my skin burn.

Got a sample of the AOS balm in the mail five minutes ago, so I'll try that one next...
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Maynard, I share your sentiments on the "Unscented" T&H balm. I do believe they add a fragrance to it. I don't know how else it could smell that way. Some people have referred to it as a light scent that fades quickly, but I have not found that to be the case. It lingers a long time on me, and that has put me off it. I guess T&H mean "unscented" the way some deodorant makers do, namely that they put a masking scent in there. Or maybe they just mean it does not have a proprietary scent, like their balms named after their colognes. I'm not really sure, but I agree with you that it is far from being truly unscented.

Give the AOS unscented a shot. That is truly fragrance free, although there is a slight product smell, but not one that in any way dominates or is unpleasant, in my opinion. I'll be interested to hear how you like it.
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

I tried the AOS after-shave balm today. It definitely comes a lot closer to being fragrance-free--there is a faint smell, but you can't really smell it once you put it on, and all I could smell on my face five minutes after putting it on was the Taylor Shaving Shop cream I'd used to shave (I don't wear colognes). It didn't quite get absorbed as well as I would have liked, though, which is unusual b/c I have dry skin that usually "sucks up" anything you put on it. So the finish was close to matte but not entirely there. My skin felt good--no irritation or burning.

It seems like a good-quality product overall, but a little short of what I would like, and at $38 for 4 oz., I'm not about to rush out the door to buy it.

By the way, I tried their moisturizer a couple of days ago, and I liked it a lot. Nice "orange and clean" scent. Looked heavy and buttery when I put it on, but was absorbed quickly and very well, leaving my skin smooth and refreshed. Very nice. Their entire line of products, however, seems a bit overpriced to me.
djr7572

Post by djr7572 »

I agree. AOS is overpriced. I happen to like their shaving cream but I'm not about to fork over $38 for that A/S Balm ... that's ridiculous.

They do seem to use top-notch ingredients in MOST of their products (and I'm saying "most" because of a previous discussion regarding their pre-shave oil).

I like essential oils and good quality ingredients but their stuff is just way overpriced.

- Dave