How much toner?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
PolieCat

How much toner?

Post by PolieCat »

I did a search on past posts on toners. Seems like people shave, rinse their face, use a toner, then apply an aftershave or balm.

I didn't even know men should use toners, so forgive my ignorance but I have some really basic questions. The posts I read advocated using toner as a "splash." What does that mean? Do I put just a tiny bit in my hands and pat my face with it, or do I pour some into cupped hands as if I were rinsing my face with water? If it's the latter approach, do you go through toner like crazy?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

PC, to answer your question 'splash' means to shake some out into your hand and then splash it on your face. Any variation of how you apply it is fine. Frankly, I never use the stuff.
Regards,
Squire
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello PolieCat,

I use toner everyday after shaving. I find it works better for me if I pour it into an atomizer. The kind you can get at the Container Store. Nothing fancy.

Just three or so spritzes to cover entire face and neck. Done. No fuss. No mess. No waste.

Cheers,

Richard in Plano TX
"Keep Your Backcast High and Out of the Trees!"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

How much toner? None is usually a good amount. Don't waste your money. The meaningful search is for an appropriate and pleasing aftershave preparation that works for you. Find that, and added 'toners' are superfluous at best.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Assuming you have a toner already, try just a little at first. Start with wet skin - that helps some products to spread better so you aren't forced to waste a lot just getting it to go on.

In principle I agree that you shouldn't need two products, but one way that I can see two products making sense is if one works and doesn't smell like much, and the other doesn't do much but smells great.

I use nothing at all.
PolieCat

Post by PolieCat »

Thanks everybody. Actually, I don't use a toner and didn't know men use it until I read some SMF posts. Those posts seem to like Thayers toners before applying aftershave or an aftershave balm. It is good to know that using an atomizer is the way to go if I bother getting some Thayers.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

PolieCat wrote:Thanks everybody. Actually, I don't use a toner and didn't know men use it until I read some SMF posts. Those posts seem to like Thayers toners before applying aftershave or an aftershave balm. It is good to know that using an atomizer is the way to go if I bother getting some Thayers.
Not the only way - many people just put a little into their hand and rub it on.

Don't buy or use any after-shaving product unless you have a problem that it is supposed to solve. (Assuming that "I don't smell good" counts as a problem.) :D

If there's nothing wrong with your face that makes you need toner, then forget it.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

PC, Using a liquid aftersahve ( or a toner, if you insist ) I would NEVER use an atomizer ( personally I avoid them even for colognes ). These products are meant to be splashed into one's palm and applied with your hands.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

And I prefer sprays for cologne but use a splash aftershave, traditional, alcohol based, and don't use toner. I've been sent some as gifts by merchants but I gave them away unopened.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Squire wrote:And I prefer sprays for cologne but use a splash aftershave, traditional, alcohol based, and don't use toner. I've been sent some as gifts by merchants but I gave them away unopened.
Other than being given gifts by merchants, this is how I do it. However, with the Boosters, for some reason, I have taken to using a cotton ball and applying it like I did with the Thayers Witch Hazel. I have no problems with the alcohol, and after the 1st week, did not even notice it. However, the Iced Limes and Polar Ice both smell much better than the Thayers scents, and for just a couple dollars more in shipping, easily a better product for me. However, were I to get something like the Musgo aftershave, Id probably splash that on.
PolieCat

Post by PolieCat »

That's an interesting point about not bothering with products unless you've have a problem that needs to be solved. Product descriptions I've seen about the need to toner are on the vague side "prepares the face for moisturizer". Maybe it's marketing hype! For now, I think I'll stick to rinsing my face after shaving and then applying a nice balm.
PolieCat

Post by PolieCat »

Forgot to say thank you for saving me some money with the whole toner thing. Of course, I might divert the savings to buying different shaving creams. :wink:
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

PolieCat wrote:Forgot to say thank you for saving me some money with the whole toner thing. Of course, I might divert the savings to buying different shaving creams. :wink:
:D That's the spirit! :wink:
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

A more productive use of your shekels to be sure ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
King-D

Post by King-D »

I find a cold water splash to be an excellent "toner".
David

Shave in the shower!