Should you ever pop whiteheads?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
tone

Post by tone »

Just a thought really, I've had a small-medium one for a few days, it is not shaving related. I keep it clean obviously but it just isn't disappearing.

Should I go for it? :) And what about after care.

Thanks guys for the weird question :)

Tone
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

yes, just enough to clear the blockage, but do not squeeze too hard or you risk pushing the puss deeper into the pore

tone you ever thought about using a mudd face mask there brilliant for people with acne prone skin, they really clear the skin and leave your face looking freasher

now why do i get the feeling you lot are now going to start taking the pi$$ :oops:
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Should you do it? Dr. Moss could probably answer that better than anyone...25 years ago, my dermatologist said no, because that leaves scarring...

That said, I apply a hot face cloth until the head comes off, then apply astringent until my eyes water. That usually takes care of them for me...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
tone

Post by tone »

well in terms of scarring I think I have popped every single one I have ever had and have no scars whatsoever.

Just thought it was about time I got a proper opinion on the practise.

Thanks for the replies so far

Tone
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Pustules should not be squeezed, but blackheads and whiteheads may be, provided you don't mash up the skin in doing it.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My wife would respond with an emphatic "Yes!"
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Since I was a teenager I squeezed the living daylights out of the little buggers. Sometimes when I'd have one that was a little deep beneath the skin I'd take a pin, sterilize it with alcohol, and lance the pimple until I struck puss. Then I'd squeeze the daylights out of it until nothing more came out. A little Oxy 10 and it was cleared up in 48 hours (almost completely gone, really). Never a scar yet. I don't recommend this of course, I'm just offering a point of view.

Chris
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

EL Alamein wrote:Since I was a teenager I squeezed the living daylights out of the little buggers. Sometimes when I'd have one that was a little deep beneath the skin I'd take a pin, sterilize it with alcohol, and lance the pimple until I struck puss. Then I'd squeeze the daylights out of it until nothing more came out. A little Oxy 10 and it was cleared up in 48 hours (almost completely gone, really). Never a scar yet. I don't recommend this of course, I'm just offering a point of view.

Chris
Or you could slice the top off 'em with a DE or straight razor, rub it with an alum block, and apply some My Nik is Sealed.

On second thought, perhaps not. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Bob

Post by Bob »

Only if they are your own.
--Bob--
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

jww wrote:
EL Alamein wrote:Since I was a teenager I squeezed the living daylights out of the little buggers. Sometimes when I'd have one that was a little deep beneath the skin I'd take a pin, sterilize it with alcohol, and lance the pimple until I struck puss. Then I'd squeeze the daylights out of it until nothing more came out. A little Oxy 10 and it was cleared up in 48 hours (almost completely gone, really). Never a scar yet. I don't recommend this of course, I'm just offering a point of view.

Chris
Or you could slice the top off 'em with a DE or straight razor, rub it with an alum block, and apply some My Nik is Sealed.

On second thought, perhaps not. :D
It's happened. I've gotten tiny whiteheads that the straight sliced right off. Many times they were sealed by the time I rinsed so no need for alum but I did use it for when they weren't sealed. It's rare I get a pimple but it happens.

Chris