What soap to buy next???

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
prisondoc

What soap to buy next???

Post by prisondoc »

I bought a bar of soap from L'Occitane a couple of weeks ago. I like it's moisturizing properties (20% Shea Butter), but I'm not too wild about the milk scent my wife and I decided on. I'd like to try another high end soap. Suggestions?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i saw the name containing PRISON and then the word SOAP in the title and i thought, oh no, not one of those jokes. but it was a serious post, lol

soaps, try a trumper or a truefit. i hear that truefit may be a better lather than trumper and a little cheaper at ashford.com. i love my floris shave soap and to me, that is the best i have used.

sam
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello,

You might want to try the Asquithe & Somerset bath bars. These are long lasting 12 ounce bars, available for $3-$4 at TJMaxx and Marshall's. Lots of scents. Last forever. Just don't drop one on your foot :).

The other line of hard soaps I use are Caswell-Massey. Excellent soaps, long lasting, hold scent till the very end. You can get a 12 bar assortment for about $80 minus any discounts. At Christmas time, they usually discount the set to $60.

Scottish Fine Soaps are also excellent from what I hear and read. Same size as the Asquithe & Somerset, but 3 times as expensive.

Bonsavon at www.bonsavon.com has a huge selection of soaps from all over the world.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Soaps I enjoy are South of France, Floris and Pre de Provence. Some are available at Whole Foods.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

oh, bar soaps. i kinda like molton brown's oatmeal and milk for my face.

i love caswell massey's #6, thanks to gordon. great scent, great lather, great effect on the skin

claus porto makes a nice bar

bon savon is a great website. yes indeed

i also like floris rose geranium, but it took a day to get used to the smell. this one is really fragrant. my wife sets one out in the guest bathroom. smells a long time

sam
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

tngentleman1 wrote:i saw the name containing PRISON and then the word SOAP in the title and i thought, oh no, not one of those jokes. but it was a serious post, lol
sam
Sam,
You owe me a Mt. Dew.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

hugo, you are on, but make mine a diet mt. dew, if such an animal exists.

also, scottish fine soaps and asquith and somerset can be found reasonably well stocked and priced at most marshalls, and maybe a tj maxx or two. floris has a very creamy lather and thusly, i feel it may moisturize more.

sam
prisondoc

Post by prisondoc »

Sam,

I've worked inside the prison system for the last 13 years.............I could tell you some stories :!: . Thanks for the advice gents.

Alex
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Alex,

Just so we are all clear on this...at the end of the day, do you leave the building and go home, or are you already home??? :shock:

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

rtaylor61 wrote:Alex,

Just so we are all clear on this...at the end of the day, do you leave the building and go home, or are you already home??? :shock:

Randy
:lol: Alex,
You don't have to answer this if it makes you uncomfortable (or exposes your current situation).
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

tngentleman1 wrote:i saw the name containing PRISON and then the word SOAP in the title and i thought, oh no, not one of those jokes. but it was a serious post, lol
sam
I fit's PRISON soap.........I wouldn't drop it. :o
prisondoc

Post by prisondoc »

Randy,

I leave the building at the end of the day. I'm an employee not a resident :D .

Alex
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I leave the building at the end of the day. I'm an employee not a resident...
Alex,

Glad to hear it. In fact, we are ALL glad to hear it.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Doc: Right now I'm using Siena from Crabtree Evelyn. Nice soap and, please, hold on tight. Best, John.
javyn

Post by javyn »

I've been a Lever 2000 person but the last few months I've noticed the bar is considerably smaller and disintegrates much faster. I'm thinking about trying some Irish Spring next time around.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Doc, since you are already trying out L'Occitane, you might give their honey soap a try. It comes in three grades (I don't know the names, but visually, one is a light cream, one a medium yellow, and one a dark brown); the light cream and medium yellow smell absolutely intoxicating, and are fitting for both men and women. Caswell-Massey makes great soaps, but my experience is limited to their lime soap - very nice indeed; not so much a true lime as generally fresh and appealing, one of my favorites. Magno - the original, black mineral soap - is nice, but perhaps a bit masculine smelling, if your wife is going to use it as well. Crabtree and Evelyn make very nice soaps, as well. Like L'Occitane, you should be able to find a C&E in your mall and smell the soaps firsthand. Check out the Goat's Milk soap, as well as the Jojoba Oil soap. The former is a very traditional smelling soap, very pleasing and comforting. The latter is more lime based, very invigorating. Dr. Bronner's lavender Magic Soap is a pretty good choice as well - perhaps not in quite the same league as the others, but still respectable. A castile soap scented only with lavender essential oil, it is affordable (relative to the others I've mentioned) and universally useable - a true go-to, all purpose soap. I have some Harris lavender soap in the mail, and will be able to comment on it soon. Oh, and I would be remiss if I neglected to mention Vinolia - the soap used on the Titanic, and one of Gordon's favorites. It can be ordered through Caswell-Massey, as can Magno.
carlo

Finally found a razor bump Solution!

Post by carlo »

A friend of mine told me about this product and it actually works suprisingly well which is why I am sharing it with the rest of the universe.

I used to use Tend Skin but this is definitely a better product. www.minsolution2.com is where I get it from!
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Re: Finally found a razor bump Solution!

Post by Austin »

carlo wrote:A friend of mine told me about this product and it actually works suprisingly well which is why I am sharing it with the rest of the universe.

I used to use Tend Skin but this is definitely a better product. www.minsolution2.com is where I get it from!
I understand that this product has been reformulated. How does it compare to the old version?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah well, how much are you comfortable spending? And how hard are you willing to look? Floris of London makes some of the finest soaps available, IMO. I'm especially nuts about their old fashioned classic, Rose Geranium ( hey, if it was good enough for Winston Churchill, it's good enough for me ). Lovely, luxurious stuff, but pricey. And the Rose Geranium can usually be gotten only from Floris directly, either in their shops ( London & NYC ) or by mail order. Another pricey favourite is Penhaligons English Fern. But, there is no need to spend this kind of money in order to get really top shelf soaps. Most of the time, I use the Vinolia, which Nathan mentioned above. Beautifully made, classic, largely unchanged since the late Victorian Era. Until recently, it was a great bargain, at C-M, at $5 for a big bath cake. They recently jacked up the price to $8, which highly annoyed me, but I still buy it ( just bought another cake two days ago ). If you can handle a little lanolin, Bronnley makes superb quality soaps. They don't hold three Royal Warrants, as soapmakers, by accident. I love their English Fern soap, which is once again available in the States. Claus Porto also makes top shelf soaps. Before Vinolia became more reasonably available, I used to use their Almond soap most of the time. They have quite a number of interesting scents, and are not that difficult to find. Real English Yardley Lavender and Morny Lavender or French Fern are very good also, but very hard to get in the US. These are some of my personal favourites, but their are MANY other quality soaps available, once one really begins to look. They are well worth the search, I think.
Regards,
Gordon
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

Do a Google search for Vermont Country Store. They still have Vinolia for 3 bars for $14.95.
Rick