Look at this beauty

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Bastida
Our friend from Spain

Look at this beauty

Post by Bastida »

Howdy gentlemen, so (some of) you are (moderately) interested in a few of those Spanish luxury soaps... well, you can forget about Magno, La Toja, Maja or Heno de Pravia. Just have a look at this:

In addition to the wonderful presentation, this thing lathers wonderfully and has a really really good Spanish Leather fragrance.

The tin contains two 3.3 oz. cakes.

There are also other fragrances (clover, violet and jasmine) that I haven't tried yet. And I just found a site that sells them in the U.S. Here.

Regards,
Bastida.
Last edited by Bastida on Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virtus Omnia Vincit
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

The violet soap is interesting. I'm thinking of the possibilities of combining it with Trumper's cream and cologne.
Rick
Bastida
Our friend from Spain

Post by Bastida »

Rick, you can also try that with the excellent (Italian) Franco Zarri Violetta soap. Zarri is among the very best hand soaps I've tried.

Regards,
Bastida.
Virtus Omnia Vincit
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Thanks for the tip, Senor B. I'm going to try some. Best, John.
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

How well does it moisturize? How does your skin feel after using it?
Bastida
Our friend from Spain

Post by Bastida »

Hello Chris, it's a very gentle soap. Profuse, rich, non-drying deliciously-smelling lather.

It's not up there with the Floris, Taylor or DR Harris soaps (the best in my rank), but it's not far behind.

Regards,
Bastida.
Virtus Omnia Vincit
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Is this a soap you'd use on your face, or just body?
Bastida
Our friend from Spain

Post by Bastida »

I use all my soaps, save the Scottish Fine Soaps ones, for hands and face without any problem.

Regards,
Bastida.
Virtus Omnia Vincit
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Bastida,
I should ahve mentioned I have sensitive skin and most bar soaps do not work well on my face. The only two I have found that do are: Baxter's Vitamin Bars and Dr. Bronner's Lavender.
The soap I would be interested in is the Violet.

Post by Chris73 »

Hello Bastida. Sounds very nice....So is this the "top of the food chain" so to speak amongst the Spanish soaps? Very nice presentation. Cheers
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Bastida, can you use a soap like this for shaving? Will a brush lather it up?
Or is it strictly for showering?

Jeff
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bastida, This stuff drives me nuts! I've seen these soaps, occasionally, in discount stores here, and also in regular stores sometimes, but NEVER the Spanish Leather version! Always the other three. It's like Morny. They always have the Lavender, or Rose, and/or Sandalwood, but NEVER the French Fern. These local stores get me crazy! BTW, how would you compare the scent of the GAL Spanish Leather soap, to, say, the Trumpers version?
Regards,
Gordon
Bastida
Our friend from Spain

Post by Bastida »

Hello Gordon, I'm really bad at describing fragrances. I've got a sample of Trumpers Spanish Leather and to me it has a kind of sweet accent that I cannot find in the Gal soap. That's the main difference I can tell. I know it's not helpful, you'll have to try it :) Sorry.

Regards,
Bastida.
Virtus Omnia Vincit
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bastida, Thank you, ( sigh ) I suppose you're right. One more thing to try and hunt down. An endless endeavor ( just ask Chris F. )
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

gordon, if it is to be found, chris fisher will find it. i am amazed at the amount of high end products he has tried and the ability to analyze and contrast them and to know what distinquishes them. i respect and admire that ability in many of you, yourself included

sam
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

Just as a point of curiosity, can you use these soaps for shaving and body washing?
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Gordon et al:

There are a few Perfumeria Gal soaps (Spanish Leather and Violet) on sale for $12.00 at http://www.scentier.com. Also, Gordon, the Morny English Fern soaps can be found at http://www.auravita.com.

Chris
bebosky

Post by bebosky »

Doc,

that is hard decision to make but only a lucky man gets to make that choice! Cheers and Enjoy!

Bastida,
Beautiful picture.

I havent gotten into soaps yet. If I wanted to try a good bar for a long bath what would you suggest?

Steven
Steven Hamric
hamrics@usa.redcross.org

KEEP IT WET!