Soap VS Body Wash.

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Boyextraordinare

Post by Boyextraordinare »

But when you say your skin has profited from switching to good soap, does that mean the soap is less drying in and of itself or it leaves moisturizing residue - say Shea Butter.

The reason I'm interested in Dove is it is soap but has a detergent in it too, so it rinses clean, allowing me to moisturize however I want afterward.

Now if something better like Yardley rinses clean - no residue - and just happens to be gentler, then I'd love to use that over junk like Dove.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Boyextraordinare wrote:But when you say your skin has profited from switching to good soap, does that mean the soap is less drying in and of itself or it leaves moisturizing residue - say Shea Butter.

The reason I'm interested in Dove is it is soap but has a detergent in it too, so it rinses clean, allowing me to moisturize however I want afterward.

Now if something better like Yardley rinses clean - no residue - and just happens to be gentler, then I'd love to use that over junk like Dove.
Good soap is less drying in itself. If you have hard water, it will not rinse clean. That's the trade-off. If you don't have hard water, soap is the best choice, hands down, end of story. If your water is terrible, then you have something to think about.
Boyextraordinare

For the sake of discussion:

What's the point of the lye-fat/oil combo in saponification - besides creating a bar?

I know first hand if I have residue on my hand and drop some oil on it, it'll come off. Similarly, my GF uses baby oil, or a fancier oil-based product, to remove makeup from her eyes.

Isn't this what the Ancients did?

Douche in oil then wipe.

I mean, you won't be squeaky clean - but that's not nice either.
goose

Post by goose »

Saponification is actually a pretty old process. You are right that oil dissolves with oil and as I'm sure you are aware oil and water don't mix. The saponification process bascially creates a molecule that can bond with both water and oil so that the oil on your skin can be removed and rinsed away with water.

There are those who love the oil cleansing method espcecially for the face, but I haven't had the urge to try it.

Clint
Last edited by goose on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boyextraordinare

There is product I've seen sold at CVS, called Alberone (sp), that is all oil-based.

But all I need is baby oil...

I might flow with this method for a while.

I always use baby oil out of the shower anyway.

I'll just make sure to wipe it off nicely.

Provided that this works, and doesn't lead to excess oil buildup, it's obviously the least harsh method of full cleansing.

I know ppl - on the less sanitary side - who don't cleanse their faces at all. Just use hot water, and wipe - and have fine skin.

This is a step up from that.
buster

Post by buster »

Boyextraordinare wrote:But when you say your skin has profited from switching to good soap, does that mean the soap is less drying in and of itself or it leaves moisturizing residue - say Shea Butter.
Yes, the soap is much less drying for me.
Boyextraordinare wrote:Now if something better like Yardley rinses clean - no residue - and just happens to be gentler, then I'd love to use that over junk like Dove.
My water is not soft by any means. It's not horrible, but It's kinda hard and I get soap scum on my razors, in the shower, etc. I feel like my soap rinses pretty cleanly, however. I don't feel like I have soap residue all over when I get out of the shower.

Here's the subjective part. Dove smells like, well, Dove. Yardley smells of things better than Dove (YMMV :wink:) I would choose the Yardley...(besides, it's only gonna set you back a few more pennies at the drugstore)

Hope this helps.
-Carrick
Boyextraordinare

I have to say I find body wash nicer to use and far less drying than any soap I've tried.

So I'm done thinking about soaps and saponification, and going back to Cetaphil Daily for the face and whatever SLES-based body cleanser for the body.
pj_rage

Post by pj_rage »

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I've never known a difference between bar soap and body wash one way or another (never looked into it, soap was (is?) soap - or so I thought). Back in college I switched to body wash when axe came out with it. At first I was just pouring it in my hand and rubbing it on, but that was ridiculously inefficient. I quickly moved on to a poof (hey, at least it's black :twisted: ). Showering every day I use a bottle of the axe body wash per 2-3 months (never really measured) but it feels like it lasts forever. I've also tried the blade brand a couple times, and also the old spice one, and noticed no differences except the scents. Currently I've been using the Gillette hydrator one, and again, no real difference except the scent which I've been really into.

With all of them, I just add maybe 2-3 almonds worth to the poof, lather it up and apply. I've never noticed my skin being particularly dry or anything, (or particularly moisturized?). Never really noticed anything one way or another - my skin just seems "normal" and/or "fine." I definitely didn't notice any difference moving from bar soap. I still use bar soap from time to time at hotels or when staying with my parents or whatever. I notice no difference in my skin even when I use the bar soap for a few days.

Do I just have indifferent skin, an inability to determine the moisture level of my skin, or is it because I just don't pay it much attention? I really just prefer the body wash because it's much easier and faster to just fling the poof around than to use bar soap, plus I actually like the scents :oops:
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

pj, Gent's skin difffers, but it could be any of the reasons you gave...or all of them ( chuckle ). But as you can see from the other posts in this thread, many guys have discovered that they've been sold a bill of goods on 'soap' and that really, for many, it is easier on, and better for their skin, and not the reverse, like they've been told by the cosmetics industry. And FWIW, I, and quite a few others, find traditional soaps much easier to use effectively in the shower as well as being more economical....even the expersive ones. A lot of gents who think real soap is 'drying' have never used anything but the cheapest, strongest, 'deodorant' bars available in the supermarket. IMO, quality soap is like quality shaving products; once you use it for awhile, you can't go back.
Regards,
Gordon
Boyextraordinare

Soap is better; buy a bar of Yardley's - 1.50 USD - and it will last you a while.

Body wash is ridiculous without the nylon puff, as you noted, but that nylon puff is a hotbed for bacterial growth.

I simplifying things to one medium: soap.

Face, body and hair.

Still looking for the best-scented one; Yardley's American is a steal for the money and works beautifully but lacks scent.

MWF Bath Soap, at 10 dollars a bar, a bar which I assume will last at least 6 months, was a huge dissapointment; more drying than Yardley's and badly fragranced.

I like Dove too, though it's not a true soap - but a beauty bar - yet it's soft and melts rapidly.

Never going back to detergent-based cleansers, shower gels, facial cleansers, which are replete with chemicals and rely on a puff to work.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm on my second bar of Mitchell's Wool Fat bath/shower soap.

It doesn't say anywhere on the packaging that it's triple milled, and I doubt that it is, as one bar lasted me less than a month of showers. It produces a very rich, skin-nurturing lather, but I don't care for the scent.

I haven't been able to find Yardley soap, so far, in this small rural town that I live in, but I want to try some. I'm very sensitive to fragrances, so the less fragrance in the soap, the better for me.

- Murray
Banihex

Post by Banihex »

Great topic!

I always used bar soap, and usually just IrishSpring (no rag or anything, just lathered the soap bar against my skin)..... My skin was so soft, and my girlfriend was amazed at how great my skin was.
Then she convinced me to buy body wash and one of those poofy things you lather it with. Huge mistake, when I use that poofy thing, I feel like my skin is being sanded off, and my skin is drier than ever.

When this body wash runs out, which shouldn't take long, I'll pick up some Yardley.
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

In a perfect world, I would use bar soap.

But I have pretty hard water, so a lot of soap scum accumulates quickly, and I have to scrub hard every week (or every 2 weeks) :x
Boyextraordinare

My skin's has improved markedly since switching to real soap - not a blemish.

I don't, however, feel body washes are less skin-stripping. On the contrary, they don't cleanse adaquately, leaving too much oil on the skin.

Now I'm clean as a whistle when I step out of the shower, and that having used very little soap, no puff, no nonsense.

This is actually the best beneficial thing I've learned on this board so far. Everyone elsewhere, helplessly misled, praises body wash - liquid garbage.

Whoever wrote on MWF bath soap I can't believe it's lasting you a mere month. Are you using the 10 dollar variety? It's huge and hard. And you're right: the scent is pitiful.
Last edited by Boyextraordinare on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buster

Post by buster »

I just cracked open my bar of Crabtree and Evelyn Goatsmilk soap a few weeks back. It's strongly scented and was familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Well, it smells almost exactly of the Dove beauty bars only stronger in scent and better in quality. If you're used to Dove, try a bar of the C&E. I think it's still 20% off now and you can buy them in a single bar instead of the 3-pack (at least at my store). Interestingly, my bar of C&E Nomad makes my skin feel softer and better than the goatsmilk variety. And I like the scent better.

-C
goose

Post by goose »

Murray,

CVS, Walgreen's, and many drug and grocery stores carry the Yardley soaps. I have also found them in dollar stores.

Clint
Crhis

Post by Crhis »

My skin seems to be a bit indifferent between all those tallow soaps and body washes (though I do prefer to use a soap like Yardleys or Valobra just because I can manouver it better). I do however notice a huge difference when I use an olive oil/laurel oil soap. The scent is a bit iffy because it's all natural but my skin is left in much better condition.
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

rafikz wrote:In a perfect world, I would use bar soap.

But I have pretty hard water, so a lot of soap scum accumulates quickly, and I have to scrub hard every week (or every 2 weeks) :x
Anyone else having this issue?
Boyextraordinare

No, but you can compromise and get Dove.

Soap + detergent so it rinses clean. Other "Beauty Bars" exist but I haven't tried.

It's pretty weak, IMO, requiring more product use to get yourself feeling nice and pure, which means you'll run through a bar quickly, as the mere act touching one will make it start melting.

Get a 6pack.
goose

Post by goose »

rafikz,

I have extremely hard water in my area and I end up scrubbing the tub whether or not I use soap or a detergent based product.

Clint