Talcum Powder

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
JimR

Talcum Powder

Post by JimR »

I'm looking to try some scented talcum--any recommendations? Is the English Fern any good? Figuring as it's the cheapest of the line, I might be able to swing it...
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

clubman
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
goose

Post by goose »

The English Fern is my favorite talc. I actually slightly prefer the scent of the talc to the EDT.

Clint
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Pinaud Clubman

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Jim,

I find that most talcs, unlike many other toiletries, are very complimentary in scent to the cologne or fragrance upon which they're based. If you like Penhaligon's English Fern fragrance, you'll no doubt like the talc, but it is quite expensive, especially when taking into account shipping costs. Bronnley also offers a talc in an English Fern scent, which is much cheaper, yet still quite nice, though slightly different from the Penhaligon's version. I am not such a fan of the Floris 89 talc as many here are, but that is just personal preference. Other scented talcs which are a good value are the Caswell-Massey offerings, based on their various fragrance ranges. These are reasonably priced at $12 per tin. And, of course, there are many other talcs available, from Trumper to DR Harris to TOBS etc. While I enjoy using scented talc, on occasion, my day-to-day choice remains the Borotalco from Roberts. It does have fragrance but is not a "cologne" type of scent.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Jim, if you can find the Yardley talcs, they are all superb. Sandalwood, Lavender, and Musk are my favorites, but all of the scents are well-done.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jim, Ren pretty well summed it up. Penhaligon's English Fern is my personal favourite talc, but it's gotten seriously expensive. I'm also quite fond of the Trumpers which is at least a little less costly. During that brief interlude when T J Maxx had the excellent Floris No 89 talc for $5 a tin I got ahold of a number of them, and so, have not had to buy any talc for awhile, and won't for some time yet to come. It is not made anymore, nor is the fine, and reasonably priced Bronnley English Fern either, I don't think. So, when it does come time to replenish the stock, and if I don't want to pay the Penhaligon's or Trumper prices, I'll probably just go with one from Taylors or Caswell-Massey.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimR

Post by JimR »

Ohhhh...curses. I do LOVe that English fern scent. My wallet is slooooowly creaking open.

Casswell massey huh...or Taylors...Hmmmm.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone feel like giving up a tin of the Floris 89 or Bronnley English Fern?

I wonder if there'll be any problems sending a tin of fine white powder through the mail? ;)
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

JimR wrote:Ohhhh...curses. I do LOVe that English fern scent. My wallet is slooooowly creaking open.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone feel like giving up a tin of the Floris 89 or Bronnley English Fern?

I wonder if there'll be any problems sending a tin of fine white powder through the mail? ;)
Jim there is Penhaligons here in Tokyo. If you want me to check it out, I could see if they carry the EF talc. They don't import the entire line so I would have to check. There is also Floris here as well.

The Penhaligons location is two buildings over from where I work. Very tempting to use their sample EDT instead of buying it. :)
笑う門に福来る。
JimR

Post by JimR »

ZethLent wrote:
JimR wrote:Ohhhh...curses. I do LOVe that English fern scent. My wallet is slooooowly creaking open.

Jim there is Penhaligons here in Tokyo. If you want me to check it out, I could see if they carry the EF talc. They don't import the entire line so I would have to check. There is also Floris here as well.

The Penhaligons location is two buildings over from where I work. Very tempting to use their sample EDT instead of buying it. :)
ZethLent, if it's no trouble that would be AWESOME. In fact, if you could happen to pick up a sample of EF EDT... :wink:
Amann

Post by Amann »

Pinaud Clubman

Manly stuff. Cheap too.