Best readily available facial cleanser

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
lightupmyroom

Best readily available facial cleanser

Post by lightupmyroom »

I used to use Neutrogena fragrance-free facial bars. They gave me good results, but would often melt too fast. I'm looking for a high-quality face wash or bar that is readily available in supermarkets, drugstores, big box stores, etc. Any suggestions?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I'm afraid most of what you'll find in those stores is fragranced. Neutrogena is one of the few lines that comes without, i.e., Extra Gentle Cleanser (liquid). I've seen it at Bed, Bath & Beyond and CVS.
Ron
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Yardley soap. For me, it's far gentler than Neutrogena fragrance-free, and it lasts far longer too. It does have fragrance; don't know if that's a problem for you or not.
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

I like Cetaphil Daily Cleanser, it's pretty mild, gets the job done, and not much scent. Cheap to boot.
Rob
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I agree with David. In the 'readily available' catagory, the US Yardley soap for sure. Personally, I like the classic English Lavender.
Regards,
Gordon
JimT

Post by JimT »

Basis Sensitive Skin tallow based bar soap has almost no scent and is very skin compatible completely eliminating my itchy dry skin problems. I much prefer the lather that the Basis Sensitive Skin bar soap provides compared to detergent based soaps such as Dove or Cetaphil. I also much prefer the lack of scent compared to the overpowering scent in the Dove White soap bars. Basis Sensitive Skin bar soap costs $1.96 per 4 ounce bar (5.3 ounces during some times of the year) in the skin care section at Wal-Mart and it also shaves very well too - more moisturizing than Williams Mug Shaving soap. This is the only bath/shower soap I have found that delivers a really decent shave. Lately, I toss the left over thin sections of the almost used up soap bar into my shaving bowl and lather them up for mid week shaves saving my Tabac for weekends and special occasions. I am finding that the Basis Sensitive Skin bar soap is yielding disturbingly close and comfortable shaves for a bath/shower soap. My face is BBS now after shaving with Basis tonight. I have not used or needed aftershaves for many months now. Tabac shave soap as a shave stick is still the standard of comparison for all shaving products for me and it is still my all time favorite of all the shaving soaps and creams I have tried. I have pretty much stopped using moisturizers since I started using the Basis soap. Good luck.

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"
goose

Post by goose »

I think Cetaphil is a good one as well.

Clint
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The Body Shop Mecca Root Men's face wash. It's also very good. I still have a tube of the previous formulation, which was also very good, and have sampled the Mecca Root, which is in keeping with all Body Shop reformulations -- it's as good, if not better, than the product it replaces.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
lightupmyroom

Post by lightupmyroom »

bernards66 wrote:I agree with David. In the 'readily available' catagory, the US Yardley soap for sure. Personally, I like the classic English Lavender.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Thanks, I found US Yardley English Lavender at the dollar store. I found to be a good scent, and it reminds me a lot of my favorite everyday soap, Safeguard (color, shape, size, lathering ability). I will definitely pick up some Yardley every once in a while.
Amann

Post by Amann »

I've heard good things about that shave-u face wash...should be available in stores. I should imagine.
Another Platonist

Post by Another Platonist »

A couple of dermatology fellows I know speak highly of Johnson and Johnson purpose. I have used it in the past...very clean, inexpensive, and fragrance free. Good stuff.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Have you found Purpose to be fragrance-free? All the bottles I've seen/used in the past had fragrance. It's the same formulation as Clean & Clear's Foaming Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, which also has scent.
Ron
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

++ on Cetaphil
Good shaving,

Gary
Another Platonist

Post by Another Platonist »

rsp1202 wrote:Have you found Purpose to be fragrance-free? All the bottles I've seen/used in the past had fragrance. It's the same formulation as Clean & Clear's Foaming Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, which also has scent.
It did not seem to have any scent to me, but I could be wrong. The box does not say fragrance free, but if it is there, it is imperceptible to me.