Vintage Yardley bar soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Straight Arrow

Vintage Yardley bar soap

Post by Straight Arrow »

While visiting a local antique shop I spotted two vintage boxes of Yardley English Lavender bar soap. There were three bars in each box, wrapped, unused, and smelling great. I didn't have enough cash in my pocket at the time so they remain upon the shelf. I have two questions. Is it worth my while to go back and pick them up? Can they be used for shaving or just as a bath soap? Oh yes...they were priced $7 and $9.
Rich
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I've used this and it is good soap. It is very similar to the current supermarket Yardley in formula and performance though the scents are different. The formulas are a tad different too with the modern stuff having petroleum in it. The modern Yardley is more moisturizing. Essentially you'd be buying a nostalgic product as the modern stuff is just as good and cheaper.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Bath soaps Rich, worth the price if you want the scent and/or nostalgia, but just for bathing there are cheaper alternatives, though not by much. I would get them.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rich, The real Yardley bath soap ( that is actually made in England ) sells in the US, when you can find it, for at least $24 for three cakes. So, the stuff you're looking at is in line with that. But it used to be tallow based while it isn't today, and that made it a slightly better soap, IMO. The real English Yardley have always been extremely well made long lasting soaps and their English Lavender fragrance has been a classic for generations. It's a bath soap though, and like all bath soaps, even the best, it is not for shaving.
Regards,
Gordon
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Rich,

At that price, I think it's worthwhile. I find that Yardley bath soaps are among the best I've used - even the modern supermarket version is very good.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Ive been a yardley fan for about 6 months now......awesome bath soap and for the first time in years, my hands barely cracked up this winter. Im surprised more people don't use it

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, Well, like with the canned shaving goo, or the multi-blade cartridges, a whole generation or more has now been conned into believing that detergent based liquid cleansers are somehow 'gentler' and 'better' for your skin. It's uttterly absurd, but then again, so are my other two examples above.
Regards,
Gordon
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Thanks gentlemen for the replies and advice. I plan to make a trip back to that store in the hope that the soap is still there.
Rich