do gentlemen exfoliate?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Now that I use tallow based bath soaps exclusively, my skin is not dry anymore. Therefore, no need to exfoliate. Not that I did before anyway.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
JohnnyO_Jr

Post by JohnnyO_Jr »

My exfoliation is daily as I use a face scrub with abrasive micro beads.
Chap

Post by Chap »

rudy vey wrote:I use Vitabath Sugar scrub every second day. When this is gone, I am looking for a better priced, i.e. cheaper version. My wife uses some stuff and I am going to try hers.
Or you could mix sand (walnut shell, peach kernals, anything small, hard and a little sharp) in with your soap, there is not one jot of difference. I use a sponge and the liberal application of elbow grease.
rasel

Post by rasel »

I have very sensitive skin and exfoliate once a week just before a shave. 8)
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Just my 2 cents worth, I have been down this skin care fad long ago, I had face washes, toner, repair creams, moisturiser etc, my face broke out and my skin was worse than when I started.

I then tried other brands, and more sensitive creams washes, still had the same dramas. After taking Gordons advice, I stopped the lot and my skin improved out of site, have not had a break out or pimple in over 12 months. All I do now is shave wash my face with warm water, thats it.

My skin has improved, hope that helps you
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I exfoliate on days that I don't shave. I like the feeling of my face after a good scrub. I never exfoliate on shaving days, though. The shaving exfoliates enough for me.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

mustang, I'm most pleased to hear that you took my advice on this, and that it worked out so well for you. Be sure to stick around so that you can pass on your story to newbies who show up with the same sort mind-set and skin problems.....and they WILL, you may be assurred.
Regards,
Gordon
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Hi again Gordon,

Will definitely hang around alot more, now that im back into this DE thing of ours. I try and respond to most people who come in here with these questions, as I said I spent 2 years messing with all this stuff and spent thousands of dollars. I have spoken to friends who had dry skin or really bad acne or breakouts, as soon as I told them to dump all the products and go back to basics, on every occasion their skin improved. My skin has never been better, im so glad I took your advice when I did, and I have saved alot of money in the process. Its a known fact even the best super models only wash their face in luke warm water once a day, good enough for them then good enough for me

Craig
ExecAccess

Post by ExecAccess »

As you can see from the mixed response, a lot depends on your skin type. A good badger shaving brush goes a long way, but if you do need to "scrub" then don't over do it. Once or twice a week is generally enough. And go gently, you're not sanding wood.
www.executiveaccessories.com.au - mens fashion accessories and skin care online in Australia.
slimjim5751

Post by slimjim5751 »

Joe wrote:

A wash and a shave does it for me.

I went through a 'phase' where I'd use a face-wash, face-scrub, then shave followed by moisturiser.

Now I wash with normal soap, shave, aftershave and my skin has never been so good.
+1 i would just add a warm face cloth applied to the face for about 3 minutes before shaving
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Don't recall ever using such a product, washing and shaving does it for me.
Regards,
Squire
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Not anymore...

Post by StGeorge »

A few more years down the road, a bit older and wiser, no need to do it anymore, just shower, shave and I'm done, I've learned less is more for your skin.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: do gentlemen exfoliate?

Post by Squire »

Seeing the title of this older thread gave me pause about what gentlemen do. Think I'll go clean and oil my shotguns, that always puts me in a calm mood.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Not intentionally in my case. Soap and water. It occurs to me that a couple of my recently depleted bath soaps had little particles imbedded throughout that actually do provide a scrubbing action as they are used during the shower. Swedish Dream soap contains salt crystals that take care of that function. I have no idea what substance Mentha contains to previde the scrubbing sensation. Overall, partly because of the built-in scrubbing, these two are actually my favorite bath soaps, so far, as I continue to fight my way through a small hoard of bath soaps I had accumulated. The Swedish will be replaced if and when the time comes for me to buy more bath soap, and Mentha will not be replaced.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yes, every time I shave the blade takes off skin cells. I don't have a separate step that does it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
preidy

Post by preidy »

Not if I have to wear a tie.
anomaly1985

Post by anomaly1985 »

Yes, I use urth face scrub. No microbeads. I tend to avoid anything with microbeads that can make microscopic tears on the surface of you face. Oh, and they’re awful for your skin anything that is abrasive really isn't the best way to exfoliate and terrible for the environment, causing marine pollution and the death of sealife. Outlaw microbeads. Natural is always the way to go.
Last edited by anomaly1985 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I wet shave every day. Dragging something very sharp across my face several times is more than enough to remove a few layers of skin. For the rest of my face, I wash it with regular soap when I shower prior to my morning shave. I've been doing this for +50 years, the time I've been shaving, and it's worked perfectly for me.
Last edited by Rufus on Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
brothers

Re: Not anymore...

Post by brothers »

StGeorge wrote:A few more years down the road, a bit older and wiser, no need to do it anymore, just shower, shave and I'm done, I've learned less is more for your skin.
This works for me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

sandiegodan wrote:Just wondering, cause I honestly have no clue - but do true gentlemen incorporate "exfoliating" into their daily routines?

Are the exfoliating facial creams really necessary, or would a gentleman's routine consist of a good wash followed by a good shave?
Exfoliating is necessary. Exfoliating, daily, is overkill. As far as special creams, etc., I think most are bunk. Some might work.

I exfoliate, twice, weekly.