do gentlemen exfoliate?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
sandiegodan

do gentlemen exfoliate?

Post by sandiegodan »

Just wondering, cause I honestly have no clue - but do true gentlemen incorporate "exfoliating" into their daily routines?

Are the exfoliating facial creams really necessary, or would a gentleman's routine consist of a good wash followed by a good shave?
diggity

Post by diggity »

The latter is enough, except for the t-zone. <bag over head> but it is true. For the part of the face you shave, shaving after washing your face should be enough exfoliation.
Nathan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Option #2. 'Exfoliation' products, like 'toners' are just things cooked up by the cosmetics industry so that they can sell you more products. A classic shave is more than enough 'exfoliation' for that part of your face, thank you, and good soap and warm water will take care of your 'T zone' more than adequately in most cases. With skin care, often less is more. We've had more than one gent join this forum who had markedly messed up his skin by using a plethora of suppossed 'skin care' products, that clerks in dept. stores ( or magazines ) had convinced them that they just 'had' to use.
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I agree with Gordon, another product created for no reason other than to separate men from their money.
Richard
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

If you are shaving everyday and using a brush with your lather I really doubt it necessary except for the "T" zone. But I really think a good gentle soap or cleaner is all you need to keep your face in good condition.

I am finding simple is better, even with the shaving.
Good shaving,

Gary
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

This one does. I use an exfoliating cream in the shower, not so much for my skin but lifting my stubble. I only use a cheap (£1 it doesn't get much cheaper than that) cream and I find that it cleans my face, gets any oil off the stubble and helps to prepare my beard really well. I have dense stubble in places and it helps me. It definitely helps lift and soften my beard, I obviously can't speak for anyone else but I can use milder blades to good effect doing this whereas before only Swede's or Feathers
were sharp enough. (I still prefer sharp blades mind). I always suggest trying these things as you just never know what will work for you.
I can't use any highly perfumed soaps as I just get irritation but others can happily use, and recommend, anything.
The trying is all part of the experience IMHO.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I exfoliate from time to time -- especially after a period of exercise (like a good bike ride or a day on the ski hills). I use The Body Shop Men's Facial Scrub exclusively for this.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
teabag

Post by teabag »

Every so often I will exfoliate with a facial scrub. The best I have come accross so far is Baxter of California Facial Scrub, it really does shift the grime. Don't 'force' it into your skin as it is rather abrasive, just a gentle rub will leave your face lovely and smooth, a nice part of the prep before shaving.

Phil.
nav

Post by nav »

a gentle scrub twice weekly is plenty. I find it too much if used daily.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

A wash and a shave does it for me.

I went through a 'phase' where I'd use a face-wash, face-scrub, then shave followed by moisturiser.

Now I wash with normal soap, shave, aftershave and my skin has never been so good.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey sandie, simple soap and water work for me.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Hi Sandie, welcome to the forum.

To answer your question: no.

Chris
elixr

Post by elixr »

I exfoliate on days that I don't shave. I use Clean & Clear Daily Face Cleanser for this. On days that I shave (every two to three days), I just wash with Cetaphil Gentle Face Wash and shave.

I find that exfoliation before shaving often just makes the shave rougher because of how raw it can leave my face, since I like to really scrub it in.
grumpy old codger

Post by grumpy old codger »

Gentlemen scape/scrub off dead skin.Ladies exfoliate.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Hot water and a shave, rarely use soap.
Eric
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

I have very dry skin due to my Psoriasis, so I exfoliate my whole body generally once a week. Every couple of days I do my face to get rid of all the dead loose skin hanging around.

That said, I have never noticed a difference in shaves when I have exfoliated vs when I have not. So, if you don't have the dead skin problem like myself, I wouldn't worry about it.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
grumpy old codger

Post by grumpy old codger »

Ladies exfoliate, gentlemen scrub
King-D

Post by King-D »

Every couple of days I need to 'scrub' the dead skin from my nose and forehead using one of those cheap Japanese washcloths. Otherwise, the dry skin becomes unsightly. I find the exfoliating creams to be completely unnecessary.
David

Shave in the shower!
rudy vey

Post by rudy vey »

I use Vitabath Sugar scrub every second day. When this is gone, I am looking for a better priced, i.e. cheaper version. My wife uses some stuff and I am going to try hers.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

rudy, Maybe just skip it entirely. Check out the above posts.
Regards,
Gordon