What products does everyone use?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
jtoddaz

Post by jtoddaz »

Soap

Claus Porto Vetiver

Face

Jack Black Facial Cleanser
L'Occitane CADE Scrub
L'Occitane Youth Moisturizer
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Good. Give it a little time. Soap will not clog your pores. If you don't believe me, Dr. Moss has validated this more than once in the past. Don't over wash, twice daily is the absolute maximum, and don't use excessively hot water when you do. 'The sage knows when to stop'. Keep it simple, and give up on obsessive perfectionism, and both you and your skin will be better off I suspect.
Regards,
Gordon
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

Besides my unusually large supply of shave goodies this is what I use:

Bath soap: Floris Rose Geranium
Shampoo: JASON Organic Lavender
Face wash: Cetaphil a couple of times a week
Hair: Lucky Tiger Correct Way Tonic / Booster hair cream
Bob
Flash G

Re: hahahah

Post by Flash G »

joe mcclaine wrote: I shave up and towards the back on my neck as that's the way my hair grows. If I shaved straight down I'd be shaving 'against the grain'.

Two important things I've learned - use a brush and find which way your hair grows. With those two taken care of I can shave with anything.
+1

I just wash my face with water. I have "combination skin" but have no trouble maintaining a clean face. I use a moisturizer if I feel my face is on the dry side.
Eric
PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

U.S. Yardley soap for bath and washing the face before bed.

Thayers Witch Hazel

Aveno Moisutrerizer for the body

Herbal Essence Hair gel or Layrite Pomade for hair.

Serg
whispercircuit

you guys are awesome...

Post by whispercircuit »

thanks for the responses.. i appreciate it.. i'm also starting to see that a "scrub".. for me anyways.. causes more bad than good.. and i just ordered a sea sponge to try out... i'll definitely have to keep trying the soaps.. the trumper's one i have now gives me that "squeeky" clean when washing.. which means i'm dry when i towel off... i probably need something a little gentler.. i liked the olive oil soaps, but after a week of using one my skin looked odd.. like leathery or something.. dove white, so far, has been the only soap i've been able to use on my face and not get dry... baxter of california and nancy boy both keep me from getting dry, but don't do much for my skin other than that... i tend to get less zits when i use soap though... umph... it's a pickle... i do agree, gordon.. i'd rather be a little oily by the end of the day too.. so i think i need to find a soap that is gentle on my face... i tried l'occitane's gentle milk shea butter soap this morning and it'd dried my skin out bad... so any suggestions on a nice, simple, non-drying soap?
- Yadda Yadda Yadda
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Of course you should go with what Gordon recommends, but I'll add that Green Mountain soap (comes in tallow or palm oil formulations, both without scent, and in liquid or solid form) used as a face soap is an excellent and inexpensive alternative. I've just started using it as such and it doesn't strip the oils from your face. Available at gmsoap.com and natlallergy.com/
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Two inexpensive ones that have worked pretty well for me are the US made Yardley Lavender and the original Basis soaps. Both are tallow based, which, other things being equal, are always a better choice for me personally. That Green Mountain stuff, in tallow version, that was mentioned above might be worth a try. I've never used it myself. Again, just a quick wash with the water not excessively hot. Personally, I only soap the 'T zone' as the rest of my face and neck gets well 'scubbed' by the shaving alone and any additional washing has only caused me irritation. Again, everyone is a little bit different, but overall, one is much better off keeping it simple, and using a quality soap rather then most of that bumf that's being pushed on the market these days.
Regards,
Gordon
xenic

Post by xenic »

ive used tons of products in the past and my skin hated me for it...so now here is what i have been doing for over 2 months and my skin is looking much healthier and is not breaking out anymore.

morning
shower = i only use water to wash my face, wash body with gillette 2-in-1 moisterizing body wash, and use pantene shampoo + conditioner about 3 times a week

shave = original gillette shave foam, gillette fusion

evening
nothing, maybe splash my face with cold water

thats it, pretty simple and effective
Natslove

Post by Natslove »

Face wash - Biotherm
Pre shave - My own oil combination
shave- Trufitt and hill Rose/almond/ ultimate
after shave- Aloe very jelly
- Anthony logistics shave balm
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

My kid brother uses a ton of different products including something for his eyelids which cost him about £30 for 5ml and he swears by them all. Most of his stuff has tea tree oil or mint or some-such in. He also has manicures and waxes and uses a sunbed and what-not.

If I ever got him into proper shaving he'd never leave the bathroom . . . the big girl.

We are poles appart.

Shaving is enough to take care of my skin and I don't have any hair on my head to worry about.
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

No "products" as such, but my routine usually consists the following:

I've taken a liking to the Yardley bath soap (US). No particular shampoo, but rarely anything "high end".

After shaving, usually some GFT Limes Skin Food, followed by one of several T&H AS balms that I have.

My skin is not dry, so I almost never use lotions or moisturizers.
Danny
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

Dry skinned bastard here:

- Face wash: Nivea Sensitive or Cetaphil gentle
- A/S: don't get me started; any good drugstore alcohol-free balm
- Lotion: Vaseline Shea and cocoa butters or Nivea Sensitve face lotion

Bodywashes:

- Nivea Cool
- Nivea Sensitive
- Gillette bodywashes

Shampoo:
- Gillette clean
- L'Oreal Men thickening
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

rafikz, If you have dry skin, you'd likely do better with a quality tallow bath soap than those detergent based body washes.
Regards,
Gordon
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

bernards66 wrote:rafikz, If you have dry skin, you'd likely do better with a quality tallow bath soap than those detergent based body washes.
Regards,
Gordon
Hi Gordon,

Actually, my facial skin is the dry one; my body's skin is normal.

There are a few well formulated body washes; my favorite one being the Nivea Sensitive.

I would rather use soap bars, not because of the skincare, but because I have quicker showers when I use them.
I don't use soap at home because of the soap scum; I hate soap scum

I do have a few nice luxurious soaps though, that I use at the gym
w5eo

Post by w5eo »

I've been using Maleface moisturizer at night but I want to try something that I can get locally at Walgreen/Walmart/dept store locally. Is there anything similiar to the Maleface because it does work well?
jtoddaz

Post by jtoddaz »

Soap-Claus Porto Vetiver or Pear Sandalwood
Face-Jack Black Face wash
Scrub-L'Occitane CADE
Moisturizer-L'Occitane CADE
Toner-Thayer's (at night) If I wash my face it wakes me up, which is pretty counter-productive
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My skin tolerates any soap that's on sale but my very favorite is Floris Edwardian Bouquet.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, That one IS very nice. My personal favourite ( at least before all the high end soaps went veggie ) was the Floris Rose Geranium. Loved that stuff despite the price.
Regards,
Gordon
Dave-itt

i use

Post by Dave-itt »

Aside from the usual Trumpers and Truefitt colognes and shaving creams:

Lush: Squeaky Green shampoo, Retread conditioner and Big Tease hair gel

American Crew: Forming Cream

Molton Brown: Black Pepper shower gel, bath salts

Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet bath oil (bought NOS, beautiful)
David speaks a dozen languages and has friends from here to the Sudan.. he'll blend in; disappear; you'll never see him again. With any luck, he has The Grail already..