What products does everyone use?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
whispercircuit

What products does everyone use?

Post by whispercircuit »

So, I'm curious to see what everyone else in here uses. I know these types of threads have appeared in the past, but I'd really to gauge what I'm using to everyone else.

I use...

Morning:
Nancy Boy Cleanser
Trumper's Spanish Leather Soap
Jojoba Oil
Coppertone Sunblock

Night:
Thayer's w/ Aloe Toner

Occasionally:
Zia For Men Scrub
Body Shop Clay Mask

I'd really like to find a good bath soap that I can use on my face and body and get rid of the cleanser all together, but so far everything I've used dries me out too much.

I have combination skin. Oily nose and forehead and cheeks even.. but dry everywhere else.

The cleansers I've tried in the past: Zirh Clean, Jack Black, Anthony Glycolic, Men-U, Cetaphil (both), Baxter of California, Basis, Neutrogena, Clean and Clear, Lab Series, Loreal, Clinique, etc... I feel like I've tried them all.... god, I'm a sucker.

The bath soaps I've tried in the past: Dove White, Dove Sensitive, Yardley, Molton Brown, Trumper's, Musgo Real, Mitchell's Wool Fat (which taught me I'm way too lanolin senstive), Aubrey Organics, Kiss My Face, Basis, Caress, Lever 2000, etc.

Anyways, thanks for posting if you do...
- Yadda Yadda Yadda
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

i use an odd blend of witch hazel. roughly a 200ml bottle.

- dickinsons witch hazel
- 1 tsp. gold listerine
- 2 drops tea tree oil

as far as soap goes, ive taken a liking to colgate octagon soap.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I shower and shave in the morning and that's it. I don't use any other 'products' except to refresh the cologne sometimes. While there are several soaps I favour, I usually use the original Vinolia. That's it, other than shampoo twice a week, talc, and the shave stuff. Less is more.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Other than my standard love for GFT Skin Food, I am a huge fan of The Body Shop Face Protector, Face Wash, etc.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
whispercircuit

vinolia, etc.

Post by whispercircuit »

yes, Gordon.. that's what I'd like to do... I've already simplified my stuff as far as skincare goes.. a little anyways... ideally, I'd like to find a bar of soap I can stick with that suits me right.... out of all the ones I've tried I'm left super dry and then oily later on... do you not even use sunblock? see... I used to just use a bar of Irish Spring and that was it when I lived in the desert... then I moved to a big city and got suckered into the world of mangrooming.. which I too concur is a big scam for the most part.... I'm about to make a jump into wetshaving as well, so I'm sure that will help... I've never tried Vinolia but I know it has petrolatum in it which always leaves me with a shiny coat, like the Lever 2000.... I just wanted to see what everyone was using so I can get an idea i guess... I'm reaching, I'm sure. Maybe a good olive oil soap
- Yadda Yadda Yadda
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I use two products: soap and apricot facial scrub. I used shampoo and sometimes bodywash (shampoo works as body wash and costs less) until a few months ago when I decided to try going back to soap. I've tried a few and I'm liking the triple milled/french milled stuff best so far. Pre De Provence honey almond is the current bar, which is the best thing I've tried and based on how "fast" it's getting used it looks like I'll be using it for a long time. I started shaving my head, so no more shampoo. The apricot facial scrub helps keep my oily face clean and clear.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
teabag

Post by teabag »

The 3 current things I am using are:

Aesops Body Cleansing Slab
Elemis S.O.S. Survival Cream
Van Cleef Pour Homme.

Regards,

Phil.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I use the following and prefer a simple program:

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleaner - face - morning pre-shave and evening.
Lever 2000 w/vaseline intensive care - shower (buy it by the dozen at Costco).
Aveda Shampoo - whatever one my wife brings home from the salon.
Brylcream - for the hair.

Now if I could only keep the shave cream/soap and after shave to a short list.
Good shaving,

Gary
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

U.S. Yardley or Canus Goat Milk bath soap, whichever is open, daily
Head & Shoulders shampoo a few times a week
Shave soap, once or twice a day
Witch hazel applied with a cotton ball before bed nightly

Since dropping the other stuff, I have less acne (i.e., none), a less oily face, and less dry, itchy skin in wintertime than I ever have.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

bernards66 wrote:While there are several soaps I favour, I usually use the original Vinolia.

titanic soap. very nice.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Actually, the ONLY non-shave product I use is Imperial Leather bath soap.

No cleansers, no shampoo, no toners, no scrubs, no moisturisers, no face masks, no lip stick.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

joe mcclaine wrote:...Imperial Leather bath soap.
Wonderful stuff indeed! We used to be able to get this stuff ultra-cheap at local dollar stores - but haven't been able to find any in several years. I have to stock up whenever we get to visit England at the local Bury Market. Best doggone soap known to mankind -- save MWF. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
IanM

Post by IanM »

Fairy or Penhaligon's EF soap to wash my face. If I shave I'll use either of the following:

Nivea Extreme Comfort asb - Crap name, but it seems to work well.
Three Crowns a/s Milk - Still half of my sample left.
A traditional a/s splash.

If no shave is involved, I will apply some Boots Distilled Witch Hazel, followed by Trumper Skin Food.

I do have some Nivea Moisturiser which has some UV protection which I will sometimes use on sunny days. I live in England, so this tube will last approximately 37 years.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

jww wrote:
joe mcclaine wrote:...Imperial Leather bath soap.
Wonderful stuff indeed! We used to be able to get this stuff ultra-cheap at local dollar stores - but haven't been able to find any in several years. I have to stock up whenever we get to visit England at the local Bury Market. Best doggone soap known to mankind -- save MWF. :D
shoplondons.com has it. Or is it a different formulation?
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Real quality soap never leaves my skin dry, and washes off cleanly as well. Part of some guy's problems stems from the fact that they've been slicked into believing that their skin 'should' feel 'squeeky clean'....it shouldn't. If it does, then you've already removed too much of the natural oils from the skin's surface. Marseilles/Castile/olive oil based soaps can be good IF one has more oily skin, but if not, than they are usually too drying. To compare Vinolia to Lever 2000 is like comparing Coate's to Edge ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
whispercircuit

hahahah

Post by whispercircuit »

no, I definitely wasn't comparing the two... I'm just a bit clueless when it comes to quality soaps... I went from just using whatever was in the shower... to being tricked into spending an arseload of money on things that don't do anything and that "soap" is BAD!... now it's like I'm being exposed to a whole new world again... my experiences thus far with quality soaps hasn't been that great... for the face, I mean... I must say this Spanish Leather soap I'm using on my body is fantastic... anyways, I'm just seeing what other people use... maybe I'll give Vinolia a shot.... I have big pores on the nose.. and I get oily mid-day.. but I'm definitely dry when I get out of the shower and have to use moisturizer.... US Yardley too.... I was merely saying the petrolatum in Lever 2000 leaves me shiny so I was worried vinolia might do that too....

also, on the subject of shaving.. though I'm in the wrong forum section... when shaving with a safety razor.. how many passes do you guys do? I keep seeing different things... and that you never shave up on the neck.. it's just down, down, down all the time.
- Yadda Yadda Yadda
joe mcclaine

Re: hahahah

Post by joe mcclaine »

whispercircuit wrote:also, on the subject of shaving.. though I'm in the wrong forum section... when shaving with a safety razor.. how many passes do you guys do? I keep seeing different things... and that you never shave up on the neck.. it's just down, down, down all the time.
I shave up and towards the back on my neck as that's the way my hair grows. If I shaved straight down I'd be shaving 'against the grain'.

Two important things I've learned - use a brush and find which way your hair grows. With those two taken care of I can shave with anything.
whispercircuit

ok...

Post by whispercircuit »

ya, i was just curious.. i watched those Mantic videos on youtube and he said that when shaving with a safety razor pay no attention to shaving with the grain as it doesn't matter... i use a mach 3 right now, so definitely shave with the grain... just curious.. thanks!
- Yadda Yadda Yadda
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, there are two basic schools of thought regarding traditional shaving with a DE. One holds that you should just shave a set pattern regardless of the grain of your whiskers. The other school maintains that your personal grain should at least be taken into consideration when one chooses what cuts to make and in what direction. I don't know, but I'd guess that the majority here are probably more in the second school of thought on this.

You'll have to experiment with the soaps, but for me, they do the job properly with no unwelcome side effects. Afterall, I'm only looking to keep my face reasonably clean, that's all. I too have largeish pores on my nose, and quality soaps do me just fine. And maybe it's okay if one's nose is just a tad 'oily' by the end of the day. Better that than dry, red, or irritated skin.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Fighting oily skin has been a life-long struggle, Gordon. Your point is well taken, about just trying to keep your face reasonably clean. By now I would settle for just a little less oil and just a little more dry, so have started using the good-soap-on-face routine and phasing out the fancy washes. My main concern is that soap will clog pores and lead to breakouts. I hope that's just a fear tactic the sellers of the high-price spreads put out. We'll see.
Ron