Basis Sensitive Vs. Yardley Soaps

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
whispercircuit

Basis Sensitive Vs. Yardley Soaps

Post by whispercircuit »

I'm curious as to which soap is better for face. Basis seems to have a few more bonus ingredients, but Yardley seems to be liked more here.

Yardley:
Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Water (Aqua), Fragrance (Parfum), Coconut Acid, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

Basis:
Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Triple Purified Water, Glycerin, Petrolatum, Almond Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Thiosulfate, Chamomile Extract, Aloe Vera Extract, Cyclopentadecanolide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Lanolin Alcohol, Beeswax

Thoughts?
- Yadda Yadda Yadda
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

They're both good. The Yardley ( in their Lavender scent ) smells better, but doesn't seem to last as long.
Regards,
Gordon
JimT

Post by JimT »

The Basis Sensitive Skin bar for me ranks as one of my best discoveries since I started frequenting shave forums right up with Tabac Shave Soap and the Merkur Heavy Duty Classic Straight Bar Razor. The Basis Sensitive Skin bar also provides a very respectable shave and it doesn't dry your skin out excessively.

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jim, Yeah, it's good to know that it's around; easily obtainable and inexpensive. One can do way worse, and spend a lot more. For me, it's my main back up if I run out of what I normally use and can't/don't mail order more immediately. Personally, I do better with tallow based bath soaps and this is one of the very few of decent quality still around.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I use glycerin soaps, specifically C&E Rosewater, mostly because I happen to have a large supply, but the ones that seem to work best are those made by Claus Porto.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Well, you clearly have less easily annoyed skin than I do, and this shows up in our take on blades as well. Claus Porto Almond used to be one of my favourite bath soaps, but they too have now gone to a palm oil base, and it's not the same. I don't know what it is, but my skin does not get along well with palm based soaps, even the best ones. And since almost all the top tier soaps have now gone that route, it's left me with precious little. I mostly use Vinolia these days, having run through all the old tallow Floris and Penhaligon soaps I had.
Regards,
Gordon
JimT

Post by JimT »

Gordon,

Where do you buy Vinolia?

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I don't have sensitive skin, so I cannot really make an intelligent contribution to this thread.

However, you might be interested in what I found yesterday at Big Lots of all places:

US Yardley Sweet Summer Aloe & Cucumber
Pure & Natural Hypo-Allergenic Renewing Grapefruit and Pomegranate
Cashmere Bouquet

Total for the six bars - $3.90 plus tax.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jim, The Vermont Country Store and The Soap Opera are the only two remaining US sources for Vinolia that I know of. It can also be ordered direct from the UK distributor, who is called Jupiter I think, but from them one has to make a larger purchase. One of these days I think I will just order 24 cakes from them and be done with it for awhile....sigh...
Regards,
Gordon