Nail trimming

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
95%

Post by 95% »

bernards66 wrote:Porter, In my experiance, those look-alike clippers etc, that one now sees in the chain drugstores are invariably made in China and every one I've tried has been sub-par; unacceptable. I had a pair of those Revlon heavy duty clippers that were a dead ringer appearance wise to the old Italian made Revlon pair I used to have, but performance wise there was no comparison, just didn't actually cut worth a damn. Shoot, I finally wound up having to go to Nordstroms just to find a tolerable pair of basic finger nail clippers because everything I bought in the drug store was such junk. Wound up with these Henckel branded, but Japanese made, clippers that at least work reasonably well and have held up. I was on the verge ( very much against my will ) of coughing up serious bucks and ordering Dovo clippers, or similiar online.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, you talked me into coughing up $20 for the Dovo clippers from Best Grooming Tools. I'm digging them. They have excellent balance and leverage, and the blades are very sharp. The drugstore clippers that I've used all these years just don't offer the precision that these do.
Porter
Chap

Post by Chap »

I hope you like your new clippers. I find great satisfaction in using good tools, from an exquisitely made brush, to finely made scissors, all the way to my garden tools, good tools make any job easier and more pleasurable. Good tools offer not only ease of use and efficacy, but also, long service life, so that one may find cathartic release in their in their operation for many years.

Things made to last were a hallmark of days past, it is certainly a notion that causes me sadness as I see it disappearing from our modern world. It is an idea as romantic as it is sensible, but like so many sensible things, is now being left by the wayside.
95%

Post by 95% »

Chap, yes, the quality of these German-made clippers is unusual in this day and age. I may never need another pair. Amazing that I've come this far in life without knowing about them. Thanks to your thread, I now do.
Porter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Glad to hear it, and you got a pretty good deal too. I paid about that much for that Japanese Henckle set that I have ( it is pretty decent though ). As has been said, the sad thing is that with many things one did not used to have to go to specialty retailers in Timbuktoo in order to get a decent product. We've touched on this in the context of men's clothing. Sure, there was always Brooks Brothers J. Press, and Paul Stuart in NYC, but in local shops out in Jersey I could get shirts, shoes, etc. that were almost as good.....and I could pay for them myself as a high school student who did the occasional odd job. As late as sometime in the '90s Walgreen's still had those quality Revlon clippers and so forth at a sensible price.
Regards,
Gordon
JohnnyO_Jr

Post by JohnnyO_Jr »

jww wrote:
Chap wrote:I could really never see myself getting a manicure, though thank you for the suggestion, my nails are thankful if they get a filing after their trim, let alone a manicure.

I was really looking to do the job with the most effective and well made tool possible, price withstanding of course, with a minimum of fuss.
You don't know what you are missing --- really. :D
The only good thing about getting a manicure is hoping you have a hot girl giving you the manicure. Then you can stare at her all day long :lol: