Am I alone in this practice?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
95%

Am I alone in this practice?

Post by 95% »

I keep a lady's compact at home, with which I powder my face and nose as the last step in the grooming ritual. It removes the shine left by the moisturizing products applied during and after the shave.

Do other men simply use talc, or nothing at all? Talc works, but it can't be applied as precisely with the hands as with the sponge-like applicator in a compact. Has anyone ever seen a solution marketed specifically to men, like a men's compact? I see no reason why we shouldn't have that same smooth, non-shiny skin that well-groomed women have.
Porter
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Your alone in that practice.

Best,
Fitch
95%

Post by 95% »

That's not the answer I was looking for, Fitch. Lie to me.
Porter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Yes, decidedly alone. Not been good form for gents since the 1700s, I'm afraid. I don't have a 'shiny nose', and as you know, I don't use moisturizing products....no need you see. But, I must applaud your candor ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Good Afternoon Porter. Sorry to be so "flippant"...couldn't resist. I've never powdered my face with talc. If that is what your doing? I have seen it around for sure ,or perhaps, you are just 'dabbing' your face with a puff.....I'll get my shades as I head out the door......

Best,
Fitch
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I've heard of some men applying talc with a brush, but that's the closest I'm aware of.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
95%

Post by 95% »

Fitch, of course you know, but for the benefit of the younger men, I'll explain that a compact is one of those mysterious articles with which females primp themselves. It's a small case that opens clamshell-wise to reveal a mirror in the upper half, and a cake of hard powder and an applicator in the lower. The lady applies the powder to her face to remove shine and to even out her complexion.

I use powder for the same purpose, but when I shake it out of a container into my hands, it gets all over the place, including on my clothes. A compact facilitates a more controlled application to the face.

Gordon, I think you made that up, "not been good form for gents since the 1700s." They powdered their wigs then, so why not their noses? However, I will concede that for a man to take a compact out of his suit pocket and powder his nose in public would not be good form.
Porter
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

You're not alone.

You, and most women, perform that ritual. So you're in at least 50% of the population's company. :wink:
Jason

Re: Am I alone in this practice?

Post by BoldSpice »

95% wrote:I keep a lady's compact at home...
Uh, good luck with that.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

No Porter, it has never occurred to me as something I either need or would care to do. Soap and water work for me.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, No, I was being accurate. Gentlemen did, indeed, use powder on their faces at times, in the 1700s ( and rouge too, for that matter )......ahem, but not since. ( unless they're acting in the theatre, of course ). But, what you choose to do in the privacy of your own bathroom is....well...you know... . But yes, I would certainly advise against whipping out one's mock tortoise compact in the locker room at the 'Y' ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
95%

Post by 95% »

Well, I thought I might be alone in this, because I never see references to it in the men's grooming literature. We're deeply interested in preparing for the shave, lathering, shaving with the right blades and techniques, applying aftershaves and colognes - but then we omit the obvious final step, which is to smooth out the complexion and remove shine with a touch of powder. Why is that "bad form"? The implication, suggested here by some commentators with tongue in cheek, is that because women do it, we shouldn't. But by the same logic, we shouldn't wear cologne either.

I agree, however, that men shouldn't carry primping to further extremes by applying liquid makeup. That's strictly for women, actors, and politicians who go before the cameras. I'll draw the line there. But talcum powder on the face makes perfect sense in my opinion. If the best way to administer it is with a ladies' compact, so be it.
Porter
Seamaster

Re: Am I alone in this practice?

Post by Seamaster »

95% wrote:I keep a lady's compact at home, with which I powder my face and nose as the last step in the grooming ritual. It removes the shine left by the moisturizing products applied during and after the shave. Do other men simply use talc, or nothing at all? Talc works, but it can't be applied as precisely with the hands as with the sponge-like applicator in a compact. Has anyone ever seen a solution marketed specifically to men, like a men's compact? I see no reason why we shouldn't have that same smooth, non-shiny skin that well-groomed women have.
As a wise man once said, "Do what works, results are what count".
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

There, there....so it's out in the open...'that Porter fellow powders his nose, doncha know?....'. That's okay, we like you anyway ( chuckle ). Who decides? Well, I suppose Beau Brummel orginally. Around 1800 heavy colognes, facial cosmetics, and wigs for men started to go out of fashion. Oh, a little pomade for the side whiskers and eyebrows was okay, but gents who continued to use stuff like rouge ( as Lord Palmerston did in his later years ) generally did so on the sly. Of course, facial 'cosmetics' for men have been making a come-back of late, but facial powder hasn't been part of that whole metrosexual scene....at least not yet. Hell, maybe you're on the cutting edge of a new tremd about to emerge for all we know.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

It's good to be the king.
Ron
95%

Post by 95% »

For chrissake, Gordon, I'm talking about a few molecules of talc to absorb moisture. I don't go out in public made up like the Joker or Bozo the Clown!
Porter
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

No need to try and justify it bro... if it works for you, more power to ya!
Jason

Post by 95% »

Thanks Jason...I think...but I feel like a cornered animal. Big Ren, please delete this thread. Make it so that it never existed. Get me outta here!
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Certainly your call Porter and nobody elses business. I'm sure you knew your question would start the usual banter around here but that's all. For myself my face does not shine after it is washed and it has never occurred to me to smooth out my complexion.
Regards,
Squire
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Baloosh wrote:No need to try and justify it bro... if it works for you, more power to ya!
Shouldn't that be more powder to ya! :lol: :lol:

Actually, Monty Part applied some talc to my face (with an atomizer) after a meticulously close shave on one occasion. It helped take the edge off the irritation. This was the only time I had talc applied but it may work for some who have a bit of shininess about the nose.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.