Help diagnosing what is on my face.

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
RawMeat

Help diagnosing what is on my face.

Post by RawMeat »

So, I have posted some before, I basically have this light pink/red patch on the left side of my face that gets really irritated with shaving (which was how I found this site). We think it might be mild rosacea (spelling probably wrong) -- to the extent that something that is a red splotch on a man's face that prevents him from being able to groom properly in the morning can be called "mild" I guess. Either way, I'm going to a dermatologist for that, to see what it is.

The other issue is that I have red spots, mostly along the line where my facial hair meets the neck from my first couple DE wet shaves. Squire has opined that such things probably came from a combination of too much pressure and moving to hastily. My question now is what are these things? They burn a lot and hurt when I go over that area with the razor. I can't get a good look at them, because of where they are on my face, but my wife says they look like some ingrown hairs (I don't ever remember getting ingrown hairs with my Gillette cart razor, though).

I can describe it more, if that helps, but I am working under the assumption that the pink patch is rosacea and needs some moisturizer and a super-gentle touch. For the red bumps, I have read the "razor bump" threads on here and discovered that bump-stopper2 is recommended, so I bought that and I am using that for now. I also bought some tea tree oil and witch hazel as recommended in such threads, but I am not using them right now, because I'd like to be somewhat scientific with my process to figure out what fixes this.

Thanks for all your help guys.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

My advice is to seek the opinion of a dermatologist. A web forum is no substitute in matters regarding diagnosis and treatment of medical ailments, even if we have some eminent docotrs among us. We can all speculate what you may have but in the end only a physician will be able to properly treat you.

Let us know how it works out. Good luck.

Chris
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

I agree I would see a dermatologist. As per some of my other comments in this skin care forum, trying to self diagnose and put more creams moisturisers toners at it can often make the situation alot worse, as you can read here and I can attest to personally it often does.

The other issue sounds like razor bumps/burn, make sure you have a good prep, good blade, maybe use a mild razor if you are not already and a good quality cream. In saying that still wise advise to go and get a professional opinion
RawMeat

Post by RawMeat »

mustang66 wrote:I agree I would see a dermatologist. As per some of my other comments in this skin care forum, trying to self diagnose and put more creams moisturisers toners at it can often make the situation alot worse, as you can read here and I can attest to personally it often does.

The other issue sounds like razor bumps/burn, make sure you have a good prep, good blade, maybe use a mild razor if you are not already and a good quality cream. In saying that still wise advise to go and get a professional opinion
Thanks both!

My plan is definitely to see a dermatologist about the red patch (that I think is rosacea for the moment), but the stuff at the hairline on the neck sounds like a more "normal" shaving problem that I am just trying to get confirmation that what I am describing is what I think is "razor bumps" and somewhat normal -- since I've never really done this before.

I will obviously try to have the derm take a look at both, but with the difficulties in getting appointments with derms I will hopefully not still have the neck bumps a month from now.
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

What sort of razor cream etc are you using to shave?
RawMeat

Post by RawMeat »

mustang66 wrote:What sort of razor cream etc are you using to shave?
Proraso cream, weishi razor, currently have a derby blade in it, badger brush. I had tried with some red personna blades, but they were really uncomfortable. These blades are pretty uncomfortable too, but less so. I think I still don't have the angle down.

I think that is all: post shower mix up cream, put it on the face, shave with weishi/derby, touch up with styptic pen, put bump stopper 2 on the really bad part at the hairline, get dressed, put regular moisturizer on the rest of the face.
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Ok your setup is nearly identical to mine, let me give you a suggestion. I still suggest you see a dermatologist.

But I use a weishi at the moment they are a mild razor and I really like it, when I had the Merkur futur and the HD I got really bad razor bumps redness. With the weishi I dont.

Ok I would stick with the weishi as its mild, but I would suggest you try and english cream, maybe taylors rose or lavendar, the proraso has menthol and it tended to irritate my skins and cause some redness burning at times. I have been using Taylors cream, and that problem has gone entirely and I think its a superior cream in every regard so I suggest you give that a go. I currently use the derby blades too, maybe try a super iridium which get good reviews.

As for the bump fighter, I cant comment on its effectiveness, but my opinion is to really limit how much cream balm and moisturisers you put on your face, often these are greasy or oily and make the problem worse, trust me I have been there. The less is more philosophy really applies here.

At least cut back until you see the dermatologist you could be using the wrong producst for your condition, better to do nothing that to throw more creams and balms at your already irritated face.

Id be interested to see you try a Taylors or trumpers cream, they really IMHO are superior.

Keep us posted

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Not much to add to what Craig posted above. We'll see what the dermatologist has to say, but in the meantime, maybe follow Craig's suggestions? I suspect that your problems are at least partially a result of less than optimal technique, perhaps aggravated by some of the ingredients in the Proraso and the aftershave products you may have been using.
Regards,
Gordon
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Yeah I agree, I really think you should try an english cream, like a rose or almond, as i said the eucalyptus and menthol can upset sensitive skin, as Gordon says make sure your technique is good, and light presure, dont shave like you used to with a catridge razor or you will get bumps

I would prior to the shave wash your face with warm water, dont use any soaps or pre shave things, after your shave maybe rinse off with cold, give the balms and creams a rest. Not sure if you seen my other skin care posts, but my skin at one point was a mess, red spots, breakouts etc etc, was using too many skin care products. It was Gordon who advised me less is more, as soon as I stopped my skin cleared right up, and its been good the last 18 months, no spots blemishes or rash.

As Gordon has stated here many times, the industry cooks up all these things and convinces us we need them, in most cases we dont and it adds to the issue.

Keep it simple :)

Craig
RawMeat

Post by RawMeat »

I have been looking around on here, but can't quite nail it down: Is there likely to be a brick and mortar shop that has taylor's? (I'm in a fairly major US City -- st. louis -- if that helps, so if it is likely to be in a city, then it might be here) I'd prefer to go buy some rather than wait. I know that I see that what stores have are sometimes different from what can be ordered, also. I checked at a couple of drug shops and regular stores and didn't see anything.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

RawMeat wrote:I have been looking around on here, but can't quite nail it down: Is there likely to be a brick and mortar shop that has taylor's? (I'm in a fairly major US City -- st. louis -- if that helps, so if it is likely to be in a city, then it might be here) I'd prefer to go buy some rather than wait. I know that I see that what stores have are sometimes different from what can be ordered, also. I checked at a couple of drug shops and regular stores and didn't see anything.
English creams are VERY hard to find in US B&M stores. Typicaly you need to order online. Another option is to get Real Shave Company cream from Rite-Aid. It's VERY similar to the English creams. If you can't find that, most Wal Marts and many drug stores have Van Der Hagen Deluxe shave soap (generic looking green box). I'd consider the VDH a second choice, but both with give good lather without menthol.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Just mail order the Taylors. It'll be much quicker than trying to find any locally in St. Louis. I prefer B&M stores too, but the plain truth is that in most areas that is not a viable option. Also, read everything you can find in our archives on proper DE technique.
Regards,
Gordon
RawMeat

Post by RawMeat »

I'll see about ordering some. Hopefully it will come before my derm appointment, since I'd like to bring everything that I have already (or plan to later) put on my face to show, so that she can look at the ingredients and stuff. I guess if it doesn't make it in time, I can find the ingredients info somewhere online though.

A small update: I got stuck in KC over the new year, so I didn't shave for about 4 or 5 days (I only planned to be there 1 night, so I didn't bring anything with me to shave with). I shaved last night, taking several WTG passes, since the hair was really, really long. I also went really, really slow -- the whole process probably took over an hour. My face feels alright today (and felt ok afterwards). I am thinking maybe on my first attempt my technique was really bad so I started getting the ingrowns, but it took a couple days for them to really irritate me (granted, that means that maybe I messed up last night and so the ingrowns will start manifesting in a couple days -- but my face definitely felt a lot better last night than it did after my first DE shave).
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

RawMeat wrote:
Proraso cream...
My old and wise Italian barber claims the application of Proraso cures everything. YMMV, of course.
RawMeat

Post by RawMeat »

Seamaster wrote:
RawMeat wrote:
Proraso cream...
My old and wise Italian barber claims the application of Proraso cures everything. YMMV, of course.
My knee gets kind of sore in the winter, maybe I'll put some proraso on that and see what happens :)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

RM the B&M stores are a hit or miss just about all over the Country. I can get Creed or T&H locally but not Taylor or Trumpers. I would check the local yellow pages for high end men's stores or smoke shops. Their ads usually mention whether they carry toiletries and a phone call will confirm their stock before you venture out.

I've had best luck with the shops that sell expensive pipes and cigars.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, My experiance is that they're mostly 'miss', and one can spend a lot of time making calls and driving around.....I know that I have. If one has the time and likes to get into that sort of 'hunt' it's okay, but if you just want a particular product I've found that it's quicker and less frustrating to just mail order it from a reputable vendor. You'll have it in four days probably. Personally, I love B&M shops but I don't even bother anymore, except in places like NYC.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I agree Gordon but driving around is fun when you are a tourist.
Regards,
Squire
RawMeat

Post by RawMeat »

Some stressful life events meant I took a hiatus from DE shaving. I'm going to go ahead and order some of the english cream (after refreshing myself of some of the reviews on here regarding the same) and also a sampler pack of some better blades -- I feel like either my beard is unusually thick or the blades are unusually bad, since even a brand new blade and 20 hours of growth leads to a lot of tugging when I am shaving.

I see a lot of online retailers discussed on here that have either creams or blades, but not a lot that have good english creams plus good blades, is there a general consensus on either of these or just a lot of YMMV stuff?

Still waiting for the derm appointment (sooooooooo booked up).

EDIT: I assume this is the "taylor's" everyone is talking about ( http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/talashcr15oz.html ). So, I guess I will also need to look around and figure out how you get the cream out of that type of container and lather it up -- i don't remember ever seeing a vid about that!
druphus

Post by druphus »

Both Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) and Geo. F. Trumper's are excellent English creams. As far as blades try something sharp - Feathers (though these irritate some), Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge (yellow), or Super Iridiums. Good luck.
Regards,
Andy