Question for the guys losing it up top

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I've never understood why male pattern baldness is considered a bad thing by some people.

When I was a boy in the 50s, there were three old men in my life who conducted themselves with dignity and authority - my grandfather, President Eisenhower and Pope Pius. And all three were bald!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
95%

Post by 95% »

Of course, they were all older men. But Yul Brynner was not. He was the first young man, considered virile and handsome, to make a virtue out of baldness.
Porter
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Yeah, but there were quite a few movies where they glued hair on ol' Yul...

There is a documentary, perhaps called Comb Over, that looks at this as a generational issue. Previous generations would do the comb over, our generations are the first that, practically as a group, have said just shave it off...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I'm bald on top, but it does not bother me much. I have been cutting my hair with an electric hair clipper. 21 mm length seems just about nice for me and that is the shortest setting on the longer comb of the clipper.

Beware though if you use a clipper with a comb that has the shortest setting like 3mm if you intended to use it at it's maximum setting, but make a mistake of using the shortest. :lol:

Jarmo
Jarmo
ExecAccess

Post by ExecAccess »

Short or shaved, depending on your head shape. But definitely no comb overs, especially the ones that give you that freshly raked grass effect.
www.executiveaccessories.com.au - mens fashion accessories and skin care online in Australia.
95%

Post by 95% »

+1. Absolutely no comb overs. A comb over suggests insecurity, self-consciousness, and the wish to deceive. It is one step away from a toupée, a favorite joke of stand-up comics. Just keep your hair nicely trimmed and brushed, and don't worry about it. Nobody else will, so why should you?
Porter
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Porter, +10.
Regards,
Jani
slimjim5751

Post by slimjim5751 »

I gave up worrying about it years ago life is to short, i bought my self a wahl hair clipping set i put the number 2 comb on it and give my self a hair cut every 7 days or so, and it saves money on hair cuts
Jim
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

A 2? That was where I started, Jim...now, I just use the razor itself.
Jack

slimjim5751

Post by slimjim5751 »

You like the feel of a hairless one then Jack :wink:
Jim
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

Perhaps one day we'll look back on this moment and crash into a parked car.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

To Sam.

You keep it mighty long on top and when the wind blows it is bound to look funny? You save much trouble, I think if just using a hair clipper once instead going to a get a hair cut. With cutting your hair yourself you might be pleasantly surprised.

As many fellows of our forum have sayd, it is best to keep the hair short as not to get the jokes as in that previous haircut post pic sure are going to get.

Jarmo
Jarmo
cvc

Post by cvc »

As of right now I still have plenty of hair on my head. A big pomp actually. However, when I run product through my hair to style each morning, I bend over the sink and I'm shocked at how much hair is left in the sink. I don't know if it's shedding or balding. Or are they both the same?..lol..So possibly I may be bald one day. I just don't want to lose my big rockabilly pomp.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi cvc -

It's normal to shed. Balding occurs when we shed more than we replace.

- Murray
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

I am now using Aleppo soap, which may encourage hair growth or whether I am no longer using SLS/SLES shampoo's.

I now have peach fuzz where I was completely bald :D .
stagger

Post by stagger »

I've never given it much thought. I still have a full head of hair (48 yoa) but I shave my grape every couple of days with my razor.
Regards,
Mark -
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

JimDandy wrote:Image
We called that hairstyle the 'flippo'. :lol:
I knew a guy that went through a can of hairspray every morning to get it to hold down, until he got hit by a tempest of a wind and it stood up about two feet above his scalp. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Just think of all those beautiful girls out there with fathers who are bald!
Eric
JimT

Post by JimT »

You will actually look like you have more hair with a shorter haircut with male pattern baldness - especially up top on bald spots with someone staring you in the eye. Longer hair lays flat and accentuates the hair loss visually while shorter hair stands up vertically making it look like you've got a bit more. I cut my own hair with a Wahl Designer Professional vibrator hair clipper purchased at Sally Beauty Supply about once every three to four months using a number 2 cutting guide. I originally started out with a number 4 guide, then a number 3 guide, and finally settled on the number 2 guide as the best look with the right hair cutting frequency. About every six months I have my better half trim my neck. About two to three weeks later, I look as if I had used the number 3 guide anyway. While I sometimes miss the professional haircut, free shampoo, and associated head rub, I vastly prefer the simplicity of being able to cut my own hair. The cost savings are not all that significant but the yearly savings might get you and your honey a nice dinner out if you see a barber regularly or maybe two dinners out if you are seeing hair stylists regularly. Also, a past favorite dermatologist of mine that has since retired used to tell me every time I saw him to throw out all my baseball caps and to consistently use a wide brim hat in the sun. I follow his advice. Good luck.

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I refuse to give up my baseball caps... :lol:

Every few months? Jim, when I do buzz my head, I have to do it every few weeks...

I have about an inch, inch-and-a-half dot in the back of my head where hair doesn't grow, a thin crown area and a few scars. I go between buzzing it with a number 2 every few weeks and just shaving it all off -- like I am now.

One thing I'll say for the smooth head -- it is much cooler in the hot weather.
Jack