Question for the guys losing it up top

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
DonGato

Question for the guys losing it up top

Post by DonGato »

At age 36, I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that I'm losing my hair. (I didn't say I liked it, just that I'm coming to terms with it.) At this point, it would seem that, best case, I'm going to get the donut hole in the back, and worst case, the horseshoe with the dreaded tuft of hair in the front.

As I see how my hair looks in pictures, it's becoming increasingly clear to me that I can't continue following the same grooming practices. That leaves me with two questions:

1. Any tips from other members of the Follically Challenged Club?
2. I've traditionally gone to a standard chop shop to get my hair cut, but I'm thinking I may need to go a bit more upscale to get a better handle on this issue (kind of ironic that having less hair means I may have to spend more taking care of it). Does that make sense? And if so, can anyone recommend a good place in Manhattan?

Thanks!
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The majority of us sadly have hereditary male pattern baldness. However, a minority have other conditions that are treatable. Do you know for sure? In my case it's definitely hereditary, though I've suffered less loss and greying than two siblings. I can attribute this to an overal better diet and health regimen.
Shorter styles actually look better longer than the elaborate comb overs or forward camouflages. Nothing is so rediculous as Sam Donaldson with his hair parted somewhere under one ear.
If it's any concelation, baldness truly is an advanced morphological development of the human species. We lost body hair so we could cool more rapidly and literally run overheated game down.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I agree with KAV that you won't find my advantage through hair styling. Both thin hair and gray hair look better short, while longer hair seems to exaggerate the undesired effects.

- Murray
95%

Post by 95% »

Hair loss is nothing for a man to worry about. It doesn't disfigure him but is accepted quite readily by others, including women. What matters is his general appearance of good health, his smile, and his attitude.
Last edited by 95% on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Porter
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Gato,

I'm in your age range and in the same club. Years ago, I started shearing my hair short -- about a one or two on the clippers -- or, in the summertime, just shaving it off. Don't worry about it.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

My wife had me clip the top really short, spikey-like. That seems to help. However, I am just combing forward from the crown kinda like a Ceaser cut that George Clooney had and keeping it short like David Letterman, but mine is thin, not thick like his. Next step, shave the head
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

I started to grow too tall for my hair at 17!

Shaved my head when it wasn't fashionable 20+ years ago.

Haven't looked back since.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

While I am not challenged in this way as of yet - and at 50 there is still plenty of time for this to hit - I already keep my hair trimmed a bit shorter, and should the monk's tonsure or natural horseshoe start to appear, I will clip it as close to a shave as I can. It just makes sense to me to own up to what you have and leave it at that.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I have sever MPB from my family. I kept it short for a long time. Finally decided I either needed to go to a real men's barber shop or shave it. I decided to try shaving it and love it. If that's not for you, go to an actual barber shop. Barbers specialize in cutting styles that look good on men and a decent one will do better than a more expensive upscale women's/unisex salon.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I'm in the shave your head camp

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Sam, you can always go flat top. I did for years, then got sick of paying $40 every few weeks for a haircut...Perfect haircut for a guy with thinning hair on top.

To be specific, I have a thinner spot at the back of my head surrounded by thin hair and, alas, scars. Since hair doesn't grow through scars, my choice is either long and flop it around or short. I like short.
Jack

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Here is what I am working with

Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

I completely agree with Porter.
Regards,
Jani
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

That's not bad at all, Sam...I'd go with the flat top, although it may have a different connotation in the legal field.

The only other problem I had with it was keeping the hair standing up, but that says more about the humidity down here than my hair.
Jack

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

That is what Cool Grease pomade was good for. Enough hold without being too, too greasy or slick. Cut it and had it notched for spikiness. Wife said go this way, in the pic.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I stopped worrying a long time ago and now buzz it short about once a week.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

fallingwickets wrote:I'm in the shave your head camp
Yep. Me too. Got tired of trying disguise my thinning hair.
~Greg
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Aztecface wrote:I completely agree with Porter.
+2
Regards,
David
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

Another one in support of the headshave. I'm 26 and have been shaving it for about 4 years now, before it actually started thinning. I can tell from the hairline that it's doing the same thing as my twin brother, who finally decided it wasn't worth futzing with and started shaving about 6 months ago. He's never been happier about his appearance. The other option really is just got for a shorter haircut, buzzed relatively close and maybe tapered a bit on the sides if you go for a slightly longer buzz. Shorter actually makes the sort of thinning you have look less obvious and keeps things youthful.
jpkunst

Post by jpkunst »

Either real short or completely shaven. No comb-overs of any kind.
Jan Pieter