Redness in the cheek area...

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
scaryshoes

Redness in the cheek area...

Post by scaryshoes »

Gentlemen,

Do any of you have a condition of persistent redness in the cheek area :?: I have been diagnosed with Rosacea, but have also been told that this condition is due to sun exposure.

Do you have any creams/remedies that you use for a similar condition, such as an unscented cream. I am currently using a prescription cream for the rosacea, which is seeming to help, but I was just wondering if any use over the counter creams as well....
Anthony

God is good all of the time.

Post by mustang66 »

Hi Anthony,

If you have been diagnosed with this and have been given a prescription cream, I would just stick with that.

All too often ( myself included ) we bombard our face with more creams lotions and balms, only to add to the problem. I would just use what you have, try and keep it simple, with skin care less really is more.

Craig
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Anthony, I'm with Craig, definately use that perscription as directed. Beyond that:
If you are washing that area of your face, what do you use, and how often?
What is your shave prep routine and what do you use?
What is your after the shave routine and what do you use?
What other products ( if any ) do you put on your face?
What kind of razor and blade do you use?

Regards,
Gordon
scaryshoes

Post by scaryshoes »

Hi Gordon,

I generally use Williams Mug soap and/or Bigelo cream, with Gillette Slim Adjustable set usually at 2. I usually make two passes on the cheeks, with an extra below the chin line. For aftershave I use either Aqua Velva, Nivea Cooling balm or Mentolo From Giovanni (a leftover which I really like).

Have to admit my prep could be better, using a wash cloth with very warm water (should try to give that more time in the mornings).

For soap in the shower I use Ivory as it is pretty mild, some of the scented soaps can really irritate my skin, especially on the arms and legs.
Anthony

Post by bernards66 »

Anthony, Okay, here are some suggestions, based not only on personal experiance but from having been involved on these shave boards for years now. Your razor and it's setting sounds fine, but you didn't mention what blade you use. I'm assuming the two passes you do on the cheeks are both N/S---WTG?

Williams shave soap does not have that much cushion in my experiance, nor is it especially easy to lather really well. You might consider a quality cream, like Taylors Almond, at least for awhile. More cushion, easier to lather optimally.

You might want to cut-out those high alcohol content aftershaves, and especially any that also contain menthol. These are well known to cause irritation/redness for numerous gents. I know it's pricey but maybe some Clinque Post Shave Healer instead would be worth the expense...at least until your skin calms down. There are other options but I think this is about the best at this point.

Ivory soap is not really that 'mild'. As far as inexpensive 'drugstore' soaps are concerned, Yardley Lavender might be a better choice, AND, try NOT soaping the shave area at all in the shower, only your 'T-zone' ( nose and forehead ).

Make these changes and I feel reasonably comfortable that you situation will improve.
Regards,
Gordon
scaryshoes

Post by scaryshoes »

Thanks Gordon for the recommendations!
Anthony

Re: Redness in the cheek area...

Post by RawMeat »

scaryshoes wrote:Gentlemen,

Do any of you have a condition of persistent redness in the cheek area :?: I have been diagnosed with Rosacea, but have also been told that this condition is due to sun exposure.

Do you have any creams/remedies that you use for a similar condition, such as an unscented cream. I am currently using a prescription cream for the rosacea, which is seeming to help, but I was just wondering if any use over the counter creams as well....
I think I have the exact same type of red spot on my face. Still waiting for a derm appointment, but it makes me a little sad that you have kind of confirmed that it is rosacea. I don't know why, just not having that seems better to me, but I guess it's not really dangerous or anything.

I will second gordon's recommendation about not using aqua velva, or other alcohol based aftershave items. I used to love using alcohol based stuff on my face after shaving, because it feels so good right away, but you pay for it later.

I just rinse off my face, finish getting dressed, and then put a light moisturizer with a little spf in it on my face and it feels better than it did before (I assume your script lotion is probably the right move).