Musgo Real and Claus Porto Soap is Tallow or Vegetable base?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
chris1978

Musgo Real and Claus Porto Soap is Tallow or Vegetable base?

Post by chris1978 »

I just thinking about the two most popular soap: Musgo Real on Rope and Claus Porto. Are they both actually made by Tallow or Vegetable oil base?

They both have big bars which last for long time but I never try it and heart it very good. Do you feel very moisturizing after taking a shower?

Where did you buy thsee two soap from?

It is worth it?

Any comments?

Chris A
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Chris,

My wife uses the Claus Porto Lavender bar soap, it is 100% vegetable based, smells terrific and lasts a long time. She goes through maybe two bars a year. It's one of my favorite gifts to give her every Christmas.

Highly recomended!
Good shaving,

Gary
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

http://health-beauty.shop.ebay.com/Soap ... p=15&_sc=1

great price on the Musgo. Dont know which one this is, as most show a green wrapping. Any idea? Does this have tallow? What is the scent like? For that price, I might take a gamble, $17 or so for 4 five-ounce bars
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I sent the ebay seller a message asking if they were tallow and he said not the ones pictured, but he could get the tallow. I told him if it was the 4 five-ounce bars for $18 shipped, yeah, Id take the tallow version. I think he had 10 sets available
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

You can also try direct with www.lafcony.com

Sam - you might want to double check on that tallow question.
Good shaving,

Gary
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gary, thanks. He responded with a picture of a tar soap by Musgo and I do not want that. His show a white wrapping and the traditionally pictured Musgo bar soap shows a green wrapper. I know there was talk of maybe even Musgo going veggie or palm. I like tallow and will abide the Musgo scent to get it, for that price, but I dont want the tar soap. Online, they show the soap on a rope as tallow based. Interesting.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I believe all Musgo soaps are now veggie based. Anything still tallow is old stock. It's still good mind you but you run the risk that whatever the order you make some or all of it will be veggie based.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

My understanding is the sqme as that of Chris....sorry to say. The Claus Porto Almond used to be one of my favourite bath soaps, but I've not bought any since they went to palm oil.
Regards.
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Gordon, that Almond soap is still a very good soap. Personally I think that the Claus Porto soaps maintained the same quality through the transition from tallow to palm. The same with Floris and Penhaligon's. Unfortunatly the same can not be said about their shaving soaps.
Regards,
Jani
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yeah, my Vetyver Claus bar is still a good bar, but I notice it has not the creaminess as a prior Lime Basil bar did.

Anyway, what is the scent on the Musgo bar. I found 4 bars at a great price and it is either that or say a Caswell Massey Sandalwood set and a Number 6 set
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sam, I would go with Caswell and pick up some similar Portuguese soaps from TJ Maxx.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jani, Well, perhaps I'll give them a try then. I've not had much luck with others which have made that transition. Even if they lather fine, etc. they have wound up making my skin unhappy. It's been very trying.
Regards,
Gordon