Caswell-Massey bath soaps

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
aircraft_electrician

Caswell-Massey bath soaps

Post by aircraft_electrician »

I've not read any thing good about Caswell-Massey's shaving products, and because of this I've not used them myself, but while in the only local store I can find any shaving soaps in, I noticed they're also selling Caswell-Massey's bath soaps.

My wife really likes the scents of their Verbena and Sandalwood lines. Has anyone used the bath soaps? Are they as bad as most people find the shaving soaps and creams or are they decent soaps?

At $24 for three large bars of triple-milled (although palm-based) soap, the price isn't bad, but I certainly don't want to spend that much if they are as bad as the C-M's shaving supplies.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tom I've used them and can recommend them, particularly the Verbena. The scents are good and the bars last.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Tom, I like the Sandalwood and the No. 6 soaps. I wish our local TJ Maxx or Marshalls carried them at discount, Id stock up.
Araner

Post by Araner »

CM bath bar soaps are great! The woodgrain sandalwood is wonderful. I also like the Verbena and Lime.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tom, Well, the scents ARE great, and the cakes DO last a long time. However, for me, I found the soap itself to be not that great, The lather didn't seem as rich and they seemed a little more prone to drying my skin slightly, as compared to the usual soaps that I use. But, they're certainly worth a try.
Regards,
Gordon
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Well, that's good news, I may pick up a box when my C&E Nomad cake is gone.

Gordon, what bath soaps do you normally use?

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Oh, I used to use several, back when they were all tallow based. I used C&E soaps for years, back when they were still made by Mettler of Switzerland. Then I got into Bronnley and the Almond Claus Porto largely, although I flirted with a number of others as well. My absolute favourite was Floris Rose Geranium which I would use whenever I was willing to cough up extra cash, but they were very expensive even back then. As more and more makers turned to palm oil as a base, I increasingly relied on Vinolia, which is really all I've used for the last two or three years, maybe longer.
Regards,
Gordon
Araner

Post by Araner »

Gordon,

Isn't the Vinolia soap a little hard to find in the United States?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Araner, Oh very....always has been really. C-M has stocked it on and off at times, and for awhile I could get it at their shop here for $5 a pop. But now, The Soap Opera in Madison, Wisconsin and The Vermont Country Store are the only two US sources that I know of. The last time I ordered like 13 cakes at once just so that I would be covered for awhile. Suppossedly their new version is only partially tallow based, but thus far I've managed to find the older stuff. A truly superb, very old fashioned high quality bath soap, IMO.
Regards,
Gordon