Cusson's Imperial Leather Bath Soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Dave-itt

Post by Dave-itt »

I just scored two bars of Trumper's Spanish Leather bath soap, and
find it nearly identical to Imperial Leather soap!

The disparity in quality, scent and latherability is so small
that it doesn't justify the price difference.

Needless to say, I'll be going with the cheaper option in future!
David speaks a dozen languages and has friends from here to the Sudan.. he'll blend in; disappear; you'll never see him again. With any luck, he has The Grail already..
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

I would throw in for one or two if someone wanted to split a quantity to try.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
brothers

Post by brothers »

Finally used up my bar of Kirk's Castile and broke out a brand new bar of Imperial Leather this morning. It's good bath soap, obviously, not that they were waiting breathlessly for my report. But I'm glad to have located it, and it's just a little bit more identifiable as "mine" than the others have been. Puzzled a couple of seconds over the sticker, decided it was meant to be removed so off it went.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Gary, you REMOVED the sticker?!

Enjoy the soap. It's good stuff.

BTW, getting back to the the different bars, the 'regular' Imperial Leather soap is described on the UK packaging as being ivory in colour.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I always remember Imperial Leather to be Ivory in color, but its been a long time since I've used it.

BTW, is it still sold in a red card packaging?
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Gary no, unfortunately not. They now wrap each bar in clear plastic and then package them all up in one big plastic wrapper with Imperial Leather on it.

Gareth
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gareth, The ones we get here, which are marked as 'Made in the UK', are plastic wrapped and then packaged in individual cardboard containers which are white and red. The soap is light tan in color and smells quite a bit like Trumpers Almond shave soap. These are marked as 'Original'. One also sometimes sees white cakes but these are marked 'for sensitive skin'....or something like that, and have a more feminine floral scent.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gareth wrote:Gary no, unfortunately not. They now wrap each bar in clear plastic and then package them all up in one big plastic wrapper with Imperial Leather on it.

Gareth
The package I got at the Indian Grocery was more like Gareth's.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I bought some today. It smelled more of medicine than leather, let along Spanish Leather. Did I get a varient? The color is white-ish. I also got Mysore Sandalwood Government Soap. Just 99c and very odd smelling. Nothing like C&E sandalwood.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

The white one isn' the original (sensitive is how they describe it).

The 'real' ones are the ivory coloured bars. Like Gordon said, they smell similar to Trumper's Almond.

Gareth
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

My color vision is imperfect and my color discernment is worse. The bar is ivory like old piano keys not white like Ivory soap.

On second use the Mysore soap is disturbingly anamalic.
jhclare

Post by jhclare »

I find the smell fresh out of the wrapper a bit harsh, bordering on unpleasant, but after a couple of days to breathe it smells much, much better.

Anyone else noticed this?

I find for a mass-produced soap, it's one of the least-drying I've tried.

John